- Volume 17 Issue 7
Relationships between muscle
- Bennink, M. R. and K. Ono. 1982. Vitamin B12, E & D content of raw and cooked beef. J. Food Sci. 47:1786-1792.
- Liu, Q., K. K. Scheller, S. C. Arp, D. M. Schaefer and S. N. Williams. 1996. Titration of fresh meat color stability and malondialdehyde development with Holstein steers fed vitamin E-supplemented diets. J. Anim. Sci. 74:117-126.
Lynch, A., J. P. Kerry, M. G. O'Sullivan, J. B. P. Lawlor, D. J. Buckley and P. A. Morrissey. 2000. Distribution of
$\alpha$-tocopherol in beef muscles following dietary $\alpha$-tocopheryl acetate supplementation. Meat Sci. 56:211-214.
- Stewart, M. R., M. W. Zipser and B. W. Watts. 1965. The use of reflectance spectrophotometry for the assay of raw meat pigments. J. Food Sci. 30:464-469.
- Arnold, R. N., S. C. Arp, K. K. Scheller, S. N. Williams and D. M. Schaefer. 1993a. Tissue equilibration and subcellular distribution of vitamin E relative to myoglobin and lipid oxidation in displayed beef. J. Anim. Sci. 71:105-118.
- Faustman, C., R. G. Cassens, D. M. Schaefer, D. R. Buege, S. N. Williams and K. K. Scheller. 1989. Improvement of pigment and lipid stability in holstein steer beef by dietary supplementation with vitamin E. J. Food Sci. 54:858-862.
- Mitsumoto, M., R. G. Cassens, D. M. Schaefer, R. N. Arnold and K. K. Scheller. 1991. Improvement of color and lipid stability in beef longissimus with dietary vitamin E and vitamin C dip treatment. J. Food Sci. 56:1489-1492.
- AOAC. 1984. Official Methods of Analysis. 14th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia.
Arnold, R. N., K. K. Scheller, S. C. Arp, S. N. Williams and D. M. Schaefer. 1993b. Dietary
$\alpha$-tocopheryl acetate enhances beef quality in holstein and beef breed steers. J. Food Sci. 58:28-33.
- Chan, W. K. M., K. Hakkarainen, C. Faustman, D. M. Schaefer, K. K. Scheller and Q. Liu. 1996. Dietary vitamin E effect on colour stability and sensory assessment of spoilage in three beef muscles. Meat Sci. 42:387-399.
- Faustman, C. and R. G. Cassens. 1990. The biochemical basis for discoloration in fresh meat: a review. J. Muscle Foods. 1:217-243.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1985. SAS User’s Guide: Statistics. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
Muramoto, T., N. Nakanishi, M. Shibata and K. Aikawa. 2003a. Effect of dietary
$\beta$-carotene supplementation on beef color stability during display of two muscles from Japanese Black steers. Meat Sci. 63:39-42.
- Green, B. E., I. Hsin and M. W. Zipser. 1971. Retardation of oxidative color changes in raw ground beef. J. Food Sci. 36:940-942.
- Kanner, J. and S. Harel. 1985. Initiation of membranal lipid peroxidation by activated metmyoglobin and methemoglobin. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 237:314-321.
Irie, M., K. Fujita and K. Sudou. 1999. Changes in meat color and
$\alpha$-tocopherol concentrations in plasma and tissues from Japanese beef cattle fed by two methods of vitamin E supplementation. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12:810-814.
- Muramoto, T., M. Shibata and N. Nakanishi. 2003b. Effect of slaughter age on beef color stability during display of four muscles from Japanese Black steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1364-1368.
- Mitsumoto, M., S. Ozawa, T. Mitsuhashi and K. Koide. 1998. Effect of dietary vitamin E supplementation for one week before slaughter on drip, colour and lipid stability during display in Japanese Black steer beef. Meat Sci. 49:165-174.