- Volume 28 Issue 3
In this paper, the torque of CNC spindle motor during machining is estimated without speed measuring sensor. The CNC spindle system is divided into two parts, the induction spindle motor part and mechanical part. In mechanical part, the variation of the frictional force due to the increment of the cutting torque and the effect of damping coefficient is investigated. Damping coefficient is found to be a function of spindle speed and not influenced by the weight of the load, while frictional force is a function of both the cutting torque and spindle speed. Experimental equations are drawn for damping coefficient and Coulomb friction as a function of spindle speed. Incremental frictional torque Is also obtained as a function of both cutting torque and spindle speed. Graphical programming is used to implement the suggested algorithm to monitor the torque of an induction motor in real time. Torque of the spindle induction motor is estimated well in about average 3% error range under various cutting conditions.
CNC Lathe;Torque Monitoring;Coulumb Friction;Increment of Frictional Force
- Lee,I.H. and Kwon,W.T., 2001, 'Development Of Torque Monitoring System Of Induction Spindle Motor Using Gprogram LabVIEW,' Jour. of KSPE, Vol. 18, No. 10, pp. 184-193.
- National Instrument, 2000, 'Data Acquisition Basics Manual, Function Reference,' NI.
- Gwak, D.Y., 2002, 'LabVIEW Control And Monitoring Solution In Basis Of Computer,' Ohm Company.
- Mannan,M.A., Broms,S., et al., 1989, ' Monitoring and Adaptive Control of Cutting Process by means of Motor Power and Current Measurement,' Annals of CIRP, Vol. 38, pp. 347-350. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)62720-6
- Park,J.W. and Kwon W.T., 2002, 'Speed Sensorless Torque Monitoring of Induction Spindle Motor using Graphic Programming,' Jour. of KSPE, Vol. 19, No.10
- Lee, I.H. Kwon,W.T., 2001, 'The Torque Monitoring System using Current and Speed Measurement,' Jour. of KSPE, Spring Conference, pp. 125-131.
- Huh,K., Lee K. and Kim J., 1999, 'Development of a Cutting Force Monitoring System for a CNC Lathe,' Jour. of KSPE, Vol. 16, No. 1.
- Stein,J.L., Colvin,D., Clever,G., Wang,C.H., 1986, 'Evaluation of DC Servo Machine Tool Feed Drives as Force Sensors,' ASME J. of Dynamic Sys. Meas. and Cont., Vol. 108, 279-288. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3143795
- Choi,Y.J., 1997, 'A Study Cutting Force Estimation using Spindle Motor Power Measurement, Seoul National Univ., Dept. Of Mech. Design, M.D.Thesis
- Park,J.J. and Luca,S., 1994, 'Cutting Torque Estimation using Spindle Power Measurement,' Trans. of NAMRI/SME, Vol. 24, pp. 85-90.
- Lee,K., Jung, J., Kim,J., Huh,K., Kim, J., 1998, Development of a Cutting Force Monitoring System for a CNC Lathe,' Jour. of the KSPE, Spring Conference, pp. 440-444.