- Volume 7 Issue 1 Serial No. 12
DOI QR Code
Effect of Herbal Acupuncture with Sang-hwang(Phellinus linteus) on High Fat Diet-induced Obesity in Rats
지방식이로 유도된 비만동물모델에서의 약침의 효과
- Kim, Ji-Hyun (Lab. of Acupuncture & Meridian, Dept. of Oriental Medical Science, Graduate School of East-West Medicial Science, Kyung Hee Univ.) ;
- Park, Chang-Shin (Dept. of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, Inha Univ.) ;
- Hahm, Dae-Hyun (Lab. of Acupuncture & Meridian, Dept. of Oriental Medical Science, Graduate School of East-West Medicial Science, Kyung Hee Univ.) ;
- Lee, Hye-Jung (Lab. of Acupuncture & Meridian, Dept. of Oriental Medical Science, Graduate School of East-West Medicial Science, Kyung Hee Univ.) ;
- Shim, In-Sop (Lab. of Acupuncture & Meridian, Dept. of Oriental Medical Science, Graduate School of East-West Medicial Science, Kyung Hee Univ.)
- 김지현 (경희대학교 동서의학대학원 한의과학과 침구경락학교실) ;
- 박창신 (인하대학교 의과대학 약리학교실) ;
- 함대현 (경희대학교 동서의학대학원 한의과학과 침구경락학교실) ;
- 이혜정 (경희대학교 동서의학대학원 한의과학과 침구경락학교실) ;
- 심인섭 (경희대학교 동서의학대학원 한의과학과 침구경락학교실)
- Published : 2004.02.29
Acupuncture has fairly good weight-reducing effect in treating simple obesity due to the neuroendocrine regulation. In this study, the antiobesity effects of herbal acupuncture(HA) with Sang-hwang(phellinus linteus) at Fuai(SP16) were investigated in the rat fed on high-fat(HF) diet. Sang-hwang mushroom has been proven to have anti-carcinogenic effects and Sang-hwang extracts are highly effective in treatment and preventive treatment of AIDS, diabetes and high blood-pressure. To determine whether the Sang-hwang herbal acupuncture may have the anti-obesity effect, male Sprague-Dawley(4-wk-old) rats were fed a HF diet for 5 wk, which produced significant weight gain compared to rats were fed a normal diet, and then herbal acupuncture were treated for 3 wk in HF diet group. The body weight, food consumption, food effeciency ratio(FER), body fat mass, plasma nitric oxide(NO) were investigated in rats fed on normal diet, HF diet, and HF diet with HA(HF-diet-HA) groups. NO has been proposed to be involved in the regulation of food intake. In addition, the expression of appetite peptides such as orexigenic peptide neuropeptide Y(NPY) and the anorectic peptide cholecystokinin(CCK) were observed in the hypothalamus. HF-HA group reduced body weight gain, FER, body fat contents and NO concentration compared to HF diet group. The expression of NPY was reduced in arcuate nucleus(ARC), and CCK was increased in the paraventricular nucleus(PVN) after treatment of HA. In conclusion, Sang-hwang HA reduced adipocity, plasma NO and hypothalamic NPY, but increased CCK expression in the HF dietinduced obesity rat, therefore HA may have anti-obesity action through regulating body weight and appetite peptide of the central nervous system.
- Grundy SM. Multi-factorial causation of obesity: implications for prevention. Am J Clin Nutr 1998 ; 67 (Suppl) : 563s-572s https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/67.3.563S
- Albu J, Allison D, Boozer CN, Heymsfield D, Kissileff H, Kretser A, et al. Obesity Solution: Report of a Meeting. Nur Rev 1997;55(5):150–156.
- Leonhardt M, Hrupka B, Langhans W. New approaches in the pharmacological treatment of obesity. Eur J Nurt 1999;38:1–13.
- 전국한의과대학 침구경혈학 교실. 침구학. 서울: 集文堂. 1988 : 1370
- 전국한의과대학 재활의학과학교실. 동의재활의학과학. 서울: 集文堂. 1995: 570-575, 578-581
- 김기옥. 의료기공 II. 서울: 도서출판 단비. 1994. 68
- Dawson TM, Dawson VL, Snyder SH. A novel neuronal messenger molecule in brain. Ann Neurol 1992;32:297–311. https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.410320302
- Morley JE, Flood JF. Evidence that nitric oxide modulates food intake in mice. Life Sci 1991;49:707–711. https://doi.org/10.1016/0024-3205(91)90102-H
- Stricker-Krograd A, Beck B, Burlet C. Nitric oxide mediates hyperphagia of obese Zucker rats: relation to specific changes in the microstructure of feeding behavior. Life Sci 1996;58:PL9–PL15. https://doi.org/10.1016/0024-3205(95)02260-0
- Stanley BG, Leibowitz SF, Neuropeptide Y. Stimulation of feeding and drinking by injection into the paraventricular nucleus. Life Sci 1984;36:2635–2642.
- Crawley JN, Corwin RL. Biological actions of cholecystokinin. Peptides 1994;15:731–755. https://doi.org/10.1016/0196-9781(94)90104-X
- Brobeck JR. Mechanism of the development of obesity in animals with hypothalamic lesions. Physiol Rev 1946;26:541–559. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.19184.108.40.2061
- Wilding JPH. Neuropeptides and appetite control. Diabetes UK. Diabetic Medicine 2002;19:619–627. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1464-5491.2002.00790.x
- 김병각, 김양선, 석순자, 성재모, 신재용, 안영남. 버섯건강용법. 상황버섯의 효능. 가림출판사 1995.
