- Volume 17 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Hypocholesterolemic Effect of Indigenous Dadih Lactic Acid Bacteria by Deconjugation of Bile Salts
Pato, Usman;Surono, Ingrid S.;Koesnandar, Koesnandar;Hosono, Akiyoshi
- Received : 2004.02.13
- Accepted : 2004.07.02
- Published : 2004.12.01
Administration of milk and fermented milks produced from indigenous dadih lactic acid bacteria on serum lipids and bile acids, fecal bile acids and microflora was estimated in hypercholesterolemic rats. Anaerobic lactic acid bacteria decreased and coliforms increased in the feces of the control group; however, the number of fecal lactic acid bacteria remained unchanged when rats were administered milk and fermented milks. Only fermented milk made from Lc. lactis subsp. lactis IS-10285 significantly reduced serum total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and total bile acids. Milk and fermented milks did not influence the HDL cholesterol. Triglyceride and phospholipid levels were significantly lower in the rats fed fermented milk of Lc. lactis subsp. lactis IS-10285 than rats fed milk and fermented milk of Lc. lactis subsp. lactis IS-29862, but not significantly different from the control group. Hypocholesterolemic effect of Lc. lactis subsp. lactis IS-10285 was attributed to its ability to suppress the reabsorption of bile acids into the enterohepatic circulation and to enhance the excretion of bile acids in feces of hypercholesterolemic rats.
Hypocholesterolemic Effect Dadih;Lactococcus lactis;Coronary Heart Disease
- Grunewald, K. K. 1982. Serum cholesterol in rats fed skim milk fermented by Lactobacillus acidophilus. J. Food Sci. 47:2078-2079. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1982.tb12955.x
- Grunewald, K. K. and K. Mitchell. 1983. Serum cholesterol levels in mice fed fermented and unfermented acidophilus milk. J. Food Prot. 46:315-318.
- Hosono, A. and T. Tono-oka. 1995. Binding of cholesterol with lactic acid bacteria cells. Milchwissenschaft 50:556-560.
- Kawase, M., H. Hashimoto, M. Hosoda, H. Morita and A. Hosono. 2000. Effect of administration of fermented milk containing whey protein concentrate to rats and healthy men on serum lipids and blood pressure. J. Dairy Sci. 83:255-263.
- Mann, G. V. 1977. A factor in yogurt which lower cholesterol in man. Atherosclerosis 26:335-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9150(77)90086-7
- Sreekumar, O. and A. Hosono. 2000. Immediate effect of Lactobacillus acidophilus on the intestinal flora and fecal enzymes of rats and the in vitro inhibition of Escherichia coli in coculture. L. Dairy Sci. 83:931-939. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(00)74956-3
- Surono, I. S. and A. Hosono. 1996. Antimutagenicity of milk cultured with lactic acid bacteria from Dadih against mutagenic Terasi. Milchwissenschaft 51:493-497.
- Thompson, L. U., D. J. A. Jenkins, M. A. Amer, R. Reichert, A. Jenkins and J. Kamulsky. 1982. Effect of fermented and unfermented milks on serum cholesterol. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 36:1106-1111.
- Lipid Research Clinics Program. 1984. The lipid research clinics coronary prevention trial results. 1. Reduction in incidence of coronary heart disease. JAMA 251:351-363.
- Usman and A. Hosono. 2000. Effect of administration of Lactobacillus gasseri on serum lipids and fecal steroids in hypercholesterolemic rats. J. Dairy Sci. 83:1705-1711.
- Schiff, E. R., N. C. Small and J. M. Dietschy. 1972. Characterization of the kinetics of passive and active transport mechanisms for bile absorption in the small intestine and colon of the rat. J. Clin. Invest. 51:1351-1362.
- Agarbæk, M., L. U. Gerdes and B. Richelsen. 1995. Hypocholesterolaemic effect of a new fermented milk product in healthy middle-aged men. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 49:346-352.
- Surono, I. S. 2003. Probiotic properties of indigenous dadih lactic acid bacteria. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:726-731. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.726
- Chikai, T., H. Nakao and K. Uchida. 1987. Deconjugation of bile acids by human intestinal bacteria implanted in germ free rats. Lipids 22:669-671.
- Usman and A. Hosono. 2001. Hypocholesterolemic effect of Lactobacillus gasseri SBT0270 on serum in rats fed a cholesterol-enriched diet. J. Dairy Res. 68:617-624.
