- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Protective Effect of Modified Glucomannans against Changes in Antioxidant Systems of Quail Egg and Embryo due to Aurofusarin Consumption
Dvorska, J.E.;Surai, P.F.
- Received : 2003.07.31
- Accepted : 2003.12.03
- Published : 2004.03.01
The aim of this study was to evaluate effects of modified glucomannan (
Aurofusarin;Quail;Mycosorb;Carotenoids;Vitamin A;Lipid Peroxidation
- Devegowda, G. and K. L. Aravind. 2003. Use of glucomannan to reduce the effects of ochratoxin A in broilers. Abstracts of Lectures and Posters, the Second World Mycotoxin Forum. Noordwijk, The Netherlands, p. 122.
- Dvorska, J. E. 2000. The effect of aurofusarin on the chicken meat quality. Vestnik of the Sumy Agrarian University, Sumy, Ukraine. 5, 46-49.
- Fink-Gremmels, J. 1999. Mycotoxins: their implications for human and animal health. Veterinary Quarterly 21:115-210.
- Furr, H. C., D. A. Cooper and J. A. Olson. 1986. Separation of retinyl esters by non-aqueous reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatography. J. Chormatogr. [B] 378:45-53.
- Kotyk, A. N. 1999. Poultry mycotoixicosis. Poultry Reserch Institute, Ukraine.
- Wood, G. E. 1992. Mycotoxins in foods and feeds in the United States. J. Anim. Sci. 70: 3941-3949. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.70123941x
- Yaroshenko, F., J. E. Dvorska and P. F. Surai. 2003. Mycotoxins in poultry production: problems and solutions. Poultry International 42:12-16.
- Kubena, L. F., R. B. Harvey, W. E. Huff, D. E. Corrier, T. D. Philips and G. E. Rottinghaus. 1989. Influence of ochratoxin A and T-2 toxin singly and in combination on broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 68:867-872.
- Dvorska, J. E. and P. F. Surai. 2001. Effect of T-2 toxin, zeolite and Mycosorb on antioxidant systems of growing quail. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:1752-1757.
- Surai, P. F. 2000. Effect of the selenium and vitamin E content of the maternal diet on the antioxidant system of the yolk and the developing chick. Br. Poult. Sci. 41:235-243. https://doi.org/10.1080/713654909
- Surai, P. F. and N. H. C. Sparks. 2001. Developing optimal egg status for a viable chick. (Ed. R. J. Diprose, G. D. Coles and J. G. Foulds) Poultry Beyond 2005. Carving a great future. Poultry Industry Association of New Zealand, pp. 40-53.
- Bata, A., A. Vanyi and R. Lasztity. 1983. Simultaneous detection of some fusariotoxins by gas-liquid chromatography. J. Assoc. Off Anal. Chem. 66:577-581.
- Freimund, S., M. Sauter and P. Rys. 2003. Efficient adsorption of the mycotoxins zearalenone and T-2 toxin on a modified yast glucan. J. Environ. Sci. Health B 38:243-255.
- Santin, E., A. Maiorka, E. L. Krabbe, A. C. Paulillo and A. C. Alessi. 2002. Effect of hydrated sodium calcium alumocilicate on the prevention of the toxic effects of ochratoxin. J. Appl. Poult. Sci. 11:22-28.
- Danicke, S., K. H. Ueberschar, I. Halle, S. Matthes, H. Valenta and G. Flachowsky. 2002. Effect of addition of a detoxifying agent to laying hen diets containing uncontaminated or Fusarium toxin-contaminated maize on performance of hens and on carryover of zearalenone. Poult. Sci. 81:1671-1680.
- Surai, P. F., N. K. Royle and N. H. C. Sparks. 2000a. Fatty acid, carotenoid and vitamin A composition of tissues of free living gulls. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 26A:387-396.
- Kotyk, A. N., V. A. Trufanova and V. A. Breslavets. 1990. A syndrome of changing egg quality. Nauchno-Technicheskij Bulletin of the Ukrainian Poultry Research Institute, Kharkov 29:41-42.
- Dvorska, J. E., P. F. Surai, B. K. Speake and N. H. C. Sparks. 2003. Protective effect of Modified Glucomannans against aurofusarin-induced changes in quail egg and embryo. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. (135C:337-343).
- Kotyk, A. N. and V. A. Trufanova. 1998. Detection of naphthoquinone fusariotoxin aurofusarin in wheat. Mycology and Phytopathology 32:58-61.
- Aravind, K. L., V. S. Patil, G. Devegowda, B. Umakantha and S. P. Ganpule. 2003. Efficacy of esterified glucomannan to counteract mycotoxicosis in naturally contaminated feed on performance and serum biochemical and hematological parameters in broilers. Poult. Sci. 82:571-576.
- Dvorska, J. E. 2001a. Effect of aurofusarin, a mycotoxin produced by Fusarium graminearum, on Japanese quails. Abstracts of International Symposium Bioactive Fungal metabolites-Impact and Exploitation, University of Wales Swansea, pp. 32-33.
- Huff. W. E. and J. A. Doerr. 1981. Synergism between aflatoxin and ochratoxin A in broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 60:550-555.
- Manoj, K. B. and G. Devegowda. 2000. Efficacy of esterified glucomannan to ameliorate the toxic effects of T-2 toxin in layer hens. Poult. Sci. 79 (Suppl. 1):270 (Abstr.).
- Smith, T. K., H. V. L. N. Swamy and S. R. Chowdhury. 2003. The potential to prevent Fusarium mycotoxin-induced immunomodulation through the feeding of a polymeric organic mycotoxin adsorbent. Abstracts of Lectures and Posters, the Second World Mycotoxin Forum. Noordwijk, The Netherlands, p. 137.
