- Volume 7 Issue 1 Serial No. 12
DOI QR Code
약침이 반복적인 코카인 투여로 인한 행동적 민감화 현상에 미치는 효과
Effect of Herbal-Acupuncture on Repeated Cocaine-induced Behavioral Sensitization in the Rat
- 이봄비 (경희대학교 동서의학대학원 한의과학과) ;
- 양재하 (대구한의대학교 한의과대학 생리학교실) ;
- 함대현 (경희대학교 동서의학대학원 한의과학과) ;
- 이혜정 (경희대학교 동서의학대학원 한의과학과) ;
- 심인섭 (경희대학교 동서의학대학원 한의과학과)
- Lee, B.B (Oriental Medical Science, Graduate School of East-West Medical Science, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Yang, C.H. (Department of Physiology, College of Oriental Medicine, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Hahm, D.H. (Oriental Medical Science, Graduate School of East-West Medical Science, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Lee, H.J. (Oriental Medical Science, Graduate School of East-West Medical Science, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Shim, I.S. (Oriental Medical Science, Graduate School of East-West Medical Science, Kyung Hee University)
- 발행 : 2004.02.29
Substantial evidence suggests that behavioral and reinforcing effects of cocaine can be mediated by the mesolimbic dopaminergic system. It has been shown that repeated injections of cocaine produce increase in locomotor activity, expression of the immediate-early gene, c-fos in the nucleus accumbens (NAc), which was one of the main dopaminergic terminal areas. Herbal-acupuncture as a therapeutic intervention has been widely used for the treatment of many functional disorders such as drug abuse. Coptidis Rhizoma (CR) and its main component, berberine (BER) were selected as herbal medicine of herbal-acupuncture. Both medicines have been known to have the therapeutic effect on the central nervous system. In order to investigate the effects of CR and BER herbalacupuncture at shenmen (HT7) point (CR/H and BER/H) on the cocaine-induced behavioral sensitization, the influence of CR/H and BER/H on repeated cocaine-induced locomotor activity, the change of c-Fos expression in the brain by immunohistochemistry were examined. Male SD rats were given CR/H (0.4mg/kg) and BER/H (0.1mg/kg) 30 min before daily injections of cocaine hydrochloride (15mg/kg. i.p.) 10 days. After 3 days withdrawal, rats received a challenge injection of cocaine (15mg/kg, i.p.). Systemic challenge with cocaine produced much larger increased locomotor activity, accumbal Fos-like immunoreactivity in the NAc. Pretreatment with CR/H and BER/H significantly inhibited cocaine-induced locomotor activity, the change of c-Fos expression in the rats. Our data demonstrated that the inhibitory effects of cocaine-induced behavioral sensitization by CR/H and BER/H were closely associated with the reduction of presynaptic dopamine release in the NAc. These results suggest that CR/H and BER/H can be effectively applied to cocaine addiction.
- Ahn KS.(1999) The essence of oriental medicine. Sonamoo. Seoul, Korea. p. 295.
- Alonso R, Gnanadicom H, Frechin N, Fournier M, Fur G, Soubrie P. (1999) Blockade of neurotensin receptors suppresses the dopamine D1/D2 synergism on immediate early gene expression in the rat brain. Eur J of Neurosci. 11(3):967–74. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1460-9568.1999.00506.x
- Asin KE, Nikkel AL and Wirtshafter, D.(1994) Repeated D1 receptor agonist treatment blocks cocaine-induced locomotor activity & c-Fos expression. Brain Res.21 : 637((1-2)):342–4. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-8993(94)91258-0
- Avants SK, Margolin A, Chang P, Kosten TR and Birch S.(1995) Acupuncture for the treatment of cocaine addiction: Investigation of a needle puncture control. J Subst Abuse Treat. 12(3) : 195-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/0740-5472(95)00014-V
- Cao XD, Xu SF and Lu WX.(l983) Inhibition of sympathetic nervous system by acupuncture. Acupunct Electrother Res. 8(1) : 25-35. https://doi.org/10.3727/036012983816715028
- Chang CK and Lin MT.(2001) DL-Tetrahydropalmatine may act through inhibition of amygdaloid release of dopamine to inhibit an epileptic attack in rats. Neurosci Lett. 20 ; 307(3) : 163-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3940(01)01962-0
- Clement-Corrnier YC, Meyerson LR, Phillips H and Davis VE.(l979) Dopamine receptor topography. Characterization of antagonist requirements of striatal dopanline-sensitive adenylate cyclase using protoberberine alkaloids. Biochem Pharmacol. 15 ; 28(20) : 3123-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(79)90622-1
- Dismukes K and Mulder AH.(1977) Effects of neuroleptics on release of 3H-dopamine from slices of rat corpus striatum. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 14;297(1) : 23-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00508806
- Emst E, Rand JI and Stevinson C.(1998) Complementary therapies for depression: an overview. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 55 : 1026-32. review. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.55.11.1026
- Fallon JH and Loughlin SE.(1995) Substantia nigra. In : Paxinos G, editior. The rat nervous system. Academic Press. New York, USA. pp. 629-48.
