- Volume 17 Issue 6
An investigation was carried out to study the effect of two housing systems on feed intake and nutrient utilization of sheep in a semi-arid region of India. Two types of housing managements were adopted. The first was a shed- 20'
Housing System;Sheep;Semi-arid Region;Nutrient Intake;Blood Composition
- Bhatta, R., A. K. Shinde, S. K. Sankhyan and D. L. Verma. 2002a. Nutrition of range goats in a shrubland of western India. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1719-1724.
- McDowell, R. E. 1972. Improvement of Livestock Production in Warm Climate. San Francisco. W.H. Freeman and Co.
- Ramirez, R. G. and D. S. Alonso, G. Hernandez and B. Ramirez. 1995. Nutrient intake of range sheep on a bufflegrass (Cenchrus ciliaris) pasture. Small Rumin. Res. 17:123-128.
- Shinde, A. K., R. Bhatta, S. K. Sankhyan and D. L. Verma. 2002. Effect of season on thermo-regulatory response and energy expenditure of goats on semi-arid ranges of India. Journal of Agricultural Science, Cambridge. 139:87-93.
- Thiagarajan, M. and C. K. Thomas. 1991. Housing effects on crossbred cows in hot-humid climate. Ind. J. Anim. Sci. 61:1222-1225.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fibre, neutral detergent fibre and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597.
- Westra, R. and R. J. Christopherson. 1976. Effect of cold on digestibility, retention time of digesta, reticulum motility and thyroid hormones in sheep. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 56:699-708.
- Yazdani, A. R. and L. R. Gupta. 2000. Effect of housing and feeding system on feed utilization and physiological responses in crossbred calves. Ind. J. Dairy Sci. 53:88-92.
- Bhatta, R., N. Swain., D.L.Verma and N. P. Singh. 2004a. Effect of housing on physiological responses and energy expenditure of sheep in a semi-arid region of India. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. (submitted).
- Bhatta, R., A. K. Shinde., D. L. Verma, S. K. Sankhyan and S. Vaithiyanathan. 2004. Effect of supplementation containing polyethylene glycol (PEG) -6,000 on intake, rumen fermentation and growth in kids fed foliage of Prosopis cineraria. Small Rumin. Res. 52:45-52.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC). 1995. Animal Feeds. In: Official Methods of Analysis. 16th ed. Virginia, USA, pp. 1-18.
- Thomas, C. K. 1969. Studies on the adaptability of Sahiwal X Brwon Swiss crossbred cattle to tropical conditions. Ph. D. Thesis, Punjab University, Chandigarh.
- Young, B. A. 1975. Temperature induced changes in metabolism and body weight of cattle (Bos Taurus). Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. p. 53.
- Shinde, A. K., S. A. Karim, S. K. Sankhyan and R. Bhatta. 1998. Seasonal changes in biomass growth and quality and its utilization by sheep on semi-arid cenchrus ciliaris pasture of India. Small Rumin Res. 20:29-35.
- Bhatta, R., A. K. Shinde, S. Vaithiyanathan, S. K. Sankhyan and D. L. Verma. 2002. Effect of polyethylene glycol-6000 on nutrient intake, digestion and growth of kids browsing Prosopis cineraria. Animal Feed Sci. Technol. 101: 45-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(02)00180-3
- Kennedy, P. M., B. A. Young and R. J. Christopherson. 1977. Studies on the relationship between thyroid function, cold acclimation and retention time of digesta in sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 45:1084.
- Wallace, J. D. and G. M. Van dyne. 1970. Precision of indirect method for estimating digestibility of forage consumed by grazing cattle. J. Range. Manage. 23:424-430.
- Boe, K., J. J. Nedkvitne and D. Austbo. 1991. The effect of different housing systems and feeding regimes on the performance and rectal temperature of sheep. Anim. Prod. 53:331-337.
- Graham, N. McC., F. W., Wainman, K. L. Blaxter and D. G. Armstrong. 1959. Environmental temperature, energy metabolism and heat regulation in sheep. I and II. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb.) 52:13.
- Sankhyan, S. K., A. K. Shinde, R. Bhatta and S. A. Karim. 1999. Comparison of diet and faecal methods for assessment of seasonal variation in dry matter intake by sheep maintained on a Cenchrus pasture. Animal Feed Sci. Technol. 82:261-269.
- Young, B. A. and R. J. Christopherson. 1974. Effect of prolonged cold exposure on digestion and metabolism in ruminants. p. 75-80. In Livestock Environment. Proceedings of the International Livestock Environment Symposium. ASAE. St Joseph. MI.
- Harris, L. E. 1967. Nutrient research Technique for Domestic and Wild Animals. Vol. 1. Agricultural Services, Logan, Utah.
- Agricultural Research Council. 1980. The nutrient requirement of ruminant livestock. Suppl. 1. Agricultural Research Council. Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. Farham Royal, UK, pp. 78-80.
- Christopherson, R. J. and P. M. Kennedy. 1983. Effect of the thermal environment on digestion in ruminants. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 63:477-496.
- Hultmann, E. 1959. rapid specific method for determination of aldohexoses (aldosaccharides) in body fluids. Nature, 103:108-109.
- Jung, H. G. and T. Sahlu. 1986. Diet selection response of grazing sheep to changing pasture condition (Abstract). J. Anim. Sci. 63:302-303.
- Chaturvedi, O. H., R. Bhatta, A. Santra, A. S. Mishra and J. S. Mann. 2003. Effect of supplementary feeding of concentrate on nutrient utilization and production performance of ewes grazing on community rangeland during late gestation and early lactation. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:983-987.
- Varley, H., A. N. Gowenlock and M. Bell. 1980. Practical Clinical Biochemistry. Vol. 1. pp. 500. William Heinemann Medical Books Ltd. London.
- Norton, B. W. and O. P. Poppi. 1995. Composition and nutrition attributes of pasture legume. In: tropical legume in Animal Nutrition, CAB International, Farham Royal, UK.
- Kennedy, P. M. and L. P. Milligan. 1978. Effectss of cold exposure on digestion, microbial synthesis and nitrogen transformations in sheep. Br. J. Nutr. 39:105. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19780017