- Volume 17 Issue 11
The nutritive value of lentil straw (Lens culinaris) relative to 4% urea treated wheat straw (w/w) was assessed in adult bucks and milking buffaloes on-station and on-farm, respectively. A digestion-cum-nitrogen balance experiment was conducted with three bucks (24.35 kg) fed ad libitum lentil straw (LS), urea treated wheat straw (UTS) and a 1:1 (w/w DM basis) mixture of LS and UTS (LS:UTS) in a 3
Goats;Lactating Buffaloes;Lentil Straw;Nutritional Evaluation;Urea Treated Wheat Straw;Milk Yield
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis. 16th Ed. pp. 4.1-17. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC.
- Doumas, B. T., W. A. Watso and H. G. Biggs. 1971. Albumin standards and the measurement of serum albumin with bromocresol green. Clin. Chem. Acta. 31:87-96.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage fibre analysis: apparatus, reagents, procedures and some applications. Agricultural handbook no. 379. pp. 1-12. Agricultural Research Service, USDA, Washington, DC.
- Hawk, P. B. 1965. Hawk’s Physiological Chemistry. 14th Ed. pp. 333. McGraw Hill Book Co., London, UK.
- Khandaker, Z. H., H. Steingass and W. Drochner. 1998. Supplementation of wheat straw with sesbania on voluntary intake, digestibility and ruminal fermentation in sheep. Small Rumin. Res. 28:23-29.
- Lamba, J. S., M. Wadhwa and M. P. S. Bakshi. 2002. Effect of feeding naturally fermented urea wheat straw on the productive and reproductive performance of milch buffaloes. Bubalus bubalis 8:72-79.
- Reitman, S. and S. Frankel. 1957. A colorimetric method for the determination of serum glutamate oxaloacetate transaminase and serum glutamate pyruvate transaminase. Am. J. Clin. Path. 28:56-59.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1989. Statistical Methods. 7th Ed. pp. 299-334. The Iowa State University, Iowa, USA.
- Haddad, S. G. and M. Q. Husein. 2001. Nutritive value of lentil and vetch straws as compared with alfalfa hay and wheat straw for replacement ewe lambs. Small Rumi. Res. 40:255-260.
- Hultmann, E. 1959. Rapid specific method for determination of aldohexoses (aldosaccharides) in body fluids. Nature.103:108-109.
- Goodchild, D. A. V. and N. P. McMeniman. 1994. Intake and digestibility of low quality roughages when supplemented with leguminous browse. J. Agric. Sci. Camb. 122:151-160.
- Burroughs, W., H. G. Headley, R. M. Bethke and P. Gerlaugh. 1950. Cellulose digestion in good and poor quality roughage using an artificial rumen. J. Anim. Sci. 9:513-522.
- Benjamin, M. M. 1985. Outline of Veterinary Clinical Pathology 3rd Ed. pp. 233-254. Kalyani Publishers, New Delhi.
- Dolberg, F. 1992. Progress in the utilization of urea-ammonia treated crop residues: biological and socio-economic aspects of animal production and application of the technology on small farms. Live. Res. Rural Dev. 4:20-31.
- NRC. 1981. Nutrient requirements of goats. pp. 10-12. National Academy of Science, Washington, DC.
- Narayan Dutta, K. Sharma and Q. Z. Hasan. 1999. Effect of supplementation of rice straw with Leucaena leucocephala and Prosopis cineraria leaves on nutrient utilization. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12:742-746.
- Sharma, K., Narayan Dutta, Q. Z. Hasan and B. Biswal. 1998. Effect of supplementing rice straw leftover with Leucaena leucocephala hay or concentrate on intake and nutrient utilization in goats. Indian J. Anim. Nutr. 15:222-224.
- Hunt, C. H., G. Bentley, T. V. Hershburger and J. H. Cline. 1954. The effect of carbohydrate and sulfur on B-vitamin synthesis, cellulose digestion and urea utilization by rumen microbes in vitro. J. Anim. Sci. 13:570-580.
- Mertens, D. R. 1994. Regulation of feed intake. In: Proceeding of the Forage Quality, Evaluation. (Ed. G. C. Fahey Jr.). pp. 450-493. Lincoln, Nebraska,
- Chriyaa, A., K. J. Moore and S. S. Waller. 1997. Intake, digestion and nitrogen balance of sheep fed shrub foliage and medic pods as a supplement to wheat straw. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 65:183-196.
- Rahamatullah, M. and T. R. C. Boyde. 1980. An improvement in determination of urea using diactylmonoxime method with and without deproteinization. Clin. Chem. Acta. 107:3-9.
- Rastogi, A., Narayan Dutta and K. Sharma. 2003. Effect of strategic feed supplementation during gestation on intake, blood-biochemical profile and reproductive performance of goats. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1725-1731.
- Wotton, I. D. P. 1964. Microanalysis in Medical Biochemistry. 4th Ed. pp. 138 140. J & A Churchill Ltd., London, W.I.
- Kaneko, J. J., J. W. Harvey and M. L. Bruss. 1997. Clinical biochemistry of domestic animals. 5th Ed. pp. 890-899. Academic Press. San Diego, California, USA.
- Singh, M., M. N. Amrith Kumar, S. N. Rai and P. K. Pradhan. 1993. Urea-ammonia treatment of straw under village conditions reasons for success and failure. In: Feeding of Ruminants on Fibrous Crop Residues Systems (Ed. Kiran Singh and J. B. Schiere). pp. 289-305. Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi, India,
- ILRI. 1995. Global agenda for livestock research. In: Proceedings of a Consultation. (Ed. P. R. Gardiner and C. Devendra). pp. 275. International Livestock Research Institute, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Naik, P. K. 2002. Impact of feeding ammoniated wheat straw treated with hydrochloric acid on clinico-nutritional aspects and buffen production. Ph.D. Thesis, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar, India.
- Hadjipanayiotou, M. 1997. The role of crop residues and agroindustrial by-products in filling the deficit of animal feedstuffs in the Middle East. In: Proceeding of the improvement of crop-Livestock Integration in the Dry Areas of West Asia and North Africa. (Ed. N. Haddad, R. Tutwiler and E. Thomson). pp. 372-385. Amman, Jordan.
- Erskine, W., S. Rihawi and B. S. Capper. 1990. Variation in lentil straw quality. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 28:61-69.
- Birthal, P. and P. Parthasarthu Rao. 2002. Technology options for sustainable livestock production in India. Proceedings of the workshop on Documentation, Adoption and Impact of Livestock Technologies in India, 18-19 Jan 2001, pp. 132-146. ICRISAT-Patancheru, India.
- Anbarasu, C., Narayan Dutta, K. Sharma and U. Naulia. 2002. Blood-biochemical profile and rumen fermentation pattern of goats fed leaf meal mixture or conventional cakes as dietary protein supplements. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:665-670.
- Kearl, L. C. 1982. Nutrient Requirements of Ruminants in Developing Countries. Utah Agricultural Experimental Station, Utah State University, pp. 59-69. International Foodstuffs Institute, Logan, USA.
Supported by : Indian Council of Agricultural Research