- Volume 28 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study of the Fatigue Behavior of SnAgCu and SnPb Solder Joints
무연솔더(SnAgCu)와 유연솔더(SnPb)의 피로 수명 비교 연구
- Published : 2004.12.01
In the last 50 years, lead-contained solder materials have been the most popular interconnect materials used in the electronics industry. Recently, lead-free solders are about to replace lead-contained solders for preventing environmental pollutions. However, the reliability of lead-free solders is not yet satisfactory. Several researchers reported that lead-contained solders have a good fatigue property. The others published that the lead-free solders have a longer thermal fatigue life. In this paper, the reason for the contradictory results published on the estimation of fatigue life of lead-free solder is investigated. In the present study, fatigue behavior of 63Sn37Pb, and two types of lead-free solder joints were compared using pseudo-power cycling testing method, which provides more realistic load cycling than chamber cycling method does. Pseudo-power cycling test was performed in various temperature ranges to evaluating the shear strain effect. A nonlinear finite element model was used to simulate the thermally induced visco-plastic deformation of solder ball joint in BGA packages. It was found that lead-free solder joints have a good fatigue property in the small temperature range condition. That condition induce small strain amplitude. However in the large temperature range condition, lead-contained solder joints have a longer fatigue life.
Fatigue;Lead-Free Solder;Power Cycling Test
- IPC, 2000, A Guide for Assembly of Lead-Free Electronics Draft IV, IPC, Northbrook, pp. 1-21, www.ipc.org
- Soldertec, 2003, Second European Lead-Free Soldering Technology Roadrnap, Soldertec, Uxbridge, pp. 1-24, www.lead-free.org.
- Schubert, A., Dudek, R, Walter, R., Jung, E., GoIlhardt, A., Michel, B. and Reichl, H., 2002, 'Reliability Assessment of Flip-Chip Assemblies with Lead-free Solder Joints,' 2002 ECTC (2002 Electronic Components and Technology Conference), pp.1246-1255 https://doi.org/10.1109/ECTC.2002.1008266
- Lee, S.W., Hoi, B., Lui, W. and Kong, Y.H., 2002, 'Assessment of Board Level Solder Joint Reliability PBGA Assemblies with Lead-Free Solders,' Soldering and Surface Mount Technology, Vol. 14, No.3, pp. 46-50 https://doi.org/10.1108/09540910210444728
- Syed, A., 2001, 'Reliability and Au Embrittlement of LeadFree Solders for BGA Applications,' 2001 International Symposium on Advanced Packaging Materials, pp 143-147 https://doi.org/10.1109/ISAOM.2001.916565
- Tummala, R. R., Rymaszewski, E. J. and Klopfenstein, A. G., 1997, Microselectronics Packaging Handbook part I 2nd edtition, Chapman&Hall, New York, pp. 469-471
- Hong, B. Z., 1998, 'Thermal Fatigue Analysis of a CBGA Package with Lead-free Solder Fillets,' Inter Society Conference on Thermal Phenomena, pp. 205-211
- Lau, J., Dauksher, W. and Vianco, P., 2003, 'Acceleration Models, Constitutive Equations, and Reliability of Lead-Free Solders and Joints,' 2003 ECTC (2003 Electronic Components and Technology Conference), pp. 229-236
- Reliability and Failure Analysis of Lead-Free Solder Joints for PBGA Package Under a Cyclic Bending Load vol.31, pp.2, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1109/TCAPT.2008.921650