- Volume 7 Issue 1 Serial No. 12
DOI QR Code
Case Study of Cancer Patients Treated with Herbal Acupuncture Therapy
약침치료를 이용한 각종 암환자의 임상사례
- Yoo, Hwa-Seung (East-West Cancer Center, Oriental Hospital of Daejeon University) ;
- Cho, Jung-Hyo (East-West Cancer Center, Oriental Hospital of Daejeon University) ;
- Lee, Yeon-Weol (East-West Cancer Center, Oriental Hospital of Daejeon University) ;
- Son, Chang-Gue (East-West Cancer Center, Oriental Hospital of Daejeon University) ;
- Choa, Chong-Kwan (East-West Cancer Center, Oriental Hospital of Daejeon University)
- Published : 2004.02.29
Objective : This study was aimed to validate the Herbal Acupuncture Therapies(HAT) for cancer patients. Patients and methods : This retrospective study was performed on 8 patients who were diagnosed as cancer in Korea and treated with HAT in the oriental hospital of Daejeon University, from January 2003 to January 2004. We retrospectively analyzed the medical records of 8 patients for improvement of symptoms, toxic effects of liver and kidney, myelosupression and changes of Quality of Life(QOL). Results : Analysis of change of chief complaints showed that 75% patients replied moderate relief and 25% replied complete relief in Likert scale. Analysis of Liver Function Test(LFT), Renal Function Test(RFT) level showed that HAT does not have toxic effects on liver and kidney. Analysis of Complete Blood Count(CBC) level showed that HAT does not have myelosuppression effects on bone marrow. Analysis of QOL showed that 100% patients replied improvement in Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group status(ECOG) status. Conclusion : Our findings suggest that HAT offer potential benefits for cancer patients.
- Young-Joon Surh. Cnacer chemprevention with dietary phytochemiclas. Nature Reviews Cancer 2003;3:768–780. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1189
- Sibbritt D, Adams J, Easthope G, Young A. Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use among elderly Australian women who have cancer. Support Care Cancer 2003;11:548–550. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-003-0490-4
- Astin JA. Why patients use alternative medicine: results of a national study. JAMA 1998;279:1548–1553. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.279.19.1548
- Choi WJ, Song KC, Choi BR, Lee YY, Seo SH, Yoo HW, Cho JH, Lee YW, Son CG, Cho CK. Study on the anti-angiogenic therapy to cancer disease with oriental medicine. Korean J Orient Int Med 2001;22(4):639–645.
- Yoo HS, Lee YY, Cho JH, Lee YW, Son CG, Cho CK, Hwang KJ. A study on recent tendency of anti-tumor herbal acupuncture. KIHA 2001;4:23–37. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2001.4.3.023
- Yoo HS, Son CG, Cho CK. Effects of Herbal Acupuncture (Soyeum) on cancer patients accompanied by pain. The 2nd Journal of International Congress of KIHA 2003;6(1);20–27.
- Lee Dong-Hee. Incurablediseases and herbal acupuncture. The 2nd Journal of International Congress of KIHA 2003;6(1):10–11.
- Son CG, Han SH, Cho JH, Shin JW, Cho CH, Lee YW, Cho CK. Introduction of hemopoiesis by Saeenghyuldan a mixture of Ginseng Radix, Paeoniae Radix Alba, and Hominis Placenta extracts. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2003;24(2):120–126.
- Oriental Hospital of Daejeon University. Prescripsion Book. HanKook pub. 2001.
- Dau,t R. L., & Cleeland, C. S., & Flanery, R. C., Development of the Wisconsin Brief Pain Qustionnaire to assess pain in cancer and other diseases Pain. 1983;17:197–210. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(83)90143-4
- Oken, M.M., Creech, R.H., Tormey, D.C., Horton, J., Davis, T.E., McFadden, E.T., Carbone, P.P. Toxicity And Response Criteria Of The Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. Am J Clin Oncol 1982;5:649–655. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000421-198212000-00014