- Volume 48 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Courseware Instruction Using Scaffolding Strategy on 10th Grade Students' Learning Chemical Reaction Rate
10학년의 화학반응속도 학습에서 스캐폴딩 전략을 적용한 코스웨어 수업의 효과
- Published : 2004.06.20
The purpose of this study were to develop of courseware using scaffolding strategy and to investigate the effect of courseware instruction upon students' conceptual understanding and affective domain including effort and self-checking. 10th grade students in the experimental and control groups were selected from high school at Cheongwon-gun in Chungbuk, and taught about chemical reaction rate for 3 class hours. The students in the experimental group studied individually through courseware using scaffolding strategy and worksheet and teacher-centered expository lesson was used in the control group. Prior to the instructions, test specification for problem-solving assessment (TSPSA) was administered and the scores of the previous science achievement test were obtained. After the instructions, the posttest on conceptual understanding and TSPSA were administered. Results of this study revealed that the mean score of the experimental group in the conceptual understanding test was similar to that of the control group at statistically significant level. This result implies that the courseware using scaffolding strategy could be a tool of the individualized instruction. The experimental group improved significantly better in three components of the TSPSA such as effort, self-checking, and cognitive strategy. From this result, it is considered that learners' self regulation is improved by being taken over responsibility of learning. So, it is suggested that instruction using scaffolding strategy is needed in science class to improve self-leading learning ability.
- Hur, H.-K. J. Kor. Edu. Res. 1996, 34, 314.
- Jeong, W.-H.; Kwon, J.-S.; Kim, D.-S.; Kim, B.-K; Sin,Y.-J.; Woo, U.-O.; Lee, K.-J.; Jeong, J.-W.; Choi, B.-S.;Hwang, W.-K. High School Science; Hyohaksa Publishing:Seoul, Korea, 2002; pp 156-173.
- Kim, K.-H. The effects of social interaction using ARCS strategies on the development of learning motivation and reaction rate concept; Ph.D. Thesis, Korea National University of Education: 2002.
- Jackson, S. L.; Krajcik, J.; Soloway, E. Proceedings ofCHI (computer-human interaction) 98; 1998; p 190.
- Kim, K.-S. The correlation between concepts on reactionrate and concepts on chemical equilibrium in highschool students; M. Ed. Thesis, Korea National Universityof Education: 2003.
- Noh, T.-H.; Cha, J.-H.; Kim, C.-M. J. Kor. Assoc. Res.Sci. Educ. 1999, 19, 134.
- Song, S.-H. Kor. Res. Educ. Psychology 2000, 14, 89.
- Lee, Y.-W.; Kang, S.-B.; Kim, I.-S.; Kim, S.-J.; Lee, J.-W.; Ahn, J.-J.; Bae, M.-J.; Jeon, H.-Y. High School Science;Seoul Goeyuk Publishing: Seoul, Korea, 2002;pp 136-148.
- Howe, A. C. Sci. Educ. 1996, 80, 46.
- Lee, M.-W.; Jeon, S.-Y.; Chio, B.-S.; Kwon, S.-M.; Noh, T.-H.; Hur, S.-I.; Kim, C.-B.; Kang, S.-J.; Park, H.-H.; Kim, K.-H.; Kim, G. High School Science; Kumsung Publishing: Seoul, Korea, 2002; pp 174-196.
- Kim, C.-J.; Seo, M.-S.; Kim, H.-B.; Sim, J.-H.; Hyeon,J.-O.; Han, I.-Y.; Kwon, S.-K.; Park, S.-S. High SchoolScience; Didimdol Publishing: Seoul, Korea, 2002; pp146-158.
- Bell, P.; Davis, E. A. Fourth International Conferenceof the Learning Sciences; 2000; p 145.
- Kang, I.-A. Why constructivism? Moonyem Publishing:Seoul, Korea, 1997; pp 68-80.
- Vygotsky, L. S. Thought and language; A. Kouzulin(Trans.); MIT Press: Cambridge, 1978; pp 146-209.
- Han, S.-M. Vygotsky and education; KyoyuokkwahakPublishing: Seoul, Korea, 1999; pp 139-146.
- Lee, G.-S.; Cho, H.-H.; Park, B.-S.; Park, M.-S.; Sim, K.-S.; Sim, J.-S.; Choi, J.-B.; Jang, J.-C.; Lee, C.-J.; Lee, Y.-J. High School Science; Daehan Publishing: Seoul, Korea, 2002; pp 156-175.
- O'Neil, H. F. Jr.; Schacter, J. Test specifications forproblem-solving assessment; CSE (Center for the Studyof Evaluation) Technical Report 463: 1997.
- Reiser, B. J. Proceedings of CSCL (Computer Supportfor Collaborative Learning) 2002; 2002; p 258.
- Woo, G.-H.; Lee, C.-W.; Oh, D.-H.; Kim, Y.-Y.; Keong, J.-B.; Lee, K.-H.; Park, T.-H.; Lee, Y.-J.; Baik, S.-K.; Kim, B.-I.; Kim, B.-R.; Lee, K.-Y. High School Science; Jungang Publishing: Seoul, Korea, 2002; pp 164-183.
- Choi, B.-S.; Kim, J.-K. Chem. Educ. of Kor. Chem.Soc. 1994, 21, 85.
- Salomon, G.; Globerson, T.; Guterman, E. J. Educ. Psychology.1989, 81, 626.
- Improved Experiment of the Learning Contents of 'Chemical Reaction Rate' Unit: Reaction of Dilute Hydrochloric Acid and Magnesium Ribbons vol.53, pp.1, 2009, https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2009.53.1.051