- Volume 13 Issue 2
In the removal of heavy metals from the mine deposit using electrokinetic processes, the effects of operation under both constant current and constant potential conditions were estimated. The results of soil pH distributions for DDW-20 V and DDW-100 mA cases after the electrokinetic remediation tests were observed. In the former case, soil pH was not much changed and kept to almost constant value just little higher than initial soil pH of 3.52, except near the cathode, which was about pH 5. While in the latter case, soil pHs of anode and the cathode regions were less than pH 3 and about 6, respectively. The electroosmotic flow to the cathode increased rapidly till 10 hrs and decreased steadily and then maintained to constant rate until the end of operation at constant current condition. Electric potential gradient was continuously increased to as much as 34.375 V/cm. At the steady state, values of the apparent electric conductivity for DDW-20 V and DDW-100 mA were around 40
Electrokinetics;Electric current;Electric potential;Electroosmosis;Mine tailings;Heavy metal
- Zelina, J. P and J. F. Rusling, 1998, Electrochemical remediation of soils. in Environmental Analysis and Remediation, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 1567-1583pp.
- Jeong, H. I., 1996, Removal of heavy metals from contaminated ground by electrokinetic remediation, Ph. D. Dissertation of the In-Ha University, 3-4pp.
- Jeong, B. M., 1999, Electrokinetic technique application to kaolinite contaminated by heavy metal, Master Thesis of the Chung-ang University, 39-114pp.
- Han, S. J., 2000, Characteristics of electro-osmosis and heavy metal migration in contminated soil by electrokinetic technique, Ph. D. Dissertation of the Chung-ang University, 75pp.
- Rodsand, T. and Y. B. Acar, 1995, Electrokinetic extraction of lead from spiked Norwegian marine clay, 2000 Environment and Geotechnical special Publication, 2-2(46), 1518-1534.
- Pamukcu, S. and J. K. Wittle, 1992, Electrokinetic removal of selected heavy metals from soil., Environmental Progress, 11(3), 241-250. https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.670110321
- Shapiro, A. P. and R. F. Probstein, 1993, Removal of contaminants from saturated clay by electro-osmosis, Environ. Sci. Technol., 27(2), 283-291. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00039a007
- Delfino, J. J. and R. E. Enderson, 1978, Comparative study outlines methods of analysis of total metal in sludge, Water & Sewage works, 125(RN), R32-R48.
- Acar, Y. B., A. N. Alshawabkeh and R. A. Parker, 1997, Theoretical and experimental modeling of multi-species transport in soils under electric fields, EPA/600/R-97/054.
- Acar, Y. B., R. J. Gale, G. Putnam and J. Hamed, 1989, Electrochemical processing of soils: Its potential use in environmental geotechnology and significance of pH gradients, 2nd International symposium on environmental geotechnology; Shanghai, China, Envo Publishing, Bethlehem, PA, 1, 25-38.
- Acar, Y. B., R. J. Gale, J. Hamed and G. Putnam, 1990, Electrochemical processing of soils: Theory of pH gradient development by diffusion and linear convection, J. of environmental science and health, part(a), Environ. Sci. and Eng., 25(6), 687-714. https://doi.org/10.1080/10934529009375590
- Hamed, J., Y. B. Acar and R. J. Gale, 1991, Pb(II) removal from kaolinite by electrokinetics, J. of Geotech. Eng., ASCE, 117(2), 240-271.
- Alshawabkeh, A. N. and Y. B. Acar, 1996, Electrokinetic remediation. II: Theoretical model, J. of Geotech. Eng., 122(3), 286-196. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1996)122:3(186)
- Acar, Y. B. and A. N. A. Ishawabkeh, 1993, Principles of electrokinetic remediation, J. of Environ. Sci. Technol., 27(13), 2638-2647. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00049a002
- Acar, Y. B. and A. N. Alshawabkeh, 1996, Electrokinetic remediation. I: Pilot-Scale tests with lead-spiked kaolinite, J. of Geotech. Eng., 122(3), 173-185. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1996)122:3(173)
- Acar, Y. B., R. J. Gale, A. N. Alshawabkeh, R. E. Marks, S. Puppala, M. Bricka and R. Parker, 1995, Electrokinetic remediation; Basics and technology status, J. of Hazardous Material, 40, 117-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3894(94)00066-P
- Acar, Y. B. and A. N. Alshawabkeh, 1993, Principles of electrokinetic remediation., J. of Environ. Sci. Technol., 27(13), 2638-2647. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00049a002
- Sparks, D. L., 1989, Kinetics of soil chemical processes, Academic press, Inc., New York, NY, 119-122pp.
- Sparks, D. L., 1995 Environmental soil chemistry, Academic Press, New York, NY, 130-131pp.