- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Genetic Variability of mtDNA Sequences in Chinese Native Chicken Breeds
- Liu, Z.G. (Poultry Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Lei, C.Z. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest Sci.-Tech. University of Agriculture and Forestry) ;
- Luo, J. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest Sci.-Tech. University of Agriculture and Forestry) ;
- Ding, C. (Poultry Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Chen, G.H. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Yangzhou University) ;
- Chang, H. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Yangzhou University) ;
- Wang, K.H. (Poultry Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Liu, X.X. (Poultry Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Zhang, X.Y. (Poultry Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Xiao, X.J. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Yangzhou University) ;
- Wu, S.L. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Yangzhou University)
- Received : 2003.10.31
- Accepted : 2004.03.22
- Published : 2004.07.01
The variability of mtDNA hypervariable segment I (HVS I) sequences was investigated in a total of 48 birds belonging to 12 Chinese native chicken breeds. Sixteen haplotypes were identified from 35 polymorphic nucleotide sites which accounted for 6.4% of a sequenced 544 bp fragment. Diversity analysis of the haplotypes showed that Tibetan, Langshan and Henan cockfight chicken had only one haplotype, while ancient haplotypes existed in Taihe silky and Chahua chicken. Phylogenetic analysis of the haplotypes suggested that Chinese native chicken breeds shared 5 maternal lineages and some breeds would share the same maternal lineage, regardless of their external features and ecological types. Both divergent and phylogenetic analysis of the haplotypes indicated the close genetic relationships between the Chinese native chicken breeds and G. g. gallus and G. g. spadiceus from different areas, which implied that G. g. gallus and G. g. spadiceus were the original ancestors of the Chinese native chicken breeds.
Chinese;Native Chicken;Jungle Fowl;mtDNA;Haplotype;Original Ancestor
- Cheng, G. C., K. F. Liu, Q. Zhang and Z. X. Dan. 1996. Genetic relationship among domestic fowl and G.gallus. Acta Genetica Sinica. 23:96-104.
- Desjardins, P. and R. Moraris. 1990. Sequence and gene organization of the chicken mitochondrial genome: A novel gene order in higher vertebrates. J. Mol. Biol. 20:599-634.
- Lai, Y. B. and F. H. Huang. 2001. Annals for native livestock and poultry breeds in Jiangxi province. Jiangxi Sci. Tech. Press, Nanchang, China.
- Mason, I. L. 1987. Ed: Evolution of Domesticated Animals translation group. Evolution of Domesticated Animals. Nanjing University Press, Nanjing, China.
- Randi, E. and V. Lucchini. 1998. Organization and evolution of the mitochondrial DNA control region in the avian genus Alectoris. J. Mol. Evol. 47:449-462.
- Wu, D. C. 2003. Papers of Chinese Cockfighting and Other Scribble: Wu Da-chun’s Corpus. Yuanfan Press, Huhehat, hina.
- Chang, H. 1995. Conspectus of Genetic Resources of Livestock. Chinese Agriculture Press, Beijing, China.
- Cheng, G. C., D. W. Zhou and L. C. Wu. 1991. Studies of bloodgroups of chicken: Ⅹ. Analysis of blood-groups and plasm protein polymorphisms of eleven Chinese native fowl breeds. Acta Genetica Sinica. 18:415-423.
- Zeng, Y. Z. 1987. Research of Karyotype and G-band characteristics of G.domesticus and G.gallus. J. Yunnan Agric. Univ. 2:57-62.
- Compilation Committee of Annals of Domestic Animal and Poultry Breeds in Yunnan Province and Yunnan Provincial Bureau of Animal Husbandry. Annals for livestock and poultry breeds in Yunnan province. Yunnan Sci.-Tech. Press, Kunming, China.
- Zheng, G. M. 1995. Ornithology. Beijing Normal University Press, Beijing, China.
- Mohd-Azmi, M. L., A. S. Ali and W. K. Kheng. 2000. DNA Fingerprinting of red jungle fowl, village chicken and broiler. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1040-1043.