- Danielson, A. D., E. R. Peo Jr., K. M. Shahani, A. J. Lewis, P. J. Whalen and M. A. Amer. 1989. Anticholesterolemic property of Lactobacillus acidophilus yoghurt fed to mature boars. J. Anim. Sci. 67:966-974.
- Surono, I. S. and D. Nurani. 2001. Exploration of indigenous dadih lactic bacteria for probiotic and starter cultures. Domestic Research Collaboration Grant-URGE-IBRD World Bank Project 2000-2001. Research Report. January 2001.
- McNamara, D. J., A. E. Lowell and J. E. Sabb. 1989. Effect of yoghurt intake on plasma lipid and lipoprotein levels in normolipidemic males. Atherosclerosis 79:167-171.
- Surono, I. S. 2000. Performance of dadih lactic cultures at low temperature milk application. Proceeding of the ninth Animal Science Congress of AAAP. July 1-5, 2000. University of New South Wales, Sidney-Australia.
- Hashimoto, H., K. Yamazaki, F. He, M. Kawase, M. Hosono and A. Hosono. 1999. Hypocholesterolemic effect of Lactobacillus casei subsp. casei TMC 0409 strain observed in rats fed cholesterol contained diets. Anim. Sci. J. 72:90-97.
- Taranto, M. P., M. Medici, G. Perdigon, A. P. Ruiz Holgado and G. F. Valdez. 1998. Evidence for hypocholesterolemic effect of Lactobacillus reuteri in hypercholesterolemic mice. J. Dairy Sci. 81:2336-2340.
- Haycock, K. A., J. Roth, J. Gagnon, W. F. Finzer and C. Soper. 1992. StatView. The ultimate integrated data anlysis and presentation system. Abacus Concepts, Inc., Berkeley, CA.
- Bazzacre, T. L., S. Liu Wu and J. M. Yuhas. 1983. Total and HDLcholesterol concentration following yogurt and calcium suplementation. Nutr. Rep. Int. 28:1225-1232.
- Hosono, A., R. Wardoyo and H. Otani. 1989. Microbial flora in 'dadih', a traditional fermented milk in Indonesia. Lebensm-Wiss. u-Technol. 22, 20-24.bb by lactic acid bacteria isolated from 'dadih'. Lebensm.-Wiss. u-Technol. 23:149-153.
- Akalin, A. S., S. Gonc and S. Duzel. 1997. Influence of yogurt and acidophilus yogurt on serum cholesterol levels in mice. J. Dairy Sci. 80:2721-2725.
- Lee, Y. K. 2002. Report of the first year results on 'in vivo and clinical studies on probiotic properties of indigenous dadih lactic bacteria for starter cultures'. Indonesian International Joint Research Grant Program. Center for the Assessment of Biotechnology in collaboration with Faculty of Agriculture, Shinshu University, Japan and Faculty of Medicine, National University, Singapore.
- Usman and A. Hosono. 1999. Bile tolerance, taurocholate deconjugation and binding of cholesterol by Lactobacillus gasseri strains. J. Dairy Sci. 82:243-248.
- Fukushima, M. and M. Nakao. 1996. Efeects of a mixture of organisms, Lactobacillus acidophilus or Streptococcus faecalis on cholesterol metabolism. Folia Fharmacol. Jpn. 110, (Suppl. 1) pp. 75-80.
- Usman, P. 2003. Bile and acid tolerance of lactic acid bacteria isolated from dadih and their antimutagenicity against mutagenic heated tauco. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1680-1685.
- Sessions, V. A., J. A. Lovegrove, G. R. J. Taylor, T. S. Dean, C. M. William, T. A. B. Sanders, I. Macdonald and A. Salter. 1997. The effects of a new fermented milk product on total plasma cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and apolipoprotein B concentration in middle aged men and women. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 56:120 A.
- The perspective on cholesterol-lowering mechanisms of probiotics vol.59, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.201400548
- Bacterial bile salt hydrolase: an intestinal microbiome target for enhanced animal health vol.17, pp.02, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1466252316000153
- Alteration of gut microbiota in association with cholesterol gallstone formation in mice vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12876-017-0629-2
- SELEKSI ISOLAT BAKTERI ASAM LAKTAT ASAL TEMPE DAN TAPE SEBAGAI KANDIDAT PROBIOTIK vol.29, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.6066/jtip.2018.29.2.175