- Volume 17 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effects of Flaxseed Diets on Fattening Response of Hanwoo Cattle : 2. Fatty Acid Composition of Serum and Adipose Tissues
- Kim, C.M. (Animal Resources Research Center, College of Animal Husbandry, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, J.H. (Animal Resources Research Center, College of Animal Husbandry, Konkuk University) ;
- Chung, T.Y. (Animal Resources Research Center, College of Animal Husbandry, Konkuk University) ;
- Park, K.K. (Animal Resources Research Center, College of Animal Husbandry, Konkuk University)
- 투고 : 2004.03.17
- 심사 : 2004.07.07
- 발행 : 2004.09.01
Two separate trials were designed to determine effects of dietary level of whole flaxseed (WFS) on fatty acid composition of serum, and subcutaneous, perirenal, intermuscular, and intramuscular adipose tissues of Korean Hanwoo cattle. Twentyone bulls (trial 1) and 15 cows (trial 2) were assigned to diets containing 0, 10 or 15% WFS. Relative treatment effects were similar between bulls and cows. The proportion of C18:3 in serum and to a lesser extent in adipose tissues were increased by dietary inclusion of WFS, reflecting supplemented lipid composition of WFS that escaped ruminal biohydrogenation. Animals fed WFS had a lower proportion of saturated fatty acids in serum and adipose tissues than animals fed diets without WFS, while the opposite trend was observed in unsaturated fatty acids with little differences between two WFS groups. WFS-fed animals had higher proportions of C18:1, 18:2, 18:3, 20:3, and 22:3 and lower proportions of C12:0, 14:0, 16:0 and 18:0 in intramuscular fat than animals fed diets without WFS. Furthermore, feeding WFS increased proportions of both
Hanwoo Cattle;Flaxseed;Oilseeds;Fatty Acid;Adipose Tissue;Fat Supplementation
- Chang, J. H. P., D. K. Lunt and S. B. Smith. 1992. Fatty acid composition and fatty acid elongase and stearoyl-CoA desaturase activities in tissues of steers fed high oleate sunflower seed. J. Nutr. 122:2074-2080.
- Folch, J., M. Lees and G. H. Sloane Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- Hirano, Y., H. Yokota and K. Kita. 2003. Increase in plasma HDLcholesterol concentration in goats fed sesame meal is related to ether extract fraction included in the meal. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:511-514.
- Nash, D. M., R. M. G. Hamilton and H. W. Hulan. 1995. The effect of dietary herring meal on the omega-3 fatty acid content of plasma and egg yolk lipids of laying hens. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 75:247-253.
- Petit, H. V. 2002. Digestion, milk production, milk composition and blood composition of dairy cows fed whole flaxseed. J. Dairy Sci. 85:1482-1490. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74217-3
- Rule, D. C., M. D. MacNeil and R. E. Short. 1997. Influence of sire growth potential, time on feed and growing-finishing strategy on cholesterol and fatty acids of the ground carcass and longissimus muscle of beef steers. J. Anim. Sci. 75:1525-1533.
- Ward, A. T., K. M. Wittenberg and R. Przybylski. 2002. Bovine milk fatty acid profiles produced by feeding diets containing solin, falx and canola. J. Dairy Sci. 85:1191-1196.
- Chen, K-J., D-F. Jan, P. W-S. Chiou and D-W. Yang. 2002. Effects of dietary heat extruded soybean meal and protected fat supplement on the production, blood and ruminal characteristics of Holstein cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:821-827.
- Oka, A., F. Iwaki, T. Dohgo, S. Ohtagaki, M. Noda, T. Shiozaki, O. Endoh and M. Ozaki. 2002. Genetic effects on fatty acid composition of carcass fat of Japanese Black Wagyu steers. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1005-1011.
- Scheideler, S. E. and G. W. Froning. 1996. The combined influence of dietary flaxseed variety, level form and storage conditions on egg production and composition among vitamin Esupplemented hens. Poult. Sci. 75:1221-1226.
