- Volume 28 Issue 7
In this paper, structural analysis is performed to investigate the deformation of porous media in a proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC). Structural deformation of air plate of the fuel cell causes the change in configuration and cross sectional area of the channel. The distributions of mass flow rate and pressure are major factors to decide the performance of a PEMFC. These factors are affected by channel configuration of air plate. Two kinds of numerical air plate models are suggested for flow analyses. Deformed porous media and undeformed porous media are considered for the two models. The Numerical flow analysis results between deformed porous media and undeformed porous media have some discrepancy in pressure distribution. The pressure and velocity distribution under a working condition are numerically calculated to predict the performance of the air plates. Pressure and velocity distributions are compared for two models. It is shown that structural deformation makes difference in flow analysis results.
PEMFC;Nonlinear Material;Finite Element Method;Pressure Distribution
- EG & G Services Parsons, Inc. Science Applications International Corporation, 2000, Fuel Cell Handbook, 5th U. S. Department of Energy Office of Fossil Energy
- Larminie, J. and Dicks, A., 2000, Fuel Cell Systems Explained, John Wiley & sons
- Zheng, R. and Dong, Z., 2001, 'Finite Element Structure Design of Fuel Cell Plate,' 11th Canadian Hydrogen Conference, pp. 183-191
- Bathe, K. J., 1996, Finite Element Procedures, Prentice Hall
- Versteeg, H. K. and Malalasekera, W., 1999, An Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics, Longman
- Mennola, T., 2000, 'Design Experimental Characterization of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells.'
- Leo, J., Blomen, M. J. and Mugerwa, M. N., 1993, Fuel Cell Systems, Plenum Press
- Kordesch, K. V., 1971, 'City Car with H2-Air Fuel Cell and Lead Battery,' 6th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, SAE Paper No. 719015
- Picot, D., Metkmeijer, R., Bezian, J. J. and Rouveyre, L., 1998, 'Impact of the Water Symmetry Factor on Humidification and Cooling Strategies for PEM Fuel Cell Stacks,' Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 75, Issue 2, pp. 251-260 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(98)00123-2
- He, W. and Chen, Q. 1998, 'Three-Dimensional Simulation of A Molten Carbonate Fuel Cell Stack under Transient Conditions,' Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 73, Issue 2, pp. 182-192 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(97)02800-0
- Lee, J. H., Lalk, T. R. and Appleby, A. J. 1998, 'Modeling Electrochemical Performance in Large Scale Proton Exchange Fuel Cell Stacks,' Jounal of Power Sources, Vol. 70, Issue 2, pp.182-192