- Volume 17 Issue 7
This experiment was conducted to investigate the effect of cadmium levels on weight gain, nutrient digestibility and the retention of iron, copper and zinc in tissues of growing pigs. A total of one hundred and ninety-two crossbred pigs (barrows, Duroc
Growing Pigs;Cadmium;Growth Performance;Nutrient Digestibility;Iron;Copper;Zinc
- Anke, M., T. Masaoka, B. Groppel, G. Zervas and W. Arnhold. 1989. The influence off sulpher, molybdenum and cadmium exposure on the growth of goat, cattle and pig. Archiv. Fur. Tierernahrung 39:221-228.
- Brzoska, M. M. and J. Moniuszko-Jakoniuk. 2001. Interactions between cadmium and zinc in the organs. Food. Chem. Toxicol. 39:967-980.
- Brzoska, M. M., J. Moniuszko-Jakoniuk, M. Jurczuk, M. Galazyn-Sidorczuk and J. Rogalska. 2000. Effect of short-term ethanol administration on cadmium retention and bioelement metabolism in rats continuously exposed to cadmium. Alcohol and Alcoholism. 5:439-445.
- Elinder, C. G., M. Nordberg, B. Palm, L. Bjork and L. Jonsson. 1987. Cadmium, zinc, and copper in rabbit kidney metallothionein-relation to kidney toxicity. Environ. Res. 42:553-562.
- Elsenhans, B., K. Kolb, K. Schumann and W. Forth. 1994. The longitudinal distribution of cadmium, zinc, copper, iron and metallothionein in the small intestinal mucosa of rats after administration of cadmium chloride. Biol. Trace Elem. Res.41:31-46.
- Eybl, V., D. Kotyzova, J. Koutensky, V. Mickova, M. M. Jones and P. K. Singh. 1998. Effect of cadmium chelating agents on organ cadmium and trace element levels in mice. Analyst. 123:25-26.
- Fox, M. R. S., R. M. Jacob, A. O. L. Jones, B. E. Fry and C. L. Stone. 1980. Effects of vitamin C and iron on cadmium metabolism. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 355:249-261.
- Koizumi, T., T. Yokota and K. Suzuki. 1994. Mechanism of cadmium-induced cytotoxicity in rat hepatocytes. Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 42:31-41.
- Mohan, J., R. P. Moudgal and J. N. Panda. 1992. Effects of cadmium salt on phosphomonoesterases activity and fertilizing ability of fowl spermatozoa. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 30:241-243.
- Webster, W. S. 1979. Iron deficiency and its role in cadmiuminduced fetal growth retardation. J. Nutr. 109:1640-1645.
- Miccadei, S. and A. Floridi. 1993. Sites of inhibition of mitochondrial electron transport by cadmium. Chem. Biol. Interact. 89:159-167.
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine (10th Ed.) National Academy Press. Washington, DC.
- Banis, R. J., W. G. Pond, E. F. Walker and J. R. O’Connor. 1969. Dietary cadmium, iron, and zinc interactions in the growing rat, Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 130:802-806.
- Crowe, A. and E. H. Morgan. 1997. Effect of dietary cadmium on iron metabolism in growing rats. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 145:136-146.
- Kanwar, K. C., S. C. Kaushal and R. V. Mehra. 1980. Clearance of orally administered 115mCd from rat tissues. Experientia. 15:1004-1005.
- Pond, W. G. and E. F. Walker.. 1973. Cadmium-induced anemia in growing pigs: protective effect of oral and parenteral iron. J. Anim. Sci. 6:1122-1128.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis (15th Ed.). Assocition f Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC.
- Cotzias, G. C., D. C. Borg and B. Selleck. 1961. Virtual absence of turnover in cadmium metabolism: Cd109 studies in the mouse. Am. J. Physiol.. 201:927–930.
- Hamilton, D. and L. Valberg. 1974. Relationship between cadmium and iron absorption. Am. J. Physiol. 227:1033-1037.
- Schafer, S. G. and W. Forth. 1984. Effect of acute and subchronic exposure to cadmium on the retention of iron in rats. J. Nutr. 114:1989-1996.
- Oishi, S., J.-I. Nakagawa and M. Ando. 2000. Effects of cadmium administration on the endogenous metal balance in rats. Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 76:257-278.
- Sowa, B. and E. Steibert. 1985. Effect of oral cadmium administration to female rats during pregnancy on zinc, copper and iron content in placenta, foetal liver, kidney, intestine and brain. Arch. Toxicol. 56:256-263.
- Rothe, S., J. Gropp, H. Weiser and W. A. Rambeck. 1994. The effect of vitamin C and zinc on the copper-induced increased of cadmium residues in swine. Zeitschrift fur Ernahrungswissenschaft. 33:61-67.
