- Volume 28 Issue 12
We demonstrate a novel fabrication technology for the microneedle array that can be used in the medical test field, which is transdermal drug delivery and blood analyte sampling. Previous researchers have used silicon-processed micromachining, a reactive ion etching, and molding techniques for the fabrication of microneedle array. However, these fabrication techniques have somewhat limitations apply to the microneedle array fabrication according to its application. Inclined LIGA process is suggested to overcome these problems. This process provides easier, sharper and longer out-of-plane microneedle array structure than conventional silicon-processed fabrication method did. Additionally, because of the advantage of the LIGA process based on mold fabrication for mass production, the polymer, PMMA(PolyMethylMethAcrylate), based microneedle array is useful as the mold base of nickel electroplating process; on the other hand, silicon-processed microneedle array is used in itself. In this research, we fabricate different types of out-of-plane microneedle array, which have different shape of tip, base and hole structure, using the inclined LIGA process. The fabricated microneedles have proper mechanical