- Christie, W. W. 1981b. The effects of diet and other factors on the composition of ruminant tissues and milk. In: (Ed. W. W. Christie) Lipid Metabolism in Ruminant Animals. pp. 193-226. Pergamon Press, New York.
- Clemens, E., W. Woods and V. Arthaud. 1974. The effect of feeding unsaturated fats as influenced by gelatinized corn and by the presence or absence of rumen protozoa. II. Carcass lipid composition. J. Anim. Sci. 38:640-645.
- Ponnampalam, E. N., G. R. Trout, A. J. Sinclair, A. R. Egan and B. J. Leury. 2001. Comparison of the color stability and lipid oxidative stability of fresh and vacuum packaged lamb muscle containing elevate omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid levels from dietary manipulation. Meat Sci. 58:151-161.
- Waldman, R. C., G. G. Suess and V. H. Brungardt. 1968. Fatty acids of certain bovine tissue and their association with growth, carcass and palatability traits. J. Anim. Sci. 27:632.
- Garcia-Bojalil, C. M., C. R. Staples, C. A. Risco, J. D. Savio and W. W. Thatcher. 1998. Protein degradability and calcium salts of long-chain fatty acids in the diets of lactating dairy cows: Productive responses. J. Dairy Sci. 81:1374-1384.
- Huerta-Leidenz, N. O., H. R. Cross, J. W. Savell, D. K. Lunt, J. F. Baker and S. B. Smith. 1996. Fatty acid composition of subcutaneous adipose tissue from male calves at different stages of growth. J. Anim. Sci. 74:1256-1264.
- Romans, J. R., R. C. Johnson, D. M. Wulf, G. W. Libal and W. J. Costello. 1995. Effects of ground flaxseed in swine diets on pig performance and on physical and sensory characteristics and omega-3 fatty acid content of pork: I. Dietary level of flaxseed. J. Anim. Sci. 73:1982-1986.
- Melton, S. L., M. Amiri, G. W. Davis and W. R. Backus. 1982. Flavor and chemical characteristics of ground beef from grass-,forage-, grain- and grain-finished steers. J. Anim. Sci. 55:77-87.
- Grundy, S. M. and M. A. Denke. 1990. Dietary influences on serum lipids and lipoproteins. J. Lipid Res. 31:1149-1161.
- Park, B. S. and I. J. Yoo. 1994. Comparison of fatty acid composition among imported beef, Holstein steer beef and Hanwoo beef. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 36(1):69-75.
- Ney, D. M. 1991. Symposium: The role of the nutritional and health benefits in the marketing of dairy products. Potential for enhancing the nutritional properties of milk fat. J. Dairy Sci. 74:4002-4012. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78595-0
- Kita, K., M. Oka and H. Yokota. 2003. Dietary fatty acid increases body weight gain without a change in rumen fermentation in fattening cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:39-43.
- Marchello, J. A., M. Vavra, F. D. Dryden and D. E. Ray. 1970. Influence of sex on certain constituents of bovine muscles. J. Anim. Sci. 31:707.
- SAS Institute, Inc. 1990. SAS User's Guide: Version 6.08. 4th edn. SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Terrell, R. N., G. C. Suess and R. W. Bray. 1969. Influence of sex, liveweight and anatomical location on bovine lipids. I. Fatty acid composition of subcutaneous and intermuscular fat depots. J. Anim. Sci. 28:449.
- Petit, H. V. 2003. Digestion, milk production, milk composition and blood composition of dairy cows fed formaldehyde treated flaxseed or sunflower seed. J. Dairy Sci. 86:2637-2646. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73859-4
- St. John, L. C., D. K. Lunt and S. B. Smith. 1991. Fatty acid elongation and desaturation enzyme activities of bovine liver and subcutaneous adipose tissue microsomes. J. Anim. Sci. 69:1064.
