- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Single Cells of Carrot and Radish on the Fecal Excretion Properties, Mineral Absorption Rate and Structure of Small Intestine and Colon in Rats
당근과 무의 단세포물 섭취가 흰쥐의 배변특성, 무기질 흡수율 및 소장과 대장의 구조에 미치는 영향
- Published : 2004.03.01
The effects of single cells of carrot or radish on the fecal excretion, mineral absorption rate and structure of small intestine and colon were investigated in rats fed 5% single cell diet for 4 weeks. Carrot contained 28.76% of total dietary fiber and 21.45% of insoluble dietary fiber, and radish contained 23.14% of total dietary fiber and 16.77% of insoluble dietary fiber on a dry weight basis. Total dietary fiber contents of the single cell were 44.68% for carrot, 48.0% for radish. Absorption rates of magnesium were higher in the carrot and radish single cell groups than the other groups. Cellulose significantly increased fecal weight and weight of small intestine. The consumption of cellulose and single cells decreased digestibility of lipid. The length of colon were longer in the carrot and the radish group than the other groups. Scanning electron microscopy studies showed that small intestine microvilli with leaf-shaped were seen in cellulose and single cell fed groups. These results suggest that the diet containing 5% single cells of carrot or radish increases the digestibility of dietary fiber, weight gain, and fecal output and shorten the gastrointestinal transit time.
- Lee HS. 1997. Dietary fiber intake of Korean. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 540-548.
- Nakamura T, Hours RA, Sakai T. 1995. Enzymatic maceration of vegetables with protopectinases. J Food Sci 60: 468-472. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1995.tb09805.x
- McDougall GJ, Morrison IM, Hillman JR. 1996. Plant cell walls dietary fibre: range, structure, processing and function. J Sci Food Agric 70: 133-150. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199602)70:2<133::AID-JSFA495>3.0.CO;2-4
- Plaami SP. 1997. Content of dietary fiber in foods and its physiological effects. Food Rev Int 13: 29-76. https://doi.org/10.1080/87559129709541097
- Kim MK, Paek JE. 1997. Effect of dietary fibers in rice and barley on lipid and cadmium metabolism in the rat. Korean J Nutr 30: 252-265.
- Kim MK, Chung HS. 1997. Effect of dietary fibers isolated from tangerine peels on lipid and cadmium metabolism in the rat. Korean J Nutr 30: 229-243.
- Chang YK, Youn HJ. 1984. The effect of dietary fat levels and sources of dietary fiber on serum and liver lipids of rats. Korean J Nutr 17: 253-261.
- Yang JL, Suh MJ, Song YS. 1996. Effects of dietary fibers on cholesterol metabolism in cholesterol-fed rats. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 25: 392-398.
- Song YS, Yang JL, Suh MJ. 1996. Effect of sodium alginate and cellulose on gastrointestinal physiology in rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 25: 551-559.
- Lee SC, Ko BS, Lee DH, Hwang YI. 1997. Cell separation of vegetable tissues by protopectinase. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 430-435.
- Sakho M, Chassagne D, Jaus A, Chiarazzo E, Crouzet J. 1998. Enzymatic maceration: effect on volatile components of mango pulp. J Food Sci 63: 975-978. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1998.tb15836.x
- Park YK, Kang YH. 2000. Enzymatic maceration of vegetables with cell separating enzymes. Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 7: 184-188.
- Gordon DT. 1989. Functional properties vs physiological action of total dietary fiber. Cereal Foods World 34: 517-525.
- Effect of Rice Bran Dietary Fiber Level on Serum Lipid Concentration, Bowel Function, and Mineral Absorption in Rats vol.24, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2011.24.4.622
- Effect of Carrot Powder on Anti-Oxidative and Quality Characteristics of Perilla-Dasik vol.44, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.12.1832
- Effect of Diets with Red Yeast Sweet Potato Powder Supplement on Fecal Amount and Lipid Metabolism in Rats Fed a High-fat Diet vol.41, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.4.487
- Effects of Korean Traditional Cheonggukjang Added with Job's Tears on Body Weight Gains and Lipid Metabolism in Rats Fed High-Fat Diet vol.40, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.3.409