- Volume 21 Issue 9
Severe osteoarthrosis of the knee joint often requires total knee arthroplasty(TKA) to yield adequate knee function. The knee joint with TKA is expected ideally to restore the characteristics, however, this is not necessarily 1.ue in the clinical cases. In this study the motion of the intact joint and the joint after. TKA were investigated numerically using computer simulation. For active knee extension from 90 degrees of flexion to full extension, the intact knee joint exhibited anterior tibial translation near the full extension and it showed only rotation at other flexion angles. Physiologic external rotation of the tibia near full extension known as screw home movement was also noted in the analytical model. The analysis of the tibial insert of three different shapes (flat, semicurved, and curved types) demonstrated characteristic rotational and sliding motion as well as different contact forces.
- Wismans, J., Veldpaus, F., Janssen, J., Huson, A. and Struben, P., 'A Three-Dimentional Mathematical Model of the Knee Joint,' J. Biomechanics, Vol. 13, pp. 677-685, 1980 https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(80)90354-1
- Blankvoon, L., Kuiper, J. H., Huiskes, R. and Grootonboor, H. J., 'A Three-Dimensional Model of the Knee,' J. Biomechanics, Vol. 24, pp. 1019-1031, 1991 https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(91)90019-J
- Esssinger, J. R., Leyvraz, P. F., Heegard, J. H. and Robertson, D. D., 'A Mathematical Model for Evaluation of the Behaviour during Flexion of Condylar-Type Knee Prostheses,' J. Biomechanics, Vol. 22, pp. 1229-1241, 1989 https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(89)90225-X
- Kurosawa, H., Walker, P. S., Abe, S., Garg, A. and Hunter, T., 'Geometry and Motion of the Knee for Implant and Orthotic Design,' J. Biomechanics, Vol. 18, pp. 487-499, 1985 https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(85)90663-3
- Garg, A. and Walker, P. S., 'Prediction of Total Knee Motion Using a Three-Dimensional Computer Graphics Model,' J. Biomechanics, Vol. 23, pp. 45-58, 1990 https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(90)90368-D
- Grood, E. S. and Suntay, W. J., 'Biomechanics of the Knee-Extension Exercise,' Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Vol. 66-A, pp. 725-733, 1984