- Volume 17 Issue 4
Chick embryos from stage 14 to stage 31 were studied by means of serial section and light microscopy in order to learn the relationship between the settlement sites of the primordial germ cells (PGCs) and the forming genital ridge. The results showed that: when embryo hatched for 53-56 h, the PGCs reached the coelomic epithelial tissue where gonad would be formed, meanwhile the epithelial tissue began thicker before the PGCs reached. Before stage 19, the final region the PGCs arrived was the thickened portion of the coelomic epithelium, the glycogen in the PGCs cytoplasm maintenance remained unchanged. However at the 3.5-5th hatching day, the glycogen in the PGCs cytoplasm reduced gradually. On the 6th hatching day, the gonad of the embryo appeared the feature of ovary, and the glycogen in the PGCs cytoplasm reduced further. On the 7th hatching day, the differentiation of ovary or testis was obvious and the glycogen in the PGCs cytoplasm later disappeared.
- Ando, Y. and T. Fujmoto. 1983. Ultrastructural evidence that chick primordial germ cells leave the blood vascular system prior to migrating to the gonadal anlagn. J. Dev. Growth Differ. 25:345-352.
- Li, B. C., G. H. Chen, J. Qin, K. H. Wang, X. J. Xiao, K. Z. Xie and S. X. Wu. 2003. A Timable of Early Development Stage of Silkies Embryo. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:800-805.
- Rodemer, E. S. and H. Wartenberg. 1986. Gonadal development of the chick embryo following microsurgically caused agenesis of the mesonephros and using interspecific quail-chick chimaeras. J. Embryo Exp. Morph. 98:269-285.
- Ukeshima, A., M. Kudo and Fujimoto. 1987. Relationship between genital ridge formation and settlement site of primordial germ cells in chick embryos. J. Anat. Rec. 219:311-314.
- Meyer, D. B. 1964. The migration of primordial germ cells in the chick embryo. J. Dev. 10:154-190.
- Han, J. Y., R. N. Shoffner and K. S. Guise. 1995. Gene transfer by manupulation of primordial germ cells in the chicken. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 7:427-434.
- Witchi, E. 1948. Migration of the germ cells of human embryos from the yolk sac to the primitive gonadal fold. J. Contrib. Embryol. 32:69-80.
- Hong, Y. H., D. S. Seo, D. K. Jeong, D. K. Choi and J. Y. Han. 1995. Migration of the primordial germ cells and gonad formation in the early chicken embryo. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 8:557-562.
- Nakamura, M., I. Kuwana and Y. Miyayama. 1988. Extragonadal distribution of primordial germ cells in the early chick embryo. J. Anat Rec, 222:90-94.
- Han, J. Y. and R. N. Shoffner. 1994. Primordial germ cells in Eves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 7(4):459-466.
- Urven, L. E., C. A. Erickson and U. K. Abbott. 1988. Analysis of germ line development in the chick using anti-mouse FC cell antibody. J. Development, 130:299-304.