- Dvorska, J. E., P. F. Surai, B. K. Speake and N. H. C. Sparks. 2002. Antioxidant systems of the developing quail embryo are compromised by mycotoxin aurofusarin. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 131C:197-205.
- Kotyk, A. N., V. A. Trufanova, V. A. Brestlavets and Z. T. Metasheva. 1995. Egg quality in Rhode Island Red hens fed by Fusarium graminearum culture. Proc. 6th European Symp. on the Quality of Eggs and Egg products. Zaragoza, Spain. pp. 263-266.
- Dvorska, J. E., P. F. Surai and N. H. C. Sparks. 2001. Mycotoxin aurofusarin: effect on quail. Scientific programme and abstracts of 6th International Symposium on Poisonous plants, Glasgow, UK, p. 86.
- Santin, E., A. C. Paulillo, P. C. Maiorka, A. C. Alessi, E. L. Krabbe and A. Maiorka. 2002a. The effects of ochratoxin/aluminosilicate interaction on the tissues and humoral immune response of broilers. Avian Pathol. 31:73-79.
- Swamy, H. V., T. K. Smith, P. F. Cotter, H. J. Boermans and A. E. Sefton. 2002a. Effects of feeding blends of grains naturally contaminated with Fusarium mycotoxins on production and metabolism in broilers. Poult. Sci. 81:966-975.
- Sakhatsky, I. M. 1999. Effect on Fusarium graminearum mycotoxins on reproduction and immunity of laying hens. Veterinary Medicine of Ukraine 9:34-35.
- Dvorska, J. E., P. F. Surai, B. K. Speake and N. H. C. Sparks. 2001. Effect of the mycotoxin aurofusarin on the fatty acid profile and antioxidant composition of quail eggs. Br. Poult. Sci. 42:664-670.
- Dvorska, J. E. 2001. Influence of sorbents during aurofusarinotoxicosis and T-2-toxicosis of quails and hen.- PhD Thesis. Institute of Experimental and Clinical Veterinary Medicine of UAAS, Kharkov, Ukraine.
- Raju, M. V. and G. Devegowda. 2000. Influence of esterified glucomannan on performance and organ morphology, serum biochemistry and haematology in broilers exposed to individual and combined mycotoxicosis (aflatoxin, ochratoxin and T-2 toxin). Br. Poult. Sci. 41:640-650.
- Danicke, S., K. H. Ueberschar, I. Halle, H. Valenta and G. Flachowsky. 2001. Excretion kinetics and metabolism of zearalenone in broilers in dependence on a detoxifying agent. Arch. Tierernahr. 55:299-313.
- Surai, P. F., R. C. Noble and B. K. Speake. 1996. Tissue-specific differences in antioxidant distribution and susceptibility to lipid peroxidation during development of the chick embryo. Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 1304:1-10.
- Swamy, H. V., T. K. Smith, E. J. MacDonald, H. J. Boermans and E. J. Squires. 2002. Effects of feeding a blend of grains naturally contaminated with Fusarium mycotoxins on swine performance, brain regional neurochemistry, and serum chemistry and the efficacy of a polymeric glucomannan mycotoxin adsorbent. J. Anim. Sci. 80:3257-3267.
- Dvorska, J. E. 2000b. Effect of dimeric naphthoquinone aurofusarin produced by Fusarium graminearum on chicken meat quality. Proc. XXI World’s Poultry Congress, Montreal, Canada. CD-ROM.
- Reddy, N. B. and G. Devegowda. 2003. Glucomannan: a promising solution for the adsorption of T-2 toxin in biological system of chickens. Abstracts of Lectures and Posters, the Second World Mycotoxin Forum. Noordwijk, The Netherlands, p. 134.
- Surai, P. F., B. K. Speake, A. R. Wood, J. D. Blount, G. B. Bortolotti and N. H. C. Sparks. 2001. Carotenoid discrimination by the avian embryo: a lesson from wild birds. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 128B:743-750.
- Dvorska, J. E. 2000a. The chicken meat quality during aurofusariotoxicosis. Proc. Internat. Conf. on Progressive Technologies in Poultry in 21st Century. Kyiv, Ukraine. pp. 32-35.
- Devegowda, G., M. V. L. N. Raju and H. V. L. N. Swmy. 1998. Mycotoxins: Novel solutions for their counteraction. Feedstuffs 70:12-15.
- Dvorska, J. E., T. I. Fotina, A. N. Kotyk and V. O. Trufanova. 2000. F. graminearum dimmeric naphthoquinone metabolite aurofusarin- the new factor of crop pollution. Proceedings of the Xth International Congress on Animal Hygiene. Maastricht, The Netherlands, Vol. 1, pp. 412-414.
- Danicke, S., S. Matthes, I. Halle, K. H. Ueberschar, S. Doll and H. Valenta. 2003. Effects of graded levels of Fusarium toxincontaminated wheat and of a detoxifying agent in broiler diets on performance, nutrient digestibility and blood chemical parameters. Br. Poult. Sci. 44:113-126.
- Huwig, A., S. Freimund, O. Kappeli and H. Dutler. 2001. Mycotoxin detoxication of animal feed by different adsorbents. Toxicol. Lett. 122:179-188.
- Leeson, S., G. Diaz and J. D. Summers. 1995. Poultry metabolic Disorders and Mycotoxins. University Books. Guelph, Canada.
- Surai, P. F. 2002. Natural Antioxidants in Avian Nutrition and Reproduction. Nottingham University Press, Nottingham, UK.
- yolk carotenoid and testosterone levels interactively influence female transfer of yolk antioxidants to her eggs vol.14, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1098/rsbl.2018.0103