- Westerling, D. B. and H. B. Hedrick. 1979. Fatty acid composition of bovine lipids as influenced by diet, sex and anatomical location and relationship to sensory characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 48:1343-1348.
- Zembayashi, M., K. Nishimura, D. K. Lunt and S. B. Smith. 1995. Effect of breed type and sex on the fatty acid composition of subcutaneous and intramuscular lipids of finishing steers and heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 73:3325-3332.
- Lee, H-J., S. C. Lee, Y. G. Oh, K. H. Kim, H. B. Kim, Y. H. Park, H. S. Chae and I. B. Chung. 2003. Effects of rumen protected oleic acid in the diet on animal performances, carcass quality and fatty acid composition of Hanwoo steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1003-1010.
- Jaturasitha, S., Y. Wudthithumkanaporn, P. Rurksasen and M. Kreuzer. 2002. Enrichment of pork with omega-3 fatty acids by tuna oil supplements: effects on performance as well as sensory, nutritional and processing properties of pork. Asian- Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1622-1633.
- Eguinoa, P., S. Brocklehurst, A. Arana, J. A. Mendizabal, R. G. Vernon and A. Purroy. 2003. Lipogenic enzyme activities in different adipose depot depots of Pirenaican and Holstein bulls and heifers taking into account adipocyte size. J. Anim. Sci. 81:432-440.
- Goodridge, J., J. R. Ingalls and G. H. Crow. 2001. Transfer of omega-3 linolenic acid and linoleic acid to milk fat from flaxseed or linola protected with formaldehyde. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 81:525-532.
- Kim, C. M., J. H. Kim, T. Y. Chung and K. K. Park. 2004. Effects of Flaxseed Diets on Fattening Response of Hanwoo Cattle: 1. Performance and Carcass Characteristics. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1241-1245.
- May, S. G., C. A. Sturdivant, D. K. Lunt, R. K. Miller and S. B. Smith. 1993. Comparison of sensory characteristics and fatty acid composition between Wagyu crossbred and Angus steers. Meat Sci. 35:289-298.
- Christie, W. W. 1981a. The composition, structure and function of lipids in the tissues of ruminant animals. In: (Ed. W. W. Christie) Lipid Metabolism in Ruminant Animals. pp. 95-191. Pergamon Press, New York.
- Sim, J. S. 1998. Designer eggs and their nutritional and functional significance. World Rev. Nutri. Diet. 23:89-101.
- Yoshimura, T. and Namikawa. 1983. Influence of breed, sex and anatomical location on lipid and fatty acid composition of bovine subcutaneous fat. Jpn. J. Zootech. Sci. 54:97.
- Enser, M., R. I. Richardson, J. D. Wood, B. P. Gill and P. R. Sheard. 2000. Feeding linseed to increase the n-3 PUFA of pork: fatty acid composition of muscle, adipose tissue, liver and sausages. Meat Sci. 55:201-212.
- An, B. K., C. Banno, Z. S. Xia, K. Tanaka and S. Ohtani. 1997. Effects of dietary fat sources on lipid metabolism in growing chicks (Gallus domescus). Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 1:119-125.
- Dryden, F. D. and J. A. Marchello. 1970. Influence of total lipid and fatty acid composition upon the palatability of three bovine muscles. J. Anim. Sci. 31:36-41.
- Effects of two protein sources and energy level of diet on the performance of young Marchigiana bulls. 2. Meat quality vol.7, pp.3, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4081/ijas.2008.271
- Changes in Fatty Acid Composition and Distribution of N-3 Fatty Acids in Goat Tissues Fed Different Levels of Whole Linseed vol.2014, pp.1537-744X, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/934154
- The scope for manipulating the polyunsaturated fatty acid content of beef: a review vol.6, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40104-015-0026-z
- Serum fatty acids, biochemical indices and antioxidant status in goats fed canola oil and palm oil blend vol.58, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-016-0088-2