- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Immunological Changes on Allergic Response after Beevenom Immunotherapy
봉독 면역요법후의 면역학적 변화에 대한 고찰 -알레르기 질환에 응용 가능성을 중심으로-
- Han, Dong-Ha (Department of Internal Medicine, Namchun Oriental Medical Hospital)
- 한동하 (남천한방병원 한방내과)
- Published : 2004.12.30
Beevenom immunotherapy(BVIT) in allergic patients is a well-established treatment modality for the prevention of systemic anaphylactic reactions caused by insect stings. BVIT is accompanied by increases in allergen-specific IgG, particularly the IgG4 isotype, which blocks not only IgE-dependent histamine release from basophils but also IgE-mediated antigen presentation to T cells. Inhibition of T cells after BVIT also involves decreased induction of the costimulatory molecule ICOS, which, in turn, seems to be dependent on the presence of IL-10, also associated with the inhibited status of T cells after BVIT. Suppression of T cells by IL-10 is an active process, which depends on the expression and participation of CD28. Immune tolerance in specific allergen immunotherapy might be a consequence of decreased Th2 or increased Th1 response of allergen specific T lymphocytes. BVIT shifted cytokine responses to allergen from a TH-2 to a TH-1 dominant pattern, suggesting direct effects on T cells. Many studies showed that severe side effects due to venom immunotherapy are rare. These results suggest that immunological changes after BVIT may be applied to be therapeutic alternative of general allergic diseases including beevenom allergy.
- Elliott MJ, Elliot FE, John WY, Charles ER, N. Franklin Adkinson, William WB. ALLERGY Principles & Practice(II). 5th edition. St. Louis : Mosby ; 1998, p.1050.
- Wenzel J, Meissner-Kraemer M, Bauer R, Bieber T, Gerdsen R. Safety of rush insect venom immunotherapy.The results of a retrospective study in 178 patients. Allergy. 2003 Nov; 58(11) : 1176-9.
- Bellinghausen I, Klostermann B, Bottcher I, Knop J, Saloga J. Importance of the inducible costimulator molecule for the induction of allergic immune responses and its decreased expression on T helper cells after venom immunotherapy. Immunology. 2004 May ;112(1):80–6.
- TePas EC, Umetsu DT. Immunotherapy of asthma and allergic diseases. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2000 Dec; 12(6) : 574-8.
- Bellinghausen I, Knop J, Saloga J. The role of interleukin 10 in the regulation of allergic immune responses. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2001 Oct; 126(2) : 97-101. https://doi.org/10.1159/000049499
- Nam KW, Je KH, Lee JH, Han HJ, Lee HJ, Kang SK, Mar W. Inhibition of COX-2 activity and proinflammatory cytokines (TNF-alpha and IL-1beta) production by water-soluble sub-fractionated parts from bee (Apis mellifera) venom. Arch Pharm Res. 2003 May ; 26(5) : 383-8.
- Kwon YB, Kim HW, Ham TW, Yoon SY, Roh DH, Han HJ, Beitz AJ, Yang IS, Lee JH. The anti-inflammatory effect of bee venom stimulation in a mouse air pouch model is mediated by adrenal medullary activity. J Neuroendocrinol. 2003 Jan; 15(1) : 93-6.
- 윤형석, 김용석, 이재동. 통증관련 봉독연구에 대한 고찰. 대한약침학회지. 2000; 3(1): 157-75.
- 이흥석, 고형균, 김용석, 박영배, 김창환, 강성길, MEDLINE에서 검색한 봉독과 면역에 대한 고찰. 경희한의대논문집. 1997;20(1) : 353-66.
- 이응경, 고형균, 이윤호. 자가면역질환의 봉독요법에 대한 Pubmed 검색을 통한 고찰. 대한침구학회지. 2001; 18(6) : 232-9.
