- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effects of Ensiled Cassava Tops on Rumen Environment Parameters, Thyroid Gland Hormones and Liver Enzymes of Cows Fed Urea-treated Fresh Rice Straw
- Khang, Duong Nguyen (Department of Animal Physiology and Chemistry, Faculty of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine Nong Lam University) ;
- Wiktorsson, Hans (Department of Animal Physiology and Chemistry, Faculty of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine Nong Lam University)
- Received : 2003.07.15
- Accepted : 2004.04.01
- Published : 2004.07.01
Four rumen-cannulated cows (330 kg average weight at 4 years) were used to evaluate the supplement of ensiled cassava tops (ECT) (variety KM 94, 39% DM) on rumen functions, thyroid hormones and liver enzymes. The treatments, arranged in a 4
Cow;Ensiled Cassava Tops;Dry Matter Intake;Rumen;Thyroid Gland Hormones;Liver Enzymes
Supported by : Swedish International Development Authority
- Hong, N. T. T., M. Wanapat, C. Wachirapakorn, P. Pakdee and P. Rowlinson. 2003. Effects of timing of initial cutting and subsequent cutting on yields and chemical compositions of cassava hay and its supplementation on lactating dairy cows, Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1763-1769.
- Majak, W., R. E. McDiarmid, J. W. Hall and K. J. Cheng. 1990. Factors that determine rates of cyanogenesis in bovine ruminal fluid in vitro. J. Anim. Sci. 68:1648-1655.
- Marai, I. F. M., A. A. M. Habeeb and H. M. Farghaly. 1999. Productive, Physiological and biochemical changes in imported and locally born friesian and holstein lactating cows under hot summer conditions of egypt. Trop. Anim. Health and Prod. 31:233-243.
- Mitin, V., B. Mijic, V. B. Matotek and K. Mikulec. 1983. Development of thyroid hormone activity in cattle. Vet. Arhiv. 53: 85-98.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597.
- Wanapat, M., O. Pimpa, W. Sripuek, T. Puramongkol, A. Petlum, U. Boontao, C. Wachirapakorn, K. Sommart and J. D. Brooker. 1999. Cassava hay: an important on-farm feed for ruminants. In: Tannins in livestock and human nutrition. Proceedings of an International Workshop, Adelaide, Australia, 31 May-2 June, 1999. pp. 71-74.
- Garcia, R. L. and J. Herrera. 1998. Milk production from pastures and cassava (Manihot esculenta) or sweet potato (Ipomea batata) integral forage plant supplementation. Cuban J. Agric. Sci. 32:29-31.
- Majak, W. and K. J. Cheng. 1987. Hydrolysis of the cyanogenic glycosides amygdalin, prunasin and linamarin by ruminal microorganisms. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 67:1133-1137.
- Man, N. V. and H. Wiktorsson. 2001. Cassava tops ensiled with or without molasses as additive effects on quality, feed intake and digestibility by heifers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:624-630.
- Man, N. V. and and H. Wiktorsson. 2002. Effect of molasses on nutritional quality of cassava and Gliricidia tops silage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1294-1299.
- Hill, D. C. 1973. Chronic cyanide toxicity in domestic animals. In Chronic Cassava Toxicity. Proceedings of the Interdisciplinary Workshop. London, pp. 105-111.
- Ravindran, V., E. T. Kornegay, A. S. B. Rajaguru and D. R. Notter. 1987. Cassava leaf meal as a replacement for coconut meal in pig diets. J. National Sci. Council of Sri Lanka. 7:105-110.
- Officer, D. I. 2000. Feed enzymes. In Farm animal metabolism and nutrition. (Ed. J. P. F. D’Mello). CABI Publishing, Wallingford, UK, pp. 405-425.
- Majak, W. and K. J. Cheng. 1984. Cyanogenesis in bovine rumen fluid and pure cultures of rumen bacteria. J. Anim. Sci. 59:784- 790.
- Wanapat, M., T. Puramongkol and W. Sripuek. 2000. Feeding of cassava hay for lactating dairy cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:478-482.
- Lingvall, P. and B. Ericson. 1981. Dry matter determination of silage. (Mimeo. Swedish Univ. Agric. Sci., Dept. of Anim. Nutr., Report 45). Uppsala, Sweden.
- Singh, K. and V. K. Goel. 1986. Thyroid activity during moderate and hot-humid periods in crossbred cattle. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 56:524-526.
- O’Kelly, J. C. and W. G. Spiers. 1994. Thyroid hormone concentrations in the plasma of fed and fasted Brahman and Hereford steers. Aust. J. Exp. Agric. 34:439.
- Brown, D. L. and E. Chavalimu. 1985. Effect of ensiling or drying on five forage species in Western Kenya: Zea mays (Maize stover), Pennisetum purpureum (Pakistan Napier grass), Pennisetum sp. (Bana grass), Impomea batana (Sweet potato vines) and Cajanus cajan (Pigeon pea leaves). Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 13:1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(85)90037-9
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists (15th Ed.), Washington, DC. 1:69-90.
- Khurana, M. L. and M. L. Madan. 1986. Seasonal influence on thyroidal response to thyrotrophin releasing hormone in cattle and buffaloes. J. Endocri. 108:57-61.
- Majak, W. 1992. Metabolism and absorption of toxic glycosides by ruminants. J. Range Manage. 45:67-71.
- Satter, L. D. and L. L. Slyter. 1974. Effect of ammonia concentration on rumen microbial protein production in vitro. Br. J. Nutr. 32:199.
- Ffoulkes, D. and T. R. Preston. 1979. Fattening cattle with molasses/urea and cassava or sweet potato forage. Trop. Anim. Prod. 4:97-98.
- Han, B., Y. Shi, G. Y. Liu, W. Wang, D. S. Liu and J. Liang. 1998. Studies on the free radicals and thyroid hormone metabolism in cattle with iodine and selenium deficiency. J. Northeast Agricultural University, English Ed. 5:12-21.
- Kumar, R. 1992. Anti-nutritional factors, the potential risks of toxicity and methods to alleviate them. In Legume trees and other fodder tree as protein sources for livestock. (Ed. A. Speedy and P. Pugliese). FAO, Animal Production and Health Paper 102:145-160.
- Terrill, T. H., A. M. Rowan, G. B. Douglas and T. N. Barry. 1992. Determination of extractable and bound condensed tannin concentrations in forage plants, protein-concentrate meals and cereal grains. J. Sci. Food Agric. 58:321-329.
- Barash, H., Y. Aharoni, A. Brosh and Z. Holzer. 1998. Effects of low energy diets followed by a compensatory diet on body weight gain and plasma hormone concentrations in bull calves. J. Dairy Sci. 81:250-254.
- Khang, D. N. and H. Wiktorsson. 2000. Effects of cassava leaf meal on the rumen environment of local yellow cattle fed ureatreated paddy straw. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1102-1108.
- Ravindran, V. and A. S. B. Rajaguru. 1988. Effect of stem pruning on cassava root yield and leaf growth. Sri Lankan J. Agric. Sci. 25:32-37.
- Silagem da parte aérea de cultivares de mandioca vol.36, pp.6, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-84782006000600037
- Effect of replacing alfalfa hay with a mixture of cassava foliage silage and sweet potato vine silage on ruminal and intestinal digestion in sheep pp.13443941, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12925