- Volume 33 Issue 3
Despite many therapeutic advances in the understanding of the processes in carcinogenesis, overall mortality statistics are unlikely to change until there is reorientation of the concepts for the use of natural products as new anticarcinogenic agents. In this study, we investigated the anticarcinogenic activity, antioxidant and DPPH scavenging activity of Sargassum fulvellum (SF). SF was extracted with methanol, which was further fractionated into five different types: hexane (SFMH), ethylether (SFMEE), ethyl acetate (SFMEA), butanol (SFMB) and aqueous (SFMA) partition layers. We determined the cytotoxic effect of these layers on human cancer cells by MTT assay. Among various partition layers of SF, at starting concentration of 100
- Stavric B. 1994. Role of chemopreventers in human diet. Clin Biochem 27: 319-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-9120(94)00039-5
- Reddy L, Odhav B, Bhoola KD. 2003. Natural products for cancer prevention: a global perspective. Pharmacology & Therapeutics 99: 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0163-7258(03)00042-1
- Doll R, Peto R. 1981. The cause of cancer. Quantitative estimates of available risks of cancer in the United States today. J Natl Cancer Inst 66: 1192-1308.
- Sharma S, Stutzman JD, Kelloff GJ, Steele VE. 1994. Screening of potential chemopreventive agents using biochemical markers of carcinogenesis. Cancer Res 54: 5848-5855.
- Schwartsmann G, Rocha AB, Berlinck GS, Jimeno J. 2001. Marine organisms as a souce of new anticancer agents. Oncology 2: 221-225. https://doi.org/10.1159/000214620
- Krinsky NI. 1991. Effects of carotenoids in celluar and animal systems. Am J Clin Nutr 53: 238S-246S.
- Dunlap WC, YAmamoto Y. 1995. Small-molecule antioxidants in marine organism: antioxidant activity of mycosporine-glycine. Comp Biochem Physiol 112B: 105-114.
- Ryu BH, Kim DS, Cho KJ, Sin DB. 1989. Antitumor activity of seaweeds toward sarcoma-180. Korean J Food Sci Technol 21: 595-600.
- Park YB, Kim IS, Yoo SJ, Ahn JK, Lee TG, Park DC, Kim SB. 1998. Elucidation of anti-tumor initiator and promoter derived from seaweed-2: investigation of seaweed extracts suppressing mutagenic activity of PhIP and MeIQx. J Korean Fish Soc 31: 581-586.
- Talalay P, Benson AM. 1982. Elvation of quinone reductase activity by anticarcinogenic antioxidants. Advances in Enzyme Regulation 20: 287-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/0065-2571(82)90021-8
- Wefers H, Komai T, Talalay P, Sies H. 1984. Protection against reactive oxygen species by NAD(P)H: quinone reductase induced by the dietary antioxidant butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA). Federation of European Biochemical Societies 169: 63-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-5793(84)80290-2
- Steinkellner HS, Rabot C, Freywald E, Nobis G, Scharf M, Chabicovsky S, Knasmȕller, F. Kassie. 2001. Effects of crucifrous vegetable and their constituents on drug metabolizing enzymes involved in the bioactivation of DNAreactive dietary carcinogens. Mutation Research 481: 285-297.
- Shon H YH, Nam K. 2001. Antimutagenicity and induction of anticarcinogenic phase II enzymes by basidiomycetes. J Ethnopharmacology 77: 103-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(01)00276-8
- Shim SM, Kim MH, Bae SJ. 2001. Cytotoxicity and quinone reductase induced effects of Daucus carota L. leaf extracts on human cancer cell. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 86-91
- Bae SJ. 2002. The effects of anticarcinogenic activity of Solanum uberosum peel fractions. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31: 905-909. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.5.905
- Lee BH, Choi BW, Chun JH, Yu BS. 1996. Extraction of water soluble antioxidants from seaweeds. J Korean Ind Eng Chemistry 7: 1069-1077.
- Ryu BH, Kim DS, Cho KJ, Sin DB. 1989. Antitumor activity of seaweeds toward sarcoma-18. Korean J Food Sci Technol 21: 595-600.
- Koo JG, Jo KS, Do JR, Park JH, Yang CB. 1995. Chemical properties of fucoidans from hizikia fusiformis and Sargassum fulvellum. J Korean Fish Soc 28: 659-666.
- Nishino T, Yokoyama G, Dobashi K, Fujihara M, Nagumo T. 1989. Isolation, purification, and characterization of fucose-containing sulfated polysaccharides from the brown sea, Ecklonia kurome and their blood-anticoagulant activities. Carbohydr Res 186: 119-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-6215(89)84010-8
- Carmichael J, De Graff WG, Gazder AF, Minna JD, Mitchell JB. 1987. Evalution of a tetrazolium based semiautomated colorimetric assay: assessment of chemosensitivity testing. Cancer Res 47: 936-942.
- Prochaska HJ, Santamaria AB. 1988. Direct measurement of NAD(P)H: Quinone reductase from cells cultured in microtiter wells: A screening assay for anticarcinogenic enzyme in ducers. Anal Biochem 169: 328-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(88)90292-8
- Park HJ. 1998. Induction of quinone reductase and its regulatory mechanism at the transcriptional level by Scutellaria baicalensis. PhD Dissertation. Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Jung MJ, Chung HY, Kang SS, Choi JH, Bae KS, Choi JS. 2003. Antioxidant activity from the stem bark of Albizzia julibrissin. Arch Pharm Res 26: 458-462. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02976862
- Shim SM, Choi SW, Bae SJ. 2001. Effets of Punica granatum L. Fraction on quinone reductase induction and growth inhibition on several cancer cells. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 80-85.
- Park JH, Kang KC, Baek SB, Lee YH, Rhee KS. 1991. Separation of antioxidant compounds from edible marine algae. Korean J Food Sci Technol 23: 256-261.
- Ramos A, Visozo A, Piloto J, Garcia A, Rodriguez CA, Rivero R. 2003. Screening of antimutagenicity via antioxidnat activity in Cuban medicinal plants. J Ethnopharmacology 87: 241-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(03)00156-9
- Inhibitory Effect of Sargauum fulvellum Ethanolic Extract on LPS-Induced Inflammatory Reaction in RAW 264.7 Mouse Macrophages vol.56, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2013.040
- Anti-inflammatory Activity of the Water Extract of Sargassum fulvellum vol.27, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7841/ksbbj.2012.27.6.325
- α-Glucosidase Inhibitory Effects for Solvent Fractions from Methanol Extracts of Sargassum fulvellum and Its Antioxidant and Alcohol-Metabolizing Activities vol.22, pp.10, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.10.1420
- Anti-inflammatory Effect of Ethanol Extract from Sargassum fulvellum on Lipopolysaccharide Induced Inflammatory Responses in RAW 264.7 Cells and Mice Ears vol.43, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.8.1158
- Synergistic Antimicrobial Effect of Sargassum serratifolium (C. Agardh) C. Agardh Extract against Human Skin Pathogens vol.48, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2016.48.3.241
- Effect of Hizikia fusiforme Extracts on Antioxidant Enzyme Activity and Vitamin E Concentration in Rats vol.40, pp.11, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.11.1556
- The effect ofSargassum confusumon reduction of body fat in obese women vol.47, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2014.47.1.23
- Comparison Study of Immunomodulatory Activity of Polysaccharide and Ethanol Extracted from Sargassum fulvellum vol.44, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.11.1621