- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Calcium Acetate Prepared with Vinegars and Ash of Black Snail
식초와 다슬기회분을 이용하여 제조한 초산칼슘의 품질 특성
- Published : 2004.03.01
This study was conducted to investigate the quality characteristics of liquid calcium acetate (LCAs) and solid calcium acetate (SCAs), Br-LCA, Pe-LCA and Ap-LCA as liquid form, Br-SCA, Pe-SCA and Ap-SCA as solid form. Calcium acetate was prepared by reacting of vinegars [brown rice (Br), persimmons (Pe) and apple (Ap)] and ash of black snail in order to obtain natural water soluble calcium resources. The pHs of the vinegars for preparing calcium acetate (CA) were the range of 2.34 ∼ 3.06, and the contents of the ash of black snail which reacted to 100 mL of the vinegars were 20.43∼23.50 g. The yields of solid CAs from 100 mL of the vinegars were 11.02∼13.01 g. The colors of liquid and solid CAs were light yellow in Ap-LCA and Ap-SCA, brown in Br-LCA and Br-SCA, dark brown in Pe-LCA and Pe-SCA. Calcium contents of Br-LCA, Pe-LCA and Ap-LCA were 3.02, 2.06 and 2.30% (w/v), and those of Br-SCA, Pe-SCA and Ap-SCA were 27.15, 16.31 and 19.48% (w/w), respectively. The solubilities of the solid CAs were 36.82 ∼ 39.92% (w/v) in distilled water, 32.05 ∼ 39.04% (w/v) in Soju, 13.12 ∼ 18.65% (w/v) in thick soysauce, 38.35 ∼ 38.90% (w/v) in ionic beverage, 33.47 ∼ 35.58% (w/v) in yoghurt, while the solid CAs formed the curds in soymilk and milk. The sour and bitter taste of the CAs were lower, while the astringent taste, fishy flavor and savory taste were higher than those of standard CA.
- Allen LH. 1982. Calcium bioavailability and absorption: A review. Am J Clin Nutr 35: 738-808.
- Oh JJ, Hong ES, Baik IK, Lee HS, Lim HS. 1996. Effects of dietary calcium, protein and phosphorus intakes on bone mineral density in Korean premenopausal women. Korean J Nutr 29: 59-69.
- Park JA, Yoon JS. 2001. The effect of habitual calcium and sodium intakes on blood pressure regulating hormone in free-living hypertensive women. Korean J Nutr 34: 409-416.
- Choi MJ. 2001. Effect of exercise and calcium intake on blood pressure and blood lipids in postmenopausal women. Korean J Nutr 34: 417-425.
- Kang JH, Kim JH, Lee HC. 1996. A study on the development of manufacturing process of high grade precipitated calcium carbonate from oyster shell. J Kor Solid Wastes Eng Soc 13: 320-327.
- Okuhira T, Kuwana Y. 1995. Technical information update. Characteristics and application of tangle minerals. Technical J Food Chemistry & Chemicals 13: 112-117.
- Anthony JE, Hadgis PN, Milam RS, Herzfeld GA, Taper LJ, Ritchey J. 1983. Yields, proximate composition and mineral content of fish shellfish. J Food Sci 48: 313-314. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1983.tb14867.x
- Okano T, Tsugawa N, Higashino R, Kobayashi T, Igarashi C, Ezawa I. 1991. Effect of bovine bone powder and calcium carbonate as a dietary calcium source on plasma and bone calcium metabolism in rats. J Jpn Soc Nutr Food Sci 44: 479-485. https://doi.org/10.4327/jsnfs.44.479
- Kim JS, Choi JD, Kim DS. 1998. Preparation of calcium based powder from fish bone and its characteristics. Agric Chem Biotechnol 41: 147-152.
- Cho ML, Heu MS, Kim JS. 2001. Study on pretreatment methods for calcium extraction from cuttle bone. J Korean Fish Soc 34: 483-487.
- Zhao J, Song K. 1997. Preparation of calcium lactate from egg shells. Modern Chem Ind 17: 31-33.
- Ko MK, No HK. 2002. Preparation of calcium lactate from ostrich eggshell. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31: 241-245. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.2.241
- Lee YK, Kim SD. 2003. Preparation and characteristics of calcium lactate from black snail. Nutraceuticals & Food 8: 166-172. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2003.8.2.166
- Kasprzak KS, Hoover KL, Poirier LA. 1985. Effects of dietary calcium acetate on lead subacetate carcinogenicity in kidneys of male Sprague-Dawley rats. Carcinogenesis 6: 279-282. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/6.2.279
- d'Almeida Filho EJ, da Cruz EA, Hoette M, Ruzany F, Keen LN, Lugon JR. 2000. Calcium acetate versus calcium carbonate in the control of hyperphosphatemia in hemodialysis patients. Revista Paulista de Medicina 118: 179-184.
- Costilow RN, Gerhardt P. 1983. Dialysis pure-culture process for lactic acid fermentation of vegetables. J Food Sci 48: 1632-1636. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1983.tb05048.x
- Fleming HP, McDonald LC, McFeeters RF, Thompson RL, Humphries EG. 1995. Fermentation of cucumbers without sodium chloride. J Food Sci 60: 312-315. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1995.tb05662.x
- Kuhn DF. 2001. Method of treating commercial grade products to remove undesirable odors and flavors. US Patent 6303172.
- Community of Encyclopedia Chimica. 1963. Encyclopedia Chimica. Kyoritsu Pub. Co., Tokyo, Japan. Vol 3, p 817-829.
- Herbert A, Joel LS. 1993. Sensory Evaluation Practices. 2nd ed. Academic Press, USA. p 68-75.
- Characteristics of the Shells and Calcined Powders from the Butter Clam Saxidomus purpuratus and Littleneck Clam Ruditapes philippinarum as a Natural Calcium Resource vol.48, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2015.0168
- Calcium Ionization Characteristics and In vitro Bioavailability Derived from Natural Calcium Sources vol.42, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.4.497
- Optimization of Calcium Acetate Preparation from Littleneck Clam (Ruditapes philippinarum) Shell Powder and Its Properties vol.47, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2015.47.3.321
- Characterization of Calcium Lactate Prepared from Butter Clam Saxidomus purpuratus Shell Powder vol.49, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2016.0301
- Reproductive Ecology of the Freshwater Melania Snail, Semisulcospira coreana (v. Martens) in Bukhan River vol.28, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.9710/kjm.2012.28.2.175
- Properties of Calcium Lactate Prepared from Calcined Littleneck Clam Ruditapes philippinarum Shell Powder vol.49, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2016.0436
- Characteristics and Preparation of Calcium Acetate from Butter Clam (Saxidomus purpuratus) Shell Powder by Response Surface Methodology vol.44, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.6.888