- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Isolation of a Bacteriocin - Producing Lactobacillus sakei Strain from Kimchi
김치에서 박테리오신을 분비하는 Lactobacillus sakei균주의 분리
- 김한택 (경상대학교 대학원 응용생명과학부 농업생명과학연구소) ;
- 박재용 (경상대학교 대학원 응용생명과학부 농업생명과학연구) ;
- 이강권 (삼성 에버랜드(주) 식품연구) ;
- 김정환 (경상대학교 대학원 응용생명과학부 농업생명과학연구소)
- Published : 2004.03.01
Bacteriocin producing lactic acid bacteria (LAB) were isolated from Kimchi by using spot-on-the-lawn method. Listeria monocytogenes, Staphylococcus aureus, and Lactobacillus plantarum were used as indicators. One isolate (P3-l) produced a bacteriocin efficiently inhibiting the growth of Listeria monocytogenes. 16S rDNA sequence and sugar utilization test identified that P3-1 was a Lactobacillus sakei strain. Accordingly, the isolate was named as Lactobacillus sakei P3-1. L. sakei P3-1 produced a bacteriocin which efficiently inhibited the growth of Listeria monocytogenes but did not inhibit other Gram positive and negative organisms tested. The bacteriocin was stable against heat, organic solvent, and pH variation and it retained 50% of activity after 10 min heat treatment at 10
- Klaenhammer TR. 1988. Bacteriocin of lactic acid bacteria. Biochimie 70: 337-349. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-9084(88)90206-4
- Oh SJ, Lee JH, Kim GT, Shin JG, Baek YJ. 2003. Anticarcinogenic activity of a bacteriocin produced by Lactococcus sp. HY 449. Food Sci Biotechnol 12: 9-12.
- Choi YO, Ahn C. 1997. Plasmid-associated bacteriocin production by Leuconostoc sp. LAB145-3A isolated from Kimchi. J Ind Microbiol 2: 319-322. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01569434
- Stiles ME. 1996. Biopreservation by lactic acid bacteria. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 70: 331-345. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00395940
- Bredholt S, Nesbakken T, Holck A. 2001. Industrial application of an antilisterial strain of Lactobacillus sakei as a protective culture and its effect on the sensory acceptability of cooked, sliced, vacuum-packaged meats. Int J Food Microbiol 66: 191-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(00)00519-5
- Goff JH, Bhumia AK, Johnsom MG. 1996. Complete inhibition of low levels of Listera monocytogenes of refrigerated chicken meat with pediocin AcH bound to heat killed Pediococcus acidilactici cell. J Food Prot 59: 1187-1192.
- Foegeding PM, Thomas AB, Pilkington DH, Klaenhammer TR. 1992. Enhance control of Listeria monocytogenes by in situ produced pediocin during dry fermented sausage production. Appl Environ Microbiol 58: 884-890
- Hugas M, Page F, Garriga M, Monfort JM. 1994. Application of the bacteriocinogenic Lactobacillus sakei CTC494 to prevent growth of Listeria in fresh and cooked meat products packed with different atmospheres. Food Microbiol 15: 143-149.
- Daeschel M. 1992. Procedures to detect antimicrobial activities of microorganism. In Food biopreservatives of microbial origin. CRC Press, Boca Raton. p 57.
- Moon GS, Jeong JJ, Ji GE, Kim JS, Kim JH. 2000. Characterization of a bacteriocin produced by Enterococcus sp. T7 isolated from humans. J Microbiol Biotechnol 10: 507-513.
- Lee KH, Moon GS, An JY, Lee HJ, Chang HC, Chung DK, Lee JH, Kim JH. 2002. Isolation of a nisin-producing Lactococcus lactis strain from Kimchi and characterization of its nisZ gene. J Microbiol Biotechnol 12: 389-397.
- Holt JG, Krieg NR, Sneath PH, AStaley JT, Williams ST. 1994. Bergeys Manual of Determinative Bacteriology. 9th ed. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, USA
- Escalante A, Wacher C, Farres A. 2001. Lactic acid bacterial diversity in the traditional Mexican fermented dough pozol as determined by 16S rDNA sequence analysis. Int J Food Microbiol 64: 21-31 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(00)00428-1
- Marianne U, Havard HH, Ilia B, Jon NM, Gunnar F. 2002. Rapid two-step procedure for large-scale purification of pediocin-like bacteriocins and other cationic actimicroial peptides from complex culture medium. Appl Environ Microbiol 68: 952-956. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.68.2.952-956.2002
- Ivvanova I, Miteva V, Stefanova T, Pantev A, Budakov I, Danova S, Moncheva P, Nikolova I, Dousset X, Boyaval P. 1998. Characterization of a bacteriocin produced by Streptococcus thermophilus 81. Int J Food Microbiol 42: 147-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(98)00067-1
- Laemmli UK. 1970. Cleavage of structural protein during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680-685. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
- Bhunia AK, Johnson MC, Ray B. 1987. Direct detection of an antimicrobial peptide of Pediococcus acidilactici in sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. J Ind Microbiol 2: 319-322. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01569434
- Kim SY, Lee YM, Lee SY, Lee YS, Kim JH, Ahn C, Kang BC, Ji GE. 2001. Synergistic effect of citric acid and pediocin K1, a bacteriocin produced by Pediococcus sp. K1, on inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes. J Microbiol Biotechnol 11: 831-837.
- Kim HT, Park JY, Lee GG, Kim JH. 2003. Isolation of a bacteriocin-producing Lactobacillus plantarum strain from Kimchi. Food Sci Biotechnol 12: 166-170.
- Klaenhammer TR. 1993. Genetics of bacteriocin produced by lactic acid bacteria. FEMS Microbiol Rev 34: 145-156.
- Kimchi microflora: history, current status, and perspectives for industrial kimchi production vol.98, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-014-5513-1
- Antibacterial activity of supernatant obtained from Weissella koreensis and Lactobacillus sakei on the growth of pathogenic bacteria vol.43, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160044
- Isolation and identification of soycurd forming lactic acid bacteria which produce GABA from kimchi vol.20, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.5.705