- 김영공, 신배구, 김재성, 배원식. 동의보감. 남산당. p1149
- Paxinos G, Watson C. The Rat Brain: in sterotaxic coordinates. Fourth edition. San Diago: Academic press. 1988.
- 대한비만학회. 임상비만학. 서울: 고려의학. 1995 : pp.11-16, 93-111, 121-148, 184-189,205-206, p. 341, 395, pp. 417-422
- 성낙옹. 비만과 식생활. 대한의학협회지. 1989;32(15):502–506
- 中醫硏究院主編 中醫症狀鑑別診斷學. 北京: 人民衛生出版社. 1989 ; 415
- 陣貴廷. 實用中西醫結合診斷治療學. 北京: 木支出版社. 1991 ; 683
- 鍼灸學 (上) 全國韓醫科大學 鍼灸.經穴學敎室. 編著, 集文堂. 2001 ; 414-415
- Ikegawa T, Nakanishi M, Uehara N, Chihara G, Fukuoka F. Antitomor action of some Basidiomycetes, especially Phellinus linteus. Gann 1968;59(2):155.
- Oh GT, Hans SR, Kim HM, Han MW, Yoo ID. Immunostimulation activity of Phellinus linteus extracts to B-lymphocyte. Arch Pharm Res 1992;15(4):372. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02974118
- Lee JH, Cho SM, Song KS, Han SB, Kim HM, Hong ND, et al. Immonostimulating activity and charaterization of polysaccharide from mycelium of Phellinus linteus. J Mycrobiol Biotechnol 1996;6(3):213.
- Chung KS, Kim SS, Kim HS, Kim KY, Han MW, Kim KH. Effect of Kp, an antitumor protein-polysaccharide from mycelial culture of Phellinus linteus on the humoral immune response of tumor-bearing ICR mice to sheep red blood cell. Arch. Pharm. Res. 1993;16(4):336. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02977527
- 정경수, 김신숙, 김희수, 한만우, 김병각. Phellinus linteus 균사 배양물로부터 분히한 단백다당체 Kp의 항암활성. 약학회지 1994;38(2):158
- 한용석, 박순영, 최병기, 정세영. 재배 상황버섯 추출물의 경구 투여 급성독성 연구. 응용약물학회지. 2001;9:46
- Anand BK, Brobeck JR. Hypothalamic control of food intake in rats and cats. Yale J Biol Med 1951;24:123–146.
- Oomura Y, Ooyama H, Yamamoto T, Naka F. Reciprocal relationship of the lateral and ventromedial hypothalamus in the regulation of food intake. Physiol Behav 1967;2:97–115. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9384(67)90020-0
- Sclafani A, Kirchgessner A. The role of the medial hypothalamus in the control of food intake: an updates. In: Ritter RC, Ritter S, Barness CD(eds) Feeding Behavior. Academic Press, New York, 1986 : pp. 27-66
- Sclafani A. Neural pathways involved in the ventrimedial hypothalamic lesion syndrome in the rat. J Comp Physiol Psychol 1971;77:70–96. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0031574
- Chronwall BM. Anatomy and physiology of the neuroendocrine arcuate nucleus. Peptides 1985;6(suppl 2) : -11 https://doi.org/10.1016/0196-9781(85)90128-7
- Kalra PS, Dube MG, Xu B, Kalra SP. Increased receptor sensitivity to neuropeptide Y in the hypothalamus may underlie transient hyperphagia and body weight gain. Regul Pept 1997;72:121–130. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-0115(97)01045-8
- Gehlert DR. Role of hypothalamic neuropeptide Y in feeding and obesity. Neuropeptides 1999;33(5):329–338. https://doi.org/10.1054/npep.1999.0057
- Gibbs J, Young RC, Smith GP. Cholecystokinin decreases food intake in rats. J Comp Physiol Psychol 1973;84:488–495. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0034870
- Antin J, Gibbs J, Holt J, Young RC, Smith GP. Cholecystokinin elicits the complete behavioral sequence of satiety in rats. J Comp Physiol Psychol 1975;89(7):784–790. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0077040
- Vanderhaeghen JJ, Lotstra F, DeMey J, Gilles C. Immunohistochemical localization of cholycystokinin- and gastrin- like peptides in the brain and hypophysis of the rat. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 1980;77(2):1190–1194. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.77.2.1190
- Lim K, Shimomura Y, Suzuky M. Effects of high-fat diet feeding over generations on body fat accumulation. In: Obesity: Dietary Factors and Control(Romsos D.R., Himms-Hagen J, Suzuky M, eds.), Karger, Basel, Switzerland 1991. p.181-190
- Portillo MP, Simon E, Garcia-Calonge MA, Del Barrio AS. Effects of high-fat diet on lypolisis in isolated adipocytes from visceral and subcutaneous WAT. Eur J Nutr 1999;38:177–182. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003940050059
- Kiss JS, Williams TH, Palkovits M. Distribution and projections of cholecystokinin-immunoreactive neurons in the hypohtalamic paraventricular nucleus of rat. J Comp Neurol 1984;272(2):173–181.