- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study of design parameters on flutter stability of cable-stayed bridges
- Zhang, Xin-Jun (Department of Civil Engineering, Zhejiang University of Technology) ;
- Sun, Bing-Nan (Department of Civil Engineering, Zhejiang University)
- Received : 2003.01.01
- Accepted : 2003.08.09
- Published : 2003.08.25
Flutter stability is one of major concerns on the design of long-span cable-stayed bridges. Considering the geometric nonlinearity of cable-stayed bridges and the effects due to the nonlinear wind-structure interactions, a nonlinear method is proposed to analyze the flutter stability of cable-stayed bridges, and a computer program NFAB is also developed. Taking the Jingsha bridge over the Yangtze River as example, parametric analyses on flutter stability of the bridge are carried out, and some important design parameters that affect the flutter stability of cable-stayed bridges are pointed out.
- Agar, T.J. (1989), "Aerodynamic flutter analysis of suspension bridges by a modal technique", Engrg. Struct., 11, 75-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(89)90016-3
- Boonyapinyo, V., Yamada, H. and Miyata, T. (1994), "Wind-induced nonlinear lateral-torsional buckling of cable-stayed bridges", J. Struct. Engrg., ASCE, 120(2), 486-506. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1994)120:2(486)
- Chen, J., Jiang, J.J., Xiao, R.C. and Xiang, H.F. (2002), "Nonlinear aerostatic stability analysis of Jiangyin suspension bridge", Engineering Structures, 24, 773-781. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00006-8
- Ge, Y.J. and Tanaka, H. (2000), "Aerodynamic flutter analysis of cable-supported bridges by multi-mode and full-mode approaches", J. Wind Engrg. Indust. Aerodyn., 86, 125-153.
- Jain, A., Jones, N.P. and Scanlan, R.H. (1996), "Coupled aeroelastic and aerodynamic response analysis of longspan bridge", J. Wind Engrg. Indust. Aerodyn., 60, 69-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(96)00024-4
- Namini, A.H. (1992), "Finite element-based flutter analysis of cable-suspended bridge", J. Struct. Engrg., ASCE, 118(6), 1509-1526. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1992)118:6(1509)
- Scanlan, R.H. and Jones, N.P. (1990), "Aeroelastic analysis of cable-stayed bridges", J. Struct. Engrg., ASCE, 116(2), 279-297. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1990)116:2(279)
- Scanlan, R.H. and Tomoko, J.J. (1971), "Airfoil and bridge deck flutter derivatives", J. Eng. Mech. Div. ASCE, 97(6), 1717-1737.
- Song, J.Z. (1999), Wind-resistant Research on the Jingsha bridge. Res. Rep. of Tongji University, Shanghai.
- Tanaka, H., Yamamura, N. and Tatsumi, M. (1992), "Coupled mode flutter analysis using flutter derivatives", J. Wind. Engrg. Ind. Aerodyn., 41-44, 1279-1290.
- Yan, G.M. (1996), Modern Cable-Stayed Bridges, Southwest Jiaotong University Press.
- Zhang, X.J., Sun, B.N. and Xiang, H.F. (2002), "Nonlinear aerostatic and aerodynamic analysis of long-span suspension bridges considering wind-structure interactions", J. Wind Engrg. Indust. Aerodyn, 90(9), 1065-1080. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(02)00251-9
- Zhang, X.J., Chen, A.R. and Xiang, H.F. (2002), "Three-dimensional nonlinear flutter anslysis of long-span suspension bridges", China Civil Engineering Journal, 35(5), 42-46 (in Chinese).
- Zhang, X.J. (2000), "Three-dimensional nonlinear flutter anslysis of long-span bridges", PhD thesis, Tongji University, Shanghai, China (in Chinese).