- Volume 33 Issue 3
This study was investigated the antimicrobial activity of clove extracts according to extraction solvents. The extracts were tested for their antimicrobial activity against several food spoilage microorganisms including Bacillus subtilis, Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Salmonella typhimurium and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. The methanol extract showed stronger antimicrobial activities than water extract. However, petroleum ether extract did not show antimicrobial activity. The water extract of clove showed growth inhibition effect against Escherichia coli, Salmonella typhimurium and Staphylococcus aureus, whereas no effect against Bacillus subtilis. The methanol extract of clove extracts showed more sensitive antimicrobial activity in Gram (+) bacteria than in Gram (-) bacteria. The antimicrobial activities were increased with increasing concentration of the clove extract.
- Park SK, Park JC. 1994. Antimicrobial activity of extracts and coumaric acid isolated from Artemisia princeps var. orientalis. Korean J Biotechnol Bioeng 9: 506-511.
- Kim YS, Kim MN, Kim JO, Lee JH. 1994. The effect of hot water-extract and flavor compounds of mugwort on microbial growth. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 23: 994-1000.
- Han JS, Shin DH. 1994. Antimicrobial effect of each solvent fraction of morus alba linne, sopora flavescens alton on Listeria monocytogenes. Korean J Food Sci Technol 26: 539-544.
- Park UY, Chang DS, Cho HR. 1992. Antimicrovial effect of lithospermi radix (Lithosperum erythrorhizon) extract. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 21: 97-100.
- Park UY, Chang DS, Cho HR. 1992. Screening of antimicrobial activity for medicinal herb extracts. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 21: 91-96.
- Lee HY, Kim CK, Sung TK, Mun TK, Lim CJ. 1992. Antibacterial activity of Ulmus pimila l. extract. Kor J Microbiol Biotechnol 20: 1-5.
- Hitokoto H, Morzumi S, Wauke T, Sakai S, Kurata H. 1980. Ingibitory efects of spices on growth and toxin production of toxigenic fungi. Appl Environ Microbiol 4: 818-826.
- Karapinar M, Aktug SE. 1987. Inhibition of food-borne pathogens by thymol, eugenol, menthol and anethole. Inter J Food Microbiol 4: 161-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1605(87)90023-7
- Kurita N, Miyaji M, Kurane R, Takahara Y. 1981. Antifungal activity of components of essential oils. Agric Biol Chem 45: 945-955. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.45.945
- Farrell KT. 1985. Spices, condiments, and seasonings. Van Noostrand Reinhold Co, New York. p 86-91.
- Park CS. 1998. Antibacterial acitivity of edible plant against pathogenic bacteria. Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 5: 89-96.
- Ueda S, Yamashita H, Kuwabara Y. 1982. Inhibition of Clostridium botulinum and bacillus sp. by spices and flavouring compounds. Nippon Shokuhin Kogyo Gakkaishi 29: 389-397. https://doi.org/10.3136/nskkk1962.29.7_389
- Farag RS, Daw SY, Heweid FM, El-Baroty GSA. 1989. Antimicrobial activity of some egyptian spice essential oils. J Food Prot 52: 665-672.
- Farag RS, Daw ZY, Abo-Raya SH. 1989. Influence of some essential oils on Aspegillus parasiticus growth and production of aflatioxins in a synthetic medium. J Food Sci 54: 74-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1989.tb08571.x
- Chung CK, Park OK, Yoo IJ, Park KM, Choi CU. 1990. Antimicrobial activity of essential oils of curry spices. Korean J Food Sci Technol 22: 716-719.
- Park CS, Choi MA. 1997. Effect of clove (Eugenia caryphyllata Thumb) on the survival of Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella typhimurium during cold storage. Korean J Food Sci Technol 13: 602-608.
- Lee JI, Lee HS, Jun WJ, Yu KW, Shin DH, Hong BS, Cho HY, Yang HC. 2000. Physiological characteristics of anticoagulation fraction from Eugenia caryophyllata. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 29: 712-718.
- Park CS. 1998. Inhibition of Escherichia coli O157:H7 by clove. Korean J Soc Food Sci Nutr 14: 9-15.
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Association of official analytical chemists, Washington DC. USA.
- Kim MS, Lee DC, Hong JE, Chang KS, Cho HY, Kwon YK, Kim HY. 2000. Antimicrobial effects of ethanol extracts from Korean and Indonesian plants. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 949-958.
- Jung SH, Chung MS, Lee JS, Park KM. 2002. Antimutagenic effects of extracts of curry powder and its individual spice. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 22: 352-357.
- Baek JW, Chung SH, Moon GS. 2002. Antimicrobial activities of ethanol extracts from Korean bamboo culms and leaves. Korean J Food Sci Technol 6: 1073-1078.
- Antimicrobial Activities of Ethanol Extracts ofRhus javanicaandTerminalia chebulaAgainstShigellaSpecies vol.34, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfs.12102
- Antimicrobial effect ofPrunus mumeextracts against cariogenic bacteria vol.41, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2017.41.1.65
- Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of Extracts from Eugenia caryophyllata Thunb. vol.31, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2016.31.5.481
- Microbial Growth Characteristics on Foods Containing Collagen vol.28, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.13103/JFHS.2013.28.3.241
- Antioxidant and Antiobesity Activities of Various Color Resources Extracted from Natural Plants vol.44, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.2.165
- Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of Eugenol and Its Derivatives from Clove (Eugenia caryophyllata Thunb.) vol.40, pp.10, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.10.1361
- The Effects of Syzygium aromaticum extract Spread on the Allergic Contact Dermatitis induced by DNCB vol.26, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2013.26.4.001
- A Study on the Restoration Methods of the Excavated Costume: Focus on Excavated Costumes of Yeosan Song's Family at Mokdal-dong in Daejeon vol.29, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12654/JCS.2013.29.2.07
- The Effects of Pharmacopuncture(Eugenia caryophyllata THUNB.) on the High Fat Diet-induced Obese ICR Mice vol.30, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2013007
- Physiological activities of natural color powders and their mixtures vol.23, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2016.23.1.80
- Antimicrobial Activity of Myagropsis yendoi Extract vol.43, pp.6, 2010, https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2010.43.6.642