- Volume 17 Issue 6
This study was performed for parentage verification of the Korean native horse (KNH). 103 random KNH samples (including 19 foals for parentage testing) were genotyped by using 16 microsatellite markers. The number of alleles per locus varied from 5 to 13 with an average value of 8.56 in the KNH. The observed heterozygosity and the expected heterozygosity ranged 0.398-0.893 (the average value was 0.683) and 0.368-0.871 (the average value was 0.727) in the KNH, respectively. The PIC value and the exclusion probability ranged 0.347-0.853 (the average value was 0.692) and 0.208-0.736, respectively, and the total exclusion probability of 16 microsatellite loci was 0.9999. Of the 16 markers, AHT4, AHT5, ASB2, ASB17, HMS2, HMS3, HTG10, LEX33, TKY321 and VHL20 loci have a relatively high PIC value (>0.7) in the KNH. Of the 19 foals, 5 foals were disqualified by an incompatibility of 4-7 markers according to a Mendelian fashion in the present DNA typing for parentage testing. These results present basic information for developing a system for parentage verification and individual identification in the KNH.
Allele;Korean Native Horse;Microsatellite DNA;Parentage Verification
- Bowling, A. T. 1997. Nine equine dinucleotide repeats at microsatellite loci UCDEQ136, UCDEQ405, UCDEQ412, UCDEQ425, UCEDQ437, UCDEQ467, UCDEQ487, UCDEQ502 and UCDEQ505. Anim. Genet. 28:370-371. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.1997.tb03270.x
- Cho, G. J., T. S. Kim, Y. H. Um, B. H. Kim and J. S. You. 1999. Genetic studies of blood markers in Cheju horses. I. Red blood cell types. Kor. J. Vet. Res. 39(6):1066-1072.
- Cho, G. J. 2002. Microsatellite DNA polymorphism of Thoroughbred horses in Korea. Kor. J. Genetics 24(2):177-182.
- Dewoody, J. A. and J. C. Avise. 2000. Microsatellite variation in marine, freshwater and anadromous fishes compared with other animals. J. Fish Biology 56:461-473.
- Vegapla, J. L., P. P. Rodriguezgallardo and M. J. Zamarano. 1998. Exclusion probability in Spanish Pure Breed Horse (Andalusian Horse) with microsatellites (abstract only). Anim. Genet. 29:17.
- Oh, M. Y. and Y. H. Jung. 2001. Mitochodrial DNA Polymorphism in Cheju and Tsushima Native Horses Using SSCP Analysis. Kor. J. Genetics 23(1):35-43.
- Tozaki, T. 2001. Characterization of equine microsatellites and repetitive elements, and validation of paternity testing for Thoroughbreds. A. Ph. D. Dissertation. Showa University. Japan.
- Cho, B. W., K. W. Lee, H. S. Kang, S. K. Kim, T. S. Shin and Y. G. Kim. 2001. Application of polymerse chain reaction with short oligonucleotide primers of arbitrary sequence for the genetic analysis of Cheju native horse. J. Agri. Tech. Dev. Inst. 5:109-114.
- Cho, G. J., B. H. Kim, D. S. Lee and J. A. Shin. 2000b. Usefulness of microsatellite markers for horse parentage testing. Kor. J. Genetics 22(4):281-287.
- Luikart, G., M. P. Biju-Duval, Y. Ertugrul, C. Zagdsuren, C. Maudet and P. Taberlet. 1999. Power of 22 microsatellite markers in fluorescent multiplexes for parentage testing in goats (Capra hircus). Anim. Genet. 30:431-438.
- Marshall, T. C., J. Slate, L. Kruuk and J. M. Pemberton. 1998. Statistical confidence for likelihood-based paternity inference in natural populations. Molecular Ecology 7:639-655. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-294x.1998.00374.x
- Marklund, S., H. Ellegren, S. Eriksson, K. Sandberg and L. Andersson. 1994. Parentage testing and linkage analysis in the horse using a set of highly polymorphic microsatellites. Anim. Genet. 25:19-23.
- Tozaki, T., H. Kakoi, S. Mashima, K. I. Hirota, T. Hasegawa, N. Ishida, N. Miura, N. H. Choi-Miura and M. Tomita. 2001. Population Study and Validation of Paternity Testing for Thoroughbred Horses by 15 Microsatellite Loci. J. Vet. Med. Sci. 63(11):1191-1197.
- Han, S. K., H. D. Byun and E. R. Chung. 2002. Genetic analysis of Korean native horses using microsatellite markers(abstract only). Proc. 28th ISAG Conf. Anim. Genet. pp. 101-102.
- Ellegren, H., M. Johansson, K. Sandberg and L. Andersson. 1992. Cloning of highly polymorphic microsatellites in the horse. Anim. Genet. 23:133-142.
- Bozzini, M., D. Fantin, J. S. Ziegle, H. Van Haeringen, W. Jacobs, M. Ketcham, M. Spencer and S. Bates. 1996. Automated equine paternity testing. Anim. Genet. 27:32.
- Cho, G. J., B. H. Kim, D. S. Lee and K. K. Lee. 2000a. Genetic studies of blood markers in Cheju horses. II. Blood protein types. Kor. J. Vet. Res. 40(2):283-290.
- Bowling, A. T. 1996. Horse genetics. CAB International, pp. 82-96.
- Kim, K. S., J. S. Yeo, J. W. Lee, J. W. Kim and C. B. Choi. 2002. Genetic diversity of goats from and China using microsatellite analysis. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:461-265.
- DNA testing for parentage verification in a conservation nucleus of Pantaneiro horse vol.31, pp.1, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1415-47572008000100013
- Microsatellite Based Phylogeny and Bottleneck Studies of Iranian Indigenous Goat Populations vol.25, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1080/10495398.2013.850431
- Analysis of Genetic Diversity and Structure of Guanzhong Horse Using Microsatellite Markers pp.1532-2378, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/10495398.2017.1416392
- Probabilistic Expert Systems for Forensic Inference from DNA Markers in Horses: Applications to Confirm Genealogies with Lack of Genetic Data vol.101, pp.2, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1093/jhered/esp090