- Foltin RW and Fischman MW.(l988) Ethanol and cocaine interactions in humans : cardiovascular consequences. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 31(4): 877-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-3057(88)90399-1
- Guo H, Yu Y, Xing L, Jin GZ and Zhou J.(2002) (-)Stepholidine promotes proliferation and neuronal differentiation of rat embryonic striatal precursor cells in vitro. Neuroreport. 15;13(16) : 2085-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001756-200211150-00019
- Hans-Ulrich H, Angelika S, Elmar P, Jorg K and Kay L.(2001) Color atlas of acupuncture: Body points, Ear points, Trigger points. Thieme. Stuttgart. New York, USA. pp. 32-3.
- Heilig M, Engel JA and Soderpalm B.(1993) c-fos antisense in the nucleus accumbens blocks the locomotor stimulant action of cocaine. Eur J Pharmacol. 236(2) : 339-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-2999(93)90610-T
- Hwang JM, Wang CJ, Chou FP, Tseng TH, Hsieh YS, Lin WL and Chu CY.(2002) Inhibitory effect of berberine on tert-butyl hydroperoxide-induced oxidative damage in rat liver. Arch Toxicol. 76(11) : 664-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00204-002-0351-9
- Hui KK, Liu J, Makris N, Gollub RL, Chen AI, Moore Cl, Kennedy DN, Rosen BR and Kwong KK.(2000) Acupuncture modulates the limbic system and subcortical gray structures of the human brain: evidence from fMRI studies in normal subjects. Hum. Brain Mapp. 9(1) : 13-25. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0193(2000)9:1<13::AID-HBM2>3.0.CO;2-F
- Kalivas PW, Sorg BA and Hooks MS.(1993) The pharmacology and neural circuitry of sensitization to psychostimulants. Behav Pharmacol. 4(4) : 315-34.
- Kalivas PWand Stewart J(1991) Dopamine transmission in the initiation and expression of drug- and stressinduced sensitization of motor activity. Brain Res Brain Res Rev. 16(3) : 223-44. review. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-0173(91)90007-U
- Kandel ER, Schwartz JH and Jessel TM.(2000) Principles of neural science. Fourth edition. Mc Graw Hill. New York, USA. pp. 1009-10.
- Kreek MJ. (1996) Opiates, opioids and addiction. Mol Psychiatry. 1(3) : 232-54.
- Kuczenski R, Segal DS and Aizenstein ML.(1991) Amphetamine, cocaine, and fencamfamine : relationship between locomotor and stereotypy response profiles and caudate and accumbens dopamine dynamics. J Neurosci. 11 (9) : 2703-12.
- Li Y, White FJ and Wolf ME.(2000) Pharmacological reversal of behavioral and cellular indices of cocaine sensitization in the rat. Psychopharmacology. 151(2-3) : 175-83. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002130000454
- Lin MT, Wang JJ and Young MS.(2002) The protective effect of dl-tetrahydropalmatine against the development of amygdala kindling seizures in rats. Neurosci Lett. 8 ; 320(3) : 113-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3940(01)02508-3
- Paxinos G and Watson C. (1986) The rat brain in stereotaxic coordinates. Academic Press. New York, USA.
- Pontieri FE, Tanda G and Dichiara G.(1995) Intravenous cocaine, morphin, and amphetamine preferentially increase extracellular dopamine in the "shell" as compared with the "core" of the rat nucleus accumbens. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 92: 12304-8. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.92.26.12304
- Richtand NM, Woods SC, Berger SP and Strakowski SM. (200 1) D3 dopamine receptor, behavioral sensitization, and psychosis. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 25(5) : 427-43. Review. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-7634(01)00023-9
- Robinson TE and Berridge KC.(1993) The neural basis of drug craving: an incentive sensitization theory of addiction. Brain Res Brain Res Rev. 18(3) : 247-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-0173(93)90013-P
- Sally AF, Shawn AR, Mdgorzata K and David JK. (2000) Prenatal exposure of the dopamine agonist SKF-38393 disrupts the timing of the initial response of the suprachiasmatic nucleus to light. Brain Research. 858 : 284-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-8993(99)02392-6
- Steketee JD.(2003) Neurotransmitter systems of the medial prefrontal cortex : potential role in sensitization to psychostimulants. Brain Res Brain Res Rev. 41(2-3) : 203-28. Review. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-0173(02)00233-3
- Stux G and Pomeranz B.(1987) Basics of acupuncture. Springer-Verlag. Berlin. pp. 1-18.
- Tang Wand Eiesenbrand G.(1992) Chinese drugs of plant origin. Springer-Verlag. Berlin. 361-71.
- Ulett GA, Han Sand Han JS.(1998) Electroacupuncture : mechanisms and clinical application. BioI Psychiatry. 15 ; 44(2) : 129-38. review. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3223(97)00394-6
- Yamahara J.(1976) Central depressive action of coptidis rhizoma and its constituents. Nipp Yaku Zas. 899-908. https://doi.org/10.1254/fpj.72.899
- Zahm DS and Brog JS.(1992) On the significance of subterritories in the 'accumbens' part of the rat ventral striatum. Neuroscience. 50(4): 751-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-4522(92)90202-D