- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Relationship of Somatic Cell Count, Physical, Chemical and Enzymatic Properties to the Bacterial Standard Plate Count in Different Breeds of Dairy Goats
Ying, Chingwen;Yang, Cheng-Bin;Hsu, Jih-Tay
- 투고 : 2003.08.07
- 심사 : 2003.12.30
- 발행 : 2004.04.01
The objective of the present study was to investigate the accuracy of mastitis diagnostic indicators for different dairy goat breeds. Biweekly milk samples were collected from individual half mammary gland of seven Saanen and seven Alpine dairy goats in the period of 40 to 120 days in milk. With threshold value set at 2.8 and 3.1 for Alpine and Saanen dairy goats, respectively, log (SPC) offered good sensitivity (0.89, 0.93), specificity (0.88, 0.95), positive predictive value (0.75, 0.85) and negative predictive value (0.95, 0.98) as a mastitis diagnostic tool. The correlations of log (SPC) with milk yield, log (SCC), ALP, LDH,
Goat Milk;Standard Plate Count;Somatic Cell Count;Lactate Dehydrogenase;Alkaline Phosphatase;Sodium;Potassiu;Electrical Conductivity
- Droke, E. A., M. J. Paape and L. Di Carlo. 1993. Prevalence of high somatic cell counts in bulk tank goat milk. J. Dairy Sci. 76:1035-1039.
- Egwu, G. O., L. T. Zaria, P. A. Onyeyili, A. G. Ambali, S. S. Adamu and M. Birdling. 1994. Studies on the microbiological flora of caprine mastitis and antibiotic inhibitory concentrations in Nigeria. Small Ruminant Res. 14:233-239.
- Harmon, R. J. 1994. Physiology of mastitis and factors affecting somatic cell counts. J. Dairy Sci. 77:2103-2112. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(94)77153-8
- MacFaddin, J. F. 1985. Media for Isolation-Cultivation- Identification-Maintenance of Medical Bacteria. Vol. 1. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, MD.
- Martin, S. W., A. H. Meek and P. Willeberg. 1987. Veterinary Epidemiology: Principles and Methods. Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa, USA.
- Hortet, P. and H. Seegers. 1998. Loss in milk yield and related composition changes resulting from clinical mastitis in dairy cows. Preventive Vet. Med. 37:1-20.
- Woolford, M. W., J. H. Williamson and H. V. Henderson. 1998. Changes in electrical conductivity and somatic cell count between milk fractions from quarters subclinically infected with particular mastitis pathogens. J. Dairy Res. 65:187-198.
- Contreras, A., D. Sierra, J. C. Corrales, A. Sanchez and J. Marco. 1996. Physiological threshold of somatic count and California Mastitis Test for diagnosis of caprine subclinical mastitis. Small Ruminant Res. 21:259-264.
- Sung, Y. Y., T. I. Wu, and P. H. Wang. 1999. Evaluation of milk quality of Alpine, Nubian, Saanen and Toggenburg breeds in Taiwan. Small Ruminant Res. 33:17-23.
- Kalogridou-Vassiliadou, D. 1991. Mastitis-related pathogens in goat milk. Small Ruminant Res. 4:203-212.
- Smith, M. C. and D. M. Sherman. 1994. Goat Medicine. Lea & Febiger, Malvern, Pennsylvania.
- NRC. 1981. Nutrient Requirements of Goats: Angora, Dairy, and Meat Goats in Temperate and Tropical Countries. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Bogin,E., G. Ziv, J. Avidar, B. Rivetz, S. Gordin and A. Saran. 1977. Distribution of lactate dehydrogenase in normal and inflamed bovine udders and milk. Res. Vet. Sci. 22:198-220.
- Ndegwa, E. N., C. M. Mulei and S. J. M. Munyua. 2001. Risk factors associated with subcliunical subacute mastitis in Kenyan daiory goats. Israel J. Vet. Med. 56:4-8.
- FDA. 1984. Bacteriological Analytical Manual. 6th Ed. Division of Microbiology, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Arlington, VA.
- Stehling, R. N., O. L. Vargas, E. C. D. Santos and R. M. Duarte. 1986. Study on goat mastitis evolution induced by Staphylococcal and Streptococcal enterotxins. Arquivo Brasileiro de MedicinaVeterinariae Zootecnia 38:701-718.
- Jenness, R. 1980. Composition and characteristics of goat milk: review 1968-1979. J. Dairy Sci. 63:1605-1630.
