- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effects of Feeding High and Low Energy Levels during Late Pregnancy on Performance of Crossbred Dairy Cows and Their Calves
- Khan, M.A.A. (Department of Dairy Science, Bangladesh Agricultural University) ;
- Islam, M.N. (Department of Dairy Science, Bangladesh Agricultural University) ;
- Khan, M.A.S. (Department of Dairy Science, Bangladesh Agricultural University) ;
- Akbar, M.A. (Department of Animal Nutrition, Bangladesh Agricultural University)
- Received : 2003.11.21
- Published : 2004.07.01
The present research was designed to evaluate the effects of pre and post-partum energy level and feeding pattern on the performance of crossbred dairy cows and their calves under farm conditions. A total of 16 crossbred dairy cows were divided into two equal groups on the basis of their body weight and milk production. One group was given 30% less and the another was given 30% more energy than MAFF's (1984) recommendation. After calving all cows were given same ad.libitum diet to assess the effects of feeding during pregnancy on their performance. It was observed that just before calving cows on low energy group gained less (p<0.05) weight than that of the cows on high energy group (12.9
Pre-calving;Dairy Cow;Feed Supply;Nutrition and Lactation;Feed Intake;Reproduction
Supported by : University Grants Commission
- AOAC. 1985. Official Methods of Analysis. 13th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington DC.
- Clutter, A. C. and M. K. Nielsen. 1987. Effect of level of beef cow milk production on pre-and post-weaning calf growth. J. Anim. Sci. 64:1313-1322.
- Dunn, I. G., U. E. Ingalls, D. R. Zimmerman and J. N. Wiltbank. 1969. Reproductive performance of two-year Hereford and Angus heifers as influenced by pre and post calving energy intake. J. Anim. Sci. 29:719.
- Hall, D. H. 1974. Studies on the level of LH and progesterone levels in heifers on restricted energy intakes. J. Anim. Sci. 4:51.
- Hight, G. K. 1968. Plane of nutrition effects in late pregnancy and during lactation on beef cows and their calves to weaning. N. Z. J. Agric. Resh. 11:71-84. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288233.1968.10431636
- Joubert, D. M. and F. N. Bousma. 1958. The effect of nutrition on the birth of calves. Nutr. Abst. Review. 28:303.
- Kunj, P. L., J. W. Blum, I. C. Hart, H. Bickel and J. Lands. 1985. Effects of different energy intakes before and after calving on food intake, performance blood hormones and metabolites in dairy cows. J. Anim. Prod. 40:219-231.
- Rakha, A. M. and G. Igbboeli. 1971. Effect of nutrition, season and age on the estrous cycle of indigenous Central African cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 32:943-945.
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1980. Principle and procedure of statistic: A Biometrical Approach. 2nd edn. Mc-Graw -Hill Book Company New York, New York.
- McDonald, P., R. A. Edwards and J. F. D. Greenhalgh. 1985. Animal nutrition. Third edn. Longman Group Limited. Longman House. Burnt Mill. Harlow Essex, CM20 2 JE, ngland.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food. 1984. Energy allowances and feeding system for ruminants. Tech. bull. 433. Her majesty’s Stationery Office, London.
- Islam, M. N., K. M. A. Islam, A. Wadud and M. N. Hasan. 1992. Studies on the quality of milk available in surrounding local markets of Manikganj milk chilling centre and Milk Vita, Manikganj.
- Murphy, J. J. 1999. Effect of dry protein feeding on post-partum milk production and composition. Livestock prod. Sci. 57(2):169-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(98)00164-X
- Agarwala, A. C. and R. M. Sharma. 1961. A laboratory manual of milk inspection, 4th edition. Asian Publishing House, Bombay.
- Jenness, R. and S. Patton. 1959. Principles of Dairy Chemistry, New York. John Willey and Sons. Inc. p. 223.
- Schimid, G. H. and L. H. Schultz. 1959. Effect of three levels of grain feeding during the period on the incidence of Ketosis, Severity of udder edema and subsequent milk production of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 42:170.
- Eckles, C. H., W. B. Combs and H. Macy. 1951. Milk and milk products, 4th edition, McGrow Hill Book Company, New York-Toranto-London. p. 69.
- Russel, A. J. E., J. N. Peart, J. Eadie, A. J. MacDonald and I. R. White. 1979. The influence of energy intake during late pregnancy on the production from two genotypes of sucker cow. J. Amin. Prod. 28:309-327.
- ARC. 1990. ‘The Nutrient Requirements of Ruminant Livestock’ (Commonwealth Agricultural Bureau: Farnham Royal.)
- Islam, M. N. 1988. The effects of pre-calving nutrition on the performance of single and twin pregnant beef cows and their calves. Ph. D. Dissertation. School of Agril. Univ. Aberdeen.
- Ranjhan, S. K. 1993. Animal Nutrition in Tropic. Vikas Publishing House, New Delhi.
- Webb, S. K. and P. J. Dziuk. 1974. Effect of stage of gestation and uterine space on prenatal survival in the pig. J. Anim. Sci. 38:960.
- Anthony, R. V., R. A. Bellows, R. E. short, R. B. Staigmiller, C. C. Kaltenbach and T. G. Dunn. 1986. Fetal growth of beef calves. 1. Effect of pre-partum dietary crude protein on birth weight, blood metabolites and steroid hormone concentrations. J. Anim. Sci. 62:1363-1374.
- Larson, R. 2000. Nutrition management to reduce the incidence of displaced abomesum. Nutrition Management Guides. Dairy Research and Extension News, Kansas State Univ. and Oklahoma State Univ.
- King, J. O. L. 1968. The relationship between conception rate and changes in body weight, yild and S.N.F. content of milk in dairy cows. Veterinary Record 38:492.
- Prasad, S. and O. S. Tomer. 1996. Effect of body condition at calving and postpartum level of feeding on the performance traits of crossbred cattle-body condition score and body weight. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 49(2):70.
- Corah, L. R., C. C. Waltenbach, T. E. Kiser and T. G. Dunn. 1973. Pre-partum energy and sire effect on cow reproduction. J. Anim. Sci. 37:241 (Abstr.).
- Patchell, M. R. 1957. N.Z.J. Sci. Techno. 38 A: 682. Cited from Broster, W. H. 1971. Dairy Sci. Abstr. 33:253-270.
- Dindorkar, C. V., S. J. Muzaffar and A. S. Kaikini. 1982. Note on the effect of feeding extra energy diets to anoestrous cattle. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 52:1228-1229.
- Corah, L. R., T. G. Dunn and C. C. Kaltenbach. 1975. Influence of prepartum nutrition on the reproductive performance of beef females and the performance of their progeny. J. Amin. Sci. 41:819.
- Garnsworthy, P. C. and G. P. Jones. 1987. The influence of body condition at calving and dietary protein supplements on Voluntary food intake and performance in dairy cows. Amin. Prod. 66:347-353.
- Goehring, T. B., L. R Corah and L. A. Peterson. 1987. Effect of energy and lasalocid levels of primiparous beef cows. ii. Postpartum productivity. J. Anim. Sci. 65 (suppl.1):103.