- Volume 3 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Inelastic distortional buckling of cantilevers
- Lee, Dong-Sik (Department of Civil, Urban and Geosystem Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Bradford, Mark Andrew (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The University of New South Wales)
- Received : 2002.02.08
- Accepted : 2002.11.25
- Published : 2003.02.25
Cantilevers are unique statically determinate structural elements with respect to their mode of overall buckling, in that the tension flange is the critical flange under gravity loading, and is the flange that deflects greatest during overall buckling. While this phenomenon does not complicate the calculation of the lateral buckling load, either theoretically or in structural design codes, it has been shown in previous research that the influence of distortion in the elastic buckling of cantilevers is not the same as that experienced in the elastic buckling of simply supported beams. This paper extends the study of the distortional buckling of cantilevers into the hitherto unconsidered inelastic range of structural response. A finite element method for studying the inelastic bifurcative instability of members whose cross-sections may distort during buckling is described, and the efficacy of the method is demonstrated. It is then used to study the inelastic distortional buckling of hot-rolled I-section cantilevers with two common patterns of residual stresses, and which may be restrained elastically from buckling by other structural elements.
- Ronagh, H.R. and Bradford, M.A. (1994), "Some notes on finite element buckling formulations for beams", Computers and Structures, 52(6), 1119-1126. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(94)90178-3
- Ronagh, H.R., Golestani-Rad, M. and Bradford, M.A. (2000), "Finite element instability analysis of composite bridge girders", Proceedings of International Conference on Computational Techniques in Engineering, Leuven, Belgium, 195-200.
- Smith, S.T., Bradford, M.A. and Oehlers, D.J. (1999), "Local buckling of side-plated reinforced concrete beams. I: Theoretical study", Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 125(6), 622-634. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1999)125:6(622)
- Trahair, N.S. (1993). Flexural-Torsional Buckling of Structures. E&FN Spon, London.
- Anderson, J.M. and Trahair, N.S. (1972), "Stability of monosymmetric beams and cantilevers", Journal of the Structural Division, ASCE, 98(ST1), 269-286.
- Assadi, M. and Roeder, C.W. (1985), "Stability of continuously restrained cantilevers", Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 111(2), 1450-1456.
- Attard, M.M. (1984), "The elastic flexural-torsional response of thin-walled open beams", PhD Thesis, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
- Attard, M.M. and Bradford, M.A. (1990), "Bifurcation experiments on monosymmetric cantilevers", Twelfth Australasian Conf. on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials, Brisbane, Australia, 207-213.
- Bradford, M.A. (1988), "Buckling of elastically restrained beams with web distortions", Thin-Walled Structures, 6, 287-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8231(88)90005-5
- Bradford, M.A. (1990), "Distortional buckling strength of elastically restrained monosymmetric I-beams", Thin- Walled Structures, 9, 339-350. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8231(90)90051-Y
- Bradford, M.A. (1992), "Buckling of doubly-symmetric cantilevers with thin webs", Engineering Structures, 14(5), 327-334. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(92)90046-S
- Bradford, M.A. (1998), "Distortional buckling of elastically restrained cantilevers", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 14(1-2), 3-18.
- Bradford, M.A. (1999), "Elastic distortional buckling of tee-section cantilevers", Thin-Walled Structures, 33(1), 3-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(98)00039-1
- Bradford, M.A. and Trahair, N.S. (1985), "Inelastic buckling of beam-columns with unequal end moments", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 5, 195-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(85)90003-3
- Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd. (1998), BHP Hot Rolled Products, BHP, Melbourne, Australia.
- Lee, D.S. and Bradford, M.A. (2002), "Inelastic buckling of simply supported beams by the finite element method", submitted for publication.
- Nethercot, D.A. (1973), "The solution of inelastic lateral stability problems by the finite element method", Proceedings of 4th Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials, Brisbane, Qld., Australia, 183.
- Wang, C.M. and Kitipornchai, S. (1986), "On the stability of monosymmetric cantilevers", Engineering Structures, 8, 169-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(86)90050-7
- Inelastic lateral-distortional buckling of continuously restrained continuous beams vol.5, pp.4, 2005, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2005.5.4.305