- Steibert, E., B. Krol, K. Gralewska, M. Kaminki, O. Kaminska and E. Kusz. 1984. Cadmium-induced changes in the histoenzymatic activity in liver, kidney and duodenum of pregnant rats. Toxicol. Lett. 20:127-132.
- Cousins, R. J., A. K. Baber and J. R. Trout. 1973. Cadmium toxicity in growing swine. J. Nutr. 103:964-972.
- Jones, M. M. and M. G. Cherian. 1990. The search for chelate antagonists for chtonic cadmium intoxication. Toxicol. 62:1-25.
- Coppen-Jaeger, D. E. and M. Wilhelm. 1989. The effects of cadmium on zinc absorption in isolated rat intestinal preparations. Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 21:207-212.
- Miller, W. J. 1971. Cadmium nutrition and metabolism in ruminants: Relationship to concentrations in tissues and products. Feedstuffs. July 17:24.
- Raszy, J., H. Docekalova, J. Rubes, V. Gajduskova, J. Masek, L. Rodak and J. Bartos. 1992. Ecotoxicologic relations on a large pig-fattening farm located in a lignite mining area and near and solid-fuel electrical power plant. Vet. Med. 37:435-448.
- Bafundo, K. W., D. H. Baker and P. R. Fitzgerald. 1984. Eimeria acervulina infection and the zinc-cadmium interrelationship in the chick. Poult. Sci. 63:1828-1832.
- Nasreddin, L. and D. Parent-Massin. 2002. Food contamination by metals and pesticides in the European Union. Should we worry? Toxicol. Lett. 127:29-41.
- Pond, W. G., P. Chapman and E. Jr. Walker. 1966. Influence of dietary zinc, corn oil and cadmium on certain blood components, weight gain and parakeratosis in young pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 25:122-127.
- Joshi, J. G. and A. Zimmerman. 1988. Ferritin: an expanded role in metabolic regulation. Toxicol. 48:21-29.
- Davies, N. and J. Campbell. 1977. The effect of cadmium on intestinal copper absorption and binding in the rat. Life Sci. 20:955-960.
- Hansen, L. G. and T. D. Hinesly. 1979. Cadmium from soil amended with sewage sludge: effects and residues in swine. Environ. Health. Persp. 28:51-57.
- Kozlowska, K., A. Brzozowska, J. Sulkoeska and W. Roszkowski. 1993. The effect of cadmium on iron metabolism in rats. Nutr. Res. 13:1163-1172.
- Lisk, D. J., R. D. Boyd, J. N. Telford, J. G. Babish, G. S. Stoesand, C. A. Bache and W. H. Gutenmann. 1982. Toxicologic studies with swine fed corn grown on municipal sewage sludgeamended soil. J. Anim. Sci. 55:613-619.
- Jacobson, K. B. and J. E. Turner. 1980. The interaction of cadmium and certain other metal ions with proteins and nucleic acids. Toxicol. 16:1-37.
- Czarnecki, G. L. and D. H. Baker. 1982. Tolerance of the chick to excess dietary cadmium as influenced by dietary cysteine and by experimental infection with Eimeria acervulina. J. Anim. Sci. 54:983-988.
- Rambeck, W. A., H. W. Brehm and W. E. Kollmer. 1991. The effect of increased copper supplements in feed on the development of cadmium residues in swine. Zeitschrift fur Ernahrungswissenschaft. 30:298-306.
- Ammerman, C. B., S. M. Miller, K. R. Fick and S. L. Hansard II. 1977. Contaminating elements in mineral supplements and 1977their potential toxicity: A review. J. Anim. Sci. 44:485-508.
- Foulkes, E. C. 1985. Interactions between metals in rat jejunum:implications on the nature of cadmium uptake. Toxicol. 37:117-125.
- Fox, M. R. S. 1987. Assessment of cadmium, lead and vanadium status of large animals as related to the human food chain. J. Anim. Sci. 65:1744-1752.
- Matsubara-Khan, J. and K. Machida. 1975. Cadmium accumulation in the mouse organs during sequential injections of cadmium109. Environ. Res. 10:29-38.
- Wang, S. C. 1994. Food Hygiene Testing and Technology Handbook. Chemical Industry Press, Beijin, China, pp. 185-189.
- Chmielnicka, J. and B. Sowa. 1996. Cadmium interaction with essential metals (Zn, Cu, Fe), metabolism, metallothionein, and ceruloplasmin in pregnant rats and fetuses. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Safety 35:277-281.
- Sharma, G., R. Sandhir, R. Nath and K. Gill. 1991. Effect of ethanol on cadmium uptake and metabolism of zinc and copper in rats exposed to cadmium. J. Nutr. 121:87-91. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/121.1.87
- 1. Effect of Cadmium in Feed on Organs and Meat Colour of Growing Pigs vol.31, pp.5, 2007, doi:10.5713/ajas.2004.1007