- Volume 33 Issue 3
The purpose of this study was to investigate using of diet therapy materials and the compliance of diet therapy by distribution of body weight in diabetic patients. The percentage of diabetic patients who was distributed by BMI was 18.5% in under weight group, 51.5% in normal weight group, 16.9% in over weight group and 13.1% in obesity group. Of 130 diabetic patients, 62.3% experienced weight loss after the diagnosis. 35.4% of the diabetic patients had ever been in the hospital. 38.5% of the diabetic patients had prevalence of the complications. Knowledge for diet therapy showed low score in over weight and obesity group, specially in the items on the amount of food that I have to consume or the method selecting foods using the food exchange list. Diet therapy practice was also lower in obesity group than the other groups. Most of diabetic patients thought the diet therapy was important and got diet therapy materials through dietitian or doctor. But using of diet therapy materials was 50.0% in under weight group, 41.8% in normal weight group. 22.7% in over weight group and 35.3% in obesity group. Food exchange list was diet therapy item considered as the most difficult for diabetic patients to understand. Diet therapy items considered as the most necessary by diabetic patients were to be attended to choose foods and how to make out menu. This study showed that the diabetic patients were different in using of diet therapy materials or diet therapy practice by distribution of body weight. Therefore it is suggested that the program composed of necessary contents by body weight distribution of diabetic patients need to be developed.
- Wang KS, Lee SB, Lee HS, Jeon JS, Min KW, Han KA, Kim EJ. 1999. Clinical characteristics of diabetic patients controlled by diet and exercise. Diabetes 23: 98-105.
- Son HS, Song KH, Han JH, Lee JM, Youn KH, Kang MI, Cha BY, Lee KW, Son HY, Kang SG. 1994. The prevalence of diabetes mellitus and its relation to body mass index in Korean subjects. Diabetes Suppl 1: 07A0990037.
- Yoon KH. 1999. Clinical characteristics of diabetes mellitus in Korea. Food Industry and Nutrition 4: 73-82.
- Hong YS, Kim HJ, Sung YA, Kyung NH. 1997. A study on the patterns of clinical characteristics according to body weight and weight changes in Korean. NIDDM patients. Diabetes 21: 65-72.
- Choi MJ. 1993. Relation of body fat distribution to calorie intake, blood glucose and exercise in female diabetics. Korean J Nutr 26: 164-173.
- Ye HS, Jun JD, Park HS. 1996. Knowledge & practice about diet & exercise in NIDDM patients. J Korean Acad Fam Med 17: 223-231.
- The Korean Dietetic Association. 2000. Guide to diet therapy for Korean.
- Nuttall FQ. 1983. Diet and the diabetic patient. Diabetes Care 6: 197-207. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.6.2.197
- Cho KO, Sung CJ. 1998. The effect of food habits and knowledge and perception of diet therapy for NIDDM patients commuting to a local health center received group nutrition education. Korean J Commu Nutr 3: 789-799.
- The Asia-Pacific perspective. Redefining obesity and its treatment. 2000. World health organization western pacific region. International association for the study of obesity. International obesity task force. p 10.
- Choi JO. 1995. Knowledge, compliance and obstacles with diet therapy of the patients with diabetes melllitus. MS Thesis. Kyungpook National University. p 20-29.
- Park SY, Kim HR. 1994. A study on dietary compliance and related variables in non insulin dependent diabetes mellitus patients. Korean J Nutr 27: 356-367.
- Kang HK. 1995. Effectiveness of social worker's intervention on diabetes mellitus patients' self-care behavior. MS Thesis. Yonsei University. p 19-65.
- Yoon JS, Lee JH, Lee HJ, Lee IK. 2002. Assessment of the dietary adequacy of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. Korean J Nutr 35: 531-543.
- Kim KH. 1999. Knowledge, belief and practice on diet therapy for diabetics. MS Thesis. Inje University. p 10-30.
- The Korean Dietetic Association. 1995. Guide to nutritional counselling. p 55-61.
- Eum YL. 1999. Diet therapy of diabetes. J Korean Diabetes Assoc 7: 63-66.
- Asian Medical Center, Nutrition Dept. 1995. Handbook of clinical nutrition. Asian Medical Center, Seoul.
- The American Dietetic Association. 1996. Medical nutrition across the continuum of care: patient protocols.
- Smart Phone based Personalized Menu Management System for Diabetes Patient vol.10, pp.12, 2010, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.12.001
- Review of Food Therapy and Development of Diet Therapy Program for Diabetes Mellitus in 「Sikryochanyo」 vol.28, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2013.28.6.562