- Ohno, S. 1997. The one ancestor per generation rule and three other rules of mitochondrial inheritance. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 94:8033-8035.
- Zhu, X. 1958. Biologic Evolution. Science Press, Beijing, China.
- Guizhou Provincial Development Station for Animal Breeds. 1997. Complemental censuses on genetic resources of livestock and poultry breeds in four provinces in the Southwest of China (Ed. of Guizhou province) (unpublished).
- Hashiguchi, T., T. Nishida, Y. Hayashi, Y. Maeda and S. S. Manjoer. 1993. Blood protein polymorphisms of native and jungle fowls in Indonesia. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 6:27-35.
- Zhou, P., T. Q. Zhang and W. Wang. 1997. RFLP analysis of mtDNA in several native chicken breeds in Yunnan province of China. Chin. J. Anim. Hus. 33:26-27.
- Pandey, A. K., M. S. Tantia, Dinesh Kumar, Bina Mishra, Preeti Chaudhary and R. K. Vijh. 2002. Microsatellite anlysis of three poultry breeds of India. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1536-1542.
- Wang, W., H. Lan and A. H. Liu. 1994. Diversity analysis of mtDNA in G.domusticus and G.gallus. Zool. Res. 15:55-60.
- West, B. and B. X. Zhou. 1988. Did chicken go north? New evidence for domestication. J. Archaeol. Sci. 14:515-533.
- Ward, R. H., A. J. Redd and D. Valencia. 1993. Genetic and inguistic differentiation in Americas. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 90:10663-10667.
- Wang, D. Q., G. H. Chen, X. S. Wu and X. Y. Zhang. 2003. nalysis of genetic relationships among Chinese native chicken breeds by microsatellite markers. J. Yangzhou Univ. 24:1-6.
- Cheng, G. C., F. M. Huang, Q. X. Zhou, W. C. Bo and Z. X. Dan. 2000. Germplasm Characteristics of Chinese Native Chicken Breeds. Shanghai Sci.-Tech. Press, Shanghai, China.
- Fumihito, A., T. Miyake and M. Takada. 1996. Monophyletic origin and unique dispersal patterns of domestical fowls. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 93:6792-6795.
- Qiu, X. P., E Chen and Y. X. Chen. 1988. Chinese Poultry Breed Annals. Shanghai Sci. Tech. Press, Shanghai, China.
- Torroni, A., T. G. Shurr and M. F. Cabell. 1993. Asian affinities and continental radiation of the four founding Native American mtDNA. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 53:563-590.
- Kumar, S., K. Tamura and M. Nei. 1993. MEGA: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis, Version 1.02. The Pennsylvania State University.
- Thompson, J. D., T. J. Gibson and F. Pelewniak. 1997. The Cluster-X Windows interface: Flexible strategies ed. for multiple sequences alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Res. 25:4876-4882. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/25.24.4876
- Fu, Y., D. Niu and H. Ruan. 2001. Studies of genetic diversity of native chicken breeds in Zhejiang province of China. Acta Genetica Sinica. 28:606-613.
- Genetic Relationship of Chinese and Japanese Gamecocks Revealed by mtDNA Sequence Variation vol.44, pp.1-2, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10528-006-9012-7
- Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Analysis of the COI Gene in Korean Native Chicken vol.36, pp.1, 2009, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2009.36.1.085
- Genetic Variability of mtDNA D-loop Region in Korean Native Chickens vol.36, pp.4, 2009, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2009.36.4.323
- Investigating the Global Dispersal of Chickens in Prehistory Using Ancient Mitochondrial DNA Signatures vol.7, pp.7, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0039171
- Molecular Characterization of Sudanese and Southern Sudanese Chicken Breeds Using mtDNA D-Loop vol.2014, pp.2090-3162, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/928420
- The analysis of the mtDNA D-loop polymorphism for assessing the population diversity of the Pavlov chicken breed vol.7, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1134/S2079059717060041
- ) breeds pp.1532-2378, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/10495398.2018.1476376