- Kitchen, B. J. 1981. Review of the progress of dairy science: Bovine mastitis: milk compositional changes and related diagnostic tests. J. Dairy Res. 48:167-188.
- Baudry, C., R. De-Cremoux, C. Chartier and G. Perrin. 1997. Impact of mammary gland inflammation on milk yield and composition in goats. Vet. Res. Paris 28:277-286.
- Boscos, C., A. Stefanakis, C. Alexopoulos and F. Samartzi. 1996. Prevelence of subclinical mastitis and influence of breed, parity, stage of lactation and mammary bacteriological status on Coulter Counter Counts and California Mastitis Test in the milk of Saanen and autochthonous Greek goats. Small Ruminant Res. 21:139-147.
- McDougall, S., J. W. Pankey, C. Delaney, J. Barlow, P. A. Murdough, J. L. Watts and D. Scruton. 2000. Prevelance and incidence of subclinical mastitis in dairy ewes and goats. Proc. of New Zealand Soc. Anim. Prod. 60:287-290.
- Park, Y. W. and R. D. Humphery. 1986. Bacterial cell counts in goat milk and their correlations with somatic cell counts, percent fat, and protein. J. Dairy Sci. 69:32-37.
- Ying, C., H.-T. Wang and J.-T. Hsu. 2002. Relationship of somatic cell count, physical, chemical and enzymatic properties to the bacterial standard count in dairy goat milk. Livestock Prod. Sci. 74:63-77.
- Zeng, S. S., E. N. Escobar and T. Popham. 1997. Daily variations in somatic cell count, composition and production of Alpine goat milk. Small Ruminant Res. 26:253-260.
- Zeng, S. S. and E. N. Escobar. 1995. Effect of parity and milk production on somatic cell count, standard plate count and composition of goat milk. Small Rumin. Res. 17:269-274.
- Maisi, P. 1990. Milk NAGase, CMT and antitrypsin as indicators of caprine suclinical mastitis infections. Small Ruminant Res. 83:493-501.
- Wierschem, J. 1993. Butterfat, protein and milk production of five breeds. Dairy Goat J. Nov. p. 406.
- Wilson, D. J., K. N. Stewart and P. M. Sears. 1995. Effects of stage of lactation, production, parity and season on somatic cell counts in infected and uninfected dairy goats. Small Ruminant Res. 16:165-169.
- Jandal, J. M. 1996. Comparative aspects of goat and sheep milk. Small Ruminant Res. 22:177-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(96)00880-2
- McDougall, S., P. Murdough, W. Pankey, C. Delaney, J. Barlow and D. Scruton. 2001. Relationships among somatic cell count, California mastitis test, inpedance and bacteriological status of milk in goats and sheep in early lactation. Small Ruminant Res. 40:245-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(01)00185-7
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th. Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Arlington, VA.
- Turnbull, P. C. B. and J. M. Kramer. 1991. Bacillus. In: (Ed. W. Hausler, Jr., K. L. Herrmann, H. D. Isenberg, H. J. Shadomy) Manual of Clinical Microbiology. 5th. Ed. American Soc. For Microbiology, Washington, DC., pp.296-303.
- Shailja and M. Singh. 2002. Post milking teat dip effect on somatic cell count, milk production and composition in cows and buffaloes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1517-1522.
- Upadhyaya, T. N. and A. T. Rao. 1993. Diagnosis and threshold values of subclinical mastitis in goats. Small Ruminant Res. 12:201-210.
- Dulin, A. M., M. J. Poape, W. D. Schultze and B. T. Weinland. 1983. Effect of parity, stage of lactation, and intermammary infection concentration of somatic cell and cytoplasmic particles in goat milk. J. Dairy Sci. 66:2426-2433.
- Bogin, E. and G. Ziv. 1973. Enzymes and minerals in normal and mastitic milk. Cornell Vet. 63:666-676.
- Galina, M. A., R. Morales, B. Lopez and M. A. Carmona. 1996. Effect of somatic cell count on lactation and soft cheese yield by dairy goats. Small Ruminant Res. 21:251-257.
- Park, Y. W. 1991. Interrelationships between somatic cell counts, electrical conductivity, bacteria counts, percent fat and protein in goat milk. Small Ruminant Res. 5:367-375. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-4488(91)90074-Z
- Signal Spectral Analysis to Characterize Gland Milk Electrical Conductivity in Dairy Goats vol.14, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.554
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Science Council