- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Nutritive Evaluation of Forage Plants Grown in South Sulawesi, Indonesia II. Mineral Composition
- Nasrullah, Nasrullah (Assessment Institute for Agricultural Technology) ;
- Niimi, Mitsuhiro (Faculty of Agiculture, Miyazaki University) ;
- Akashi, Ryo (Faculty of Agiculture, Miyazaki University) ;
- Kawamura, Osamu (Faculty of Agiculture, Miyazaki University)
- Received : 2003.01.03
- Accepted : 2003.09.18
- Published : 2004.01.01
In order to evaluate the nutritive value of the forage plants in South Sulawesi, Indonesia, 266 samples (61 grasses and 65 legumes grown in the dry season, 60 grasses and 80 legumes grown in the rainy season) were collected from the highland and the lowland in 1998 to 2000, and were subjected to the determination of mineral composition. The mean contents of Ca, Mg, P, Na and K in grasses were 0.6, 0.3, 0.5, 0.1 and 2.3%, respectively, and in legumes were 1.8, 0.5, 0.8, 0.1 and 1.7%, respectively. The least-squares analysis of variance demonstrated as follows; For the grasses, Ca content was significantly affected by the year
- A manual of experiments for plant biology. 1995. Edited by Kokichi Hinata and Teruyoshi Hashiba. Soft Science Publications, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 275-279.
- ARC. 1980. The nutrient requirements of ruminant livestock. pp. 309-314. Agricultural Research Council. (Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux: Farnham Royal, Slough, G.B.).
- Central Association of Livestock Industry. 2001. Standard tables of feed composition in Japan. Edited by agriculture, forestry and fisheries research council secretariat, MAFF.
- Harvey, W. R. 1990. User's guide for LSMLMW and MIXMDL PC-2 version mixed model least-squares and maximum likehood computer program. Ohio State University, Colombus.
- Haryanto, B. 1992. Ruminant production and feed utilization in Indonesia. In: Proceeding of the 25th International Symposium on Tropical Agriculture Research. Trop. Agric. Res. Ser. No.25.
- Little, D. A. 1986. The mineral content of ruminant feeds and the potential for mineral supplementation in south-east Asia with particular reference to Indonesia. In: Ruminant feeding systems utilizing fibrous agricultural residues-1985. Proc. 5th Ann. Workshop of the Australasian-Asia fibrous Agricultural Residue Research Networ, IDP, Canberra, Australia (Ed. R. M. Dixon) pp. 77-86.
- Loneragan, J. F., J. S. Gladstone and W. J. Simmons. 1968. Mineral elements in temperate crop and pasture plants: 2. Calcium. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 19:353-64.
- McDonald, P., R. A. Edwards, J. F. D. Greenhalgh and C. A. Morgan. 1995. Animal nutrition. 5th Ed. Assison Wesley Longman Limited, Edinburgh Gate, Harlow, UK. pp. 97-127.
- Metson, A. J. and W. M. W. Saunders. 1978. Seasonal variations in chemical composition of pasture: 1. Calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium and phosphorus. New Zealand J. Agric. Res. 21:341-53. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288233.1978.10427419
- Miller, D. A. 1984. Forages crops. College of Agriculture, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, pp. 100-106.
- Minson, D. J. 1990. Forage in ruminant nutrition. Division of tropical crops and pastures. Commonwealth scientific and industrial research organization. St. Lucia, Queensland, Australia.
- Morris, J. G. and G. W. Murphy. 1972. The sodium requirements of beef calves for growth. J. Agric. Sci. 78:105-108.
- Nasrullah, M. Niimi, R. Akashi and O. Kawamura. 2003. Nutritive evaluation of forage plants grown in South Sulawesi, Indonesia. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:693-701.
- NCA. 1976. National Commission on Agriculture. Part VII. Animal Husbandry. Government of India, Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation, New Delhi.
- Panjaitan, M. 1988. Nutritive value of tree legumes introduced in Indonesia. Indonesian Agricultural Research and Development Journal. Vol. 10, No.3.
- Underwood, E. J. 1971. Trace elements in human and animal nutrition. Academic Press, New York.