- Yang X. Does allergen immunotherapy alter the natural course of allergic disorders? Drugs. 2001 ; 61(3) : 365-74. https://doi.org/10.2165/00003495-200161030-00005
- Kleine-Tebbe J, Fuchs T, Klimek L, Kuhr J, Lepp U, Niggemann B, Rakoski J, Renz H, Saloga J, Simon J. Allergen immunotherapy-a position paper of the German society for allergology and clinical immunology. Pneumologie. 2001 Sep; 55(9) : 438-44. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2001-16954
- Novembre E, Cianferoni A, Bernardini R, Veltroni M, Ingargiola A, Lombardi E, Vierucci A. Epidemiology of insect venom sensitivity in children and its correlation to clinical and atopic features. Clin Exp Allergy. 1998 Jul ; 28(7) : 834-8.
- Sturm G, Kranke B, Rudolph C, Aberer W. Rush Hymenoptera venom immunotherapy: a safe and practical protocol for high-risk patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2002 Dec; 110(6) : 928-33.
- Carballada F, Martin S, Boquete M. High efficacy and absence of severe systemic reactions after venom immunotherapy. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2003; 13(1) : 43-9.
- Machin IS, Robaina JCG, Bonnet C, de Blas C, Fernandez-Caldas E, Trivino MS, de la Morin FT. Immunotherapy units: a follow-up study. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2001 ; 11(3) : 167-71.
- Youlten LJ, Atkinson BA, Lee TH. The incidence and nature of adverse reactions to injection immunotherapy in bee and wasp venom allergy. Clin Exp Allergy. 1995 Feb; 25(2) : 159-65.
- Goto A, Ohtani M. Measurement of bee venom specific IgG antibody in bee venom hypersensitivity and the relation between the specific IgE antibody and total IgE. Radioisotopes. 1983 Sep; 32(9): 404-10.
- Till SJ, Francis JN, Nouri-Aria K, Durham SR. Mechanisms of immunotherapy. Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004 Jun; 113(6) : 1025-34
- Michils A, Baldassarre S, Ledent C, Mairesse M, Gossart B, Duchateau J. Early effect of ultrarush venom immunotherapy on the IgG antibody response. Allergy. 2000 May; 55(5) : 455-62.
- Nasser SM, Ying S, Meng Q, Kay AB, Ewan PW. Interleukin-10 levels increase in cutaneous biopsies of patients undergoing wasp venom immunotherapy. Eur J Immunol. 2001 Dec; 31(12):3704-13.
- Blaser K, Akdis CA, Faith A. Differential regulation of allergen-specific antibodies in allergy and specific immunotherapy. Arb Paul Ehrlich Inst Bundesamt Sera Impfstoffe Frankf A M. 1999(93) : 243-51.
- Ewan PW. New insight into immunological mechanisms of venom immunotherapy. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2001 Aug; 1(4) : 367-74.
- Akdis CA, Joss A, Akdis M, Blaser K. Mechanism of IL-10-induced T cell inactivation in allergic inflammation and normal response to allergens. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2001 Jan-Mar; 124(1-3): 180-2.
- McHugh SM, Deighton J, Stewart AG, Lachmann PJ, Ewan PW. Bee venom immunotherapy induces a shift in cytokine responses from a TH-2 to a TH-1 dominant pattern: comparison of rush and conventional immunotherapy. Clin Exp Allergy. 1995 Sep ; 25(9) : 828-38.
- Kosnik M, Wraber B. Shift from Th2 to Th1 response in immunotherapy with venoms. Pflugers Arch. 2000 ; 440(5 Suppl) : R70-1.
- Magnan A, Marin V, Mely L, Birnbaum J, Romanet S, Bongrand P, Vervloet D. Venom immunotherapy induces monocyte activation. Clin Exp Allergy. 2001 Aug; 31(8) : 1303-9.
- Schafer T, Przybilla B. IgE antibodies to Hymenoptera venoms in the serum are common in the general population and are related to indications of atopy. Allergy. 1996 Jun ; 51(6) : 372-7.
- Rueff F, Przybilla B. Venom immunotherapy: adverse reactions and treatment failure. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004 Aug;4(4): 307-11.
- Muller UR. Recent developments and future strategies for immunotherapy of insect venom allergy. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003 Aug; 3(4) : 299-303. https://doi.org/10.1097/00130832-200308000-00011
- Nettis E, Giordano D, Ferrannini A, Tursi A. Systemic reactions to allergen immunotherapy: a review of the literature. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2003 Feb; 25(1): 1-11.