- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Stocking Density and Transportation Time of Market Pigs on Their Behaviour, Plasma Concentrations of Glucose and Stress-associated Enzymes and Carcass Quality
Kim, D.H.;Woo, J.H.;Lee, C.Y.
- 투고 : 2003.06.20
- 심사 : 2003.10.23
- 발행 : 2004.01.01
It is known that the transportation stress of market pigs can affect their carcass quality and that blood concentrations of glucose, creatine kinase (CK) and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) are indicators of the transportation stress. Fifty-seven gilts and 57 barrows weighing approximately 110 kg were randomly assigned into six groups in a 3 [high (0.31
- Becker, B. A., H. F. Mayes, G. L. Hahn, J. A. Nienaber, G. W. Jesse, M. E. Anderson, H. Heymann and H. B. Hedrick. 1989. Effect of fasting and transportation on various physiological parameters and meat quality of slaughter hogs. J. Anim. Sci.67:334-341.
- Bradshaw, R. H., S. J. G. Hall and D. M. Broom. 1996. Behavioural and cortisol response of pigs and sheep during transport. Vet. Rec. 138:233-234.
- Gispert, M., L. Faucitano, M. A. Oliver, M. D. Guardia, C. Coll, K. Siggens and A. Diester. 2000. A survey of preslaughter conditions, halothane gene frequency, and carcass and meat quality in five spanish pig commercial abattoirs. Meat Sci. 55:97-106.
- Guise, H. J., E. J. Hunter, P. J. Baynes, P. J. Wigglesworth, H. L. Riches and R. H. C. Penny. 1996. The behaviour of slaughterweight pig s during transport. The Pig Journal 38:19-29.
- Hunter, E. J., C. M. Weeding, H. J. Guise, T. A. Abbott and R. H. C. Penny. 1994. The effect of season and stocking density on pigs welfare during transport. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 41:274.
- Lambooij, E., G. J. Garssen, P. Walstra, G. Mateman and G. S. M. Merkus. 1985. Transport by car for two days: some aspects of watering and loading density. Livest. Prod. Sci. 13:289-299.
- Lee, Y. B. and Y. I. Choi. 1999. PSE (pale, soft, exudative) pork: The causes and solutions. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12:244-252.
- Payne, J. M. and S. Payne. 1987. The metabolic profile test. UK: Oxford Science Publications.
- Warner, R. D., R. G. Kauffman and M. L. Greaser. 1997. Muscle protein changes post mortem in relation to pork quality traits. Meat Sci. 45:339-352.
- Warriss, P. D., S. N. Brown, T. G. Knowles, J. E. Edwards, P. J. Kettlewell and H. J. Guise. 1998a. The effect of stocking density in transit on the carcass quality and welfare of slaughter pigs; 2. results from the analysis of blood and meat samples. Meat Sci. 48:447-456.
- Barton-Gade, P. A. and L. Christensen. 1998. Effect of different stocking densities during transport on welfare and meat quality in danish slaughter pigs. Meat Sci. 48:237-247.
- Warriss, P. D., S. N. Brown, J. E. Edwards and T. G. Knowles. 1998b. Effect of lairage time on levels of stress and meat quality in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 66:255-261.
- Martoccia, L., G. Brambilla, A. Macri, G. Moccia and E. Cosentino. 1995. The effect of transport on some metabolic parameters and meat quality in pigs. Meat Sci. 40:271-275.
- Perez, M. P., J. Palacio, M. P. Santolaria, M. C. Acena, G. Chacon, M. Gascon, J. H. Calvo, P. Zaragoza, J. A. Beltran and S. Garcia-Belenguer. 2002. Effect of transport time on welfare and meat quality in pigs. Meat Sci. 61:425-433.
- CIE. 1978. Recommendations on uniform color spaces-color difference equations, psychometric color terms. Supplement no. 2 to CIE Publication No. 15 (E-1.3.1) 1971/(TC-1-3). Commission Internationale de l’Eclairage, Paris.
- SAS. 1998. User's Guide: Statistics. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, NC,USA.
- Lee, J. R., D. H. Kim, T. Y. Hur, S. T. Joo and G. B. Park. 2001. The effect of mixed-gender transportation of barrows and gilts. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 43:747-754.
- Knowles, T. G. and P. D. Warriss. 2000. Stress physiology of animals during transport. In: Livestock Handling and Transport (Ed. T. Grandin). CABI Publishing, New York. pp. 385-407.
- Warries, P. D., S. N. Brown, G. R. Nute, T. G. Knowles, J. E. Edwards, A. M. Perry and S. P. Johnson. 1995. Potential interactions between the effect of preslaughter stress and postmortem electrical stimulation of the carcass on meat quality in pigs. Meat Sci. 41:55-68.
- Collins, J. R. 1993. Welfare in transit. Pig Vet. J. 30:23-29.
- Lee, C. Y., H. P. Lee, J. H. Jeong, K. H. Baik, S. K. Jin, J. H. Lee and S. H. Sohn. 2002. Effects of restricted feeding, low-energy diet, and implantation of trenbolone acetate plus estradiol on growth, carcass traits and circulating concentrations of insulinlike growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-binding protein-3 in finishing barrows. J. Anim. Sci. 80:84-93.
- NLRI. 2002. New Technology for Pork Production. National Livestock Research Institute, Suwon, Korea.
- ) vol.64, pp.2, 2007, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.116
- Effects of Transport at Weaning on the Behavior, Physiology and Performance of Pigs vol.4, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.116
- Safety Evaluation of a Standardized <i>Macleaya cordata</i> Extract in a Ninety Day Feeding Study in Weaned Piglets vol.07, pp.02, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.116