- Volume 27 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Plastic Limit Load Solutions for Circumferential Surface Cracked Cylinders Under Combined Loading
복합하중이 작용하는 원주방향 표면균열배관에 대한 소성한계하중식
- Published : 2003.09.01
This paper provides plastic limit load solutions of cylinders with circumferential part-through surface cracks under combined axial tension, internal pressure and global bending. Such solutions are developed based on detailed three-dimensional (3-D) finite element (FE) limit analyses using elastic-perfectly-plastic material behaviour, together with analytical solutions based on equilibrium stress fields. For the crack location, both external and internal cracks are considered. Furthermore, in terms of the crack shape, both semi-elliptical and constant-depth surface cracks are considered. The resulting limit load solutions are given in a closed form, and thus can be easily used in practical situations. Being based on detailed 3-D FE limit analysis, the present solutions are believed to most reliable, and thus to be valuable information for integrity assessment of piping.
- 2001, 'Evaluation of Flaws in Ferritic Piping,' Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section XI, Appendix H, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- 2001, 'R6: Assessment of the Integrity of Structures Containing Defects,' Revision 4, British Energy Generation Ltd.
- Ainsworth, R.A., 1984, 'The Assessment of Defects in Structures of Strain Hardening Materials,' Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 19, pp. 633-642 https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(84)90096-1
- Miller, A.G, 1988, 'Review of Limit Loads of Structures Containing Defects,' International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 32, pp. 191-327 https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-0161(88)90073-7
- 1999, SINTAP Final Procedure, Brite Euram Project, BE95-1426
- Chell, G.G., 1989, 'Application to the CEGB Failure Assessment Procedure, R6, to Surface Flaws,' CEGB Report, RD/L/3415/R88, CEGB
- Miller, A.G, 1988, 'J Estimation for Surface Defects; Further Results,' CEGB Memorandum TPRD/B/SM/SF951M88
- Kim, Y,J., 2000, 'Reference Stress Based J Estimation for Surface Crack Assessments: Global versus Local Limit Loads,' British Energy Report, E/REP/GEN/0010/00, British Energy Generation Ltd.
- Shim, D.J., Kim, Y,J., Choi, J.B. and Kim, Y.J., 2002, 'Engineering Elastic-Plastic Fracture Analysis for Semi-Elliptical Surface Cracked Plates Under Combined Bending and Tension,' Transaction of the KSME (A), Vol. 26, No.6, pp. 1127-1134 https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2002.26.6.1127
- Goodall, I. W., Webster, G.A., 2001, 'Theoretical Determination of Reference Stress for Partially Penetration Flaws in Plates,' International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 78, pp. 687-695 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-0161(01)00084-9
- 2001, 'ABAQUS User's manual,' Hibbitt, Karlson & Sorensen, Inc.
- Shim, D.J., Huh, N.S., Kim, Y.J. and Kim, Y.J., 2003, 'Plastic Limit Pressure for Cracked Pipes Using Finite Element Limit Analyses,' Transaction of the KSME (A), Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 26-33 https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2003.27.1.026
- Rahman, S., 1998, 'Net-Section-Collapse Analysis of Circumferentially Cracked Cylinders - Part II: Idealized Cracks and Closed-Form Solutions,' Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 61, pp. 213-230 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7944(98)00061-7
- Jones, M.R., Eshelby, J.M., 1990, 'Limit Solutions for Circumferential Cracked Cylinders Under Internal Pressure and Combined Tension and Bending,' Nuclear Electric Report TD/SID/REP/0032, Nuclear Electric Ltd.