- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Antimicrobial Effect of Ethanol Extracts of Quercus spp. against Foodborne Pathogens
병원성 식중독 미생물에 대한 참나무과 식물 부위별 에탄올 추출물의 항균효과
- 윤재원 (강원대학교 바이오산업공학부) ;
- 유미영 (강원대학교 바이오산업공학) ;
- 박부길 (강원대학교 바이오산업공학) ;
- 이명구 (강원대학교 산림과학대학 제지공학) ;
- 오덕환 (강원대학교 바이오산업공학부)
- Published : 2004.03.01
This study was conducted to determine the antimicrobial effect of leaf, bark and xylem of 6 kinds of Quercus spp. against food borne disease bacteria. All of the samples tested showed the antimicrobial effect against food borne disease bacteria. Bacillus cereus, Listeria monocytogenes, and Staphylococcus aureus was more sensitive than gram negative bacteria such as Salmonella typhimurium and Escerichia coli O157:H7, but no antimicrobial activity was observed against yeast and molds. Based on antimicrobial activity for kinds of Quercus spp., the antimicrobial activities of Quercus aliena Blume, Quercus mongolica Fisch, and Quercus dentata Thunb were stronger than those of Quercus variebilis Blume, Quercus serrata Thunb, and Quercus acutissima Carruth. In the meantime, the ethanol extract of Quercus spp. leaves showed the strongest antimicrobial activity compared to that of bark and xylem. Especially, the ethanol extract of Quercus aliena Blume leaf showed the strongest antimicrobial effect against foodborne disease bacteria among 6 kinds of Quercus spp.
- Todd ECD. 1989. Preliminary estimates of costs of foodborne disease in the United States. J Food Prot 1: 595-601.
- Scott VN. 1988. Safety considerations for new generation refrigerated foods. Dairy Food Environ Sanitation 1: 5-10.
- Frank JF. 1990. Control of L. monocytogenes in food processing environments. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 19: 491-493.
- Brane AL. 1975. Toxicological and biochemistry of butylateed hydroxyanusole and butylated hydroxytoluene. JAOCS 52: 59-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02901825
- Beuchat LR, David AG. 1989. Antimicrobials occurring naturally in foods. J Food Technology 43: 134-142.
- Maria BZ, Lamar SR, Jose SM, Minam LS, Amaldo RL. 1984. Volatile sulfides of the amazonian garlic bush. J Agric Food chem 32: 1009-1010. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00125a014
- Jamal NB, Ibrahim AW. 1994. Citric acid and antimicrobial affect microbiological stability and quality of tomato juice. J Food Sci 59: 130-134. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1994.tb06916.x
- Fleming HP, Walter WM, Etchells JL. 1969. Isolation of a bacterial inhibitor from green olives. Appl Microbiol 18: 856-860.
- Kang HY. 1994. The biochemical role of tree extractives. Mokchae Konghak 22: 5-11.
- Yoon JH. 1994. Introduction of Forestry. 1st ed. Kangwon National University Academic Press Inc, Chunchon. p 29.
- Kim TU. 1996. The forest of Korea. 1st ed. Kyohak Press Inc, Seoul. p 20.
- Lee BW, Shin DH. 1991. Antimicrobial effect of some plant extracts and their fractionates for food spoilage microorganisms. Korean J Food Sci Technol 23: 205-211.
- Ohara S, Hemingway RW. 1989. The phenolic extractines in southern red oak (Quercus falcata Michx. var. falcata) bark. Holz fors Chung 43: 149-154.
- Mallea M, Pesando D, Bernard P, Khoulalene B. 1991. Comparison between antifungal and antibacterial activities of several strains of Epicoccum purpurascens form Mediterranean area. Mycopathologia 115: 83-88. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00436796
- Kong YJ, Hong TP, Kwon HJ, Hong JK, Park BK, Oh DH. 2001. Antimicrobial activities of Quercus mongolia spp. leaf ethanol extract against foodborne disease microorganisms. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 415-420.
- Kong YJ, Kang GS, Lee MK, Park BK, Oh DH. 2001. Antimicrobial and antioxidative activities of solvent fractions of Quercus mongolia leaf. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 338-343.
- Lee BW, Shin DH. 1991. Screen of natural antimicrobial plant extracts on food spoilage microorganisms. Korean J Food Sci Technol 23: 200-204.
- Kim SJ, Park SJ. 1996. Antimicrobial substance in leek (Allium tuberosum). Korean J Food Sci 28: 604-608.
- Kong YJ, Oh DH. 2001. Effect of ethanol extract of Quercus mongolia leaf as natural food preservative. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 243-249.
- Antioxidative Effects of Extracts from Different Parts of Epimedium koreanum Nakai vol.45, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.2.188
- Antioxidative and Antimicrobial Activities of Castanopsis cuspidata var. sieboldii Extracts vol.24, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2011.24.2.200