- Volume 28 Issue 3
The stability of a simply supported straight pipe is investigated. The time dependent flow is assumed to vary harmonically about a constant mean velocity. Stability conditions and dynamic reponses of a governing equation are conducted by use of multiple scale mettled. Parametric resonances and combination resonances are investigated. Stability boundaries are analytically determined. The resulted stability conditions show that instabilities exist when the frequency of flow fluctuation is close to two times the natural frequency or to the sum of any two natural frequencies. In case that the fluctuated flow frequency is close to zero or to the difference of two natural frequencies, however, instabilities are not found up to the first order of perturbation. Stability charts are numerically Presented fir the first two vibration modes.
Stability;Pipe;Flow Induced Vibration;Multiple Scale Method
- Pak, C. H., Hong, S. C. and Kim, T. R., 1991, 'Out-of-Plane Vibrations of Angled Pipes Conveying Fluid,' Journal of the Korean Nuclear Society, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 306-315.
- Hong, S. C., 2000, 'Chaotic Out-of-Plane Vibration of Curved Pipe Conveying Oscillatory Flow,' Journal of KSNVE, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 849-858.
- Lee, S. I. and Chung, J., 2002, 'Nonlinear Vibration Characteristics of a Curved Pipe with Fixed Ends and Steady Internal Flow, Trans. of the KSME, A, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 61-6.
- Park, C. H., Hong, S. C., and Kim T. J., 1997, 'Chaotic Vibration of a Curved Pipe Conveying Oscillatory Flow,' Journal of KSNVE, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 489-498.
- Paidoussis, M. P. and Sundarajan C., 1975, 'Parametric and Combination Resonances of a Pipe Conveying Pulsating Fluid,' Trans. of ASME, Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 42, pp. 780-784. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3423705
- Nayfeh, A. H. and Mook, D. T., 1979, Nonlinear Oscillations, New York: Wiley
- Pak, C. H., Hong, S. C. and Jung, W., 1996, 'Chaotic Vibration of a Straight Pipe Conveying Oscillatory Flow,' Journal of KSNVE, Vol. 7. No. 3, pp. 489-498.
- Lee, U., Pak, C. H., Hong, S. C., 1995, 'Dynamic of Piping System with Internal Unsteady Flow,' Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 180, No. 2, pp. 297-311. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1995.0080
- Pak, C. H., Lee, U., Hong, S. C., and Kim, T. R., 1991, ' Stability Analysis of Piping System Conveying Unsteady Flow,' Trans. of KSME, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 1512-1521.
- Lee, U., Pak, C. H. and Hong, S. C., 1991, 'Dynamic Stability and Response Analysis of Piping System with internal Flow,' Trans. of the KSME, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 1861-1991.
- Chen, S. S., 1971, 'Dynamic Stability of a Tube Conveying Fluid,' Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division, Proc. of ASCE, Vol. 97, pp. 1469-1485.
- Paidousiss, M. P., Issid, N. T., 'Dynamic Stability of Pipes Conveying Fluid,' Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 33, No. 3, 1974, pp.267-294. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-460X(74)80002-7
- Benjamin, T. B., 1961, 'Dynamics of a Articulated Pipes Containing Fluid, Part Ⅰ and Ⅱ,' Proc. of Royal Society, Ser. A261, pp. 475-486.
- Pardoussis, M.P., 1966, Dynamics of Flexible Slender Cylinders in Axial Flow, Part Ⅰ and Ⅱ,' Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 26, pp. 717-751 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112066001484
- Housner, G.W. 1952, 'Bending Vibrations of a Pipe Line Containing Flowing Fluid,' Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 19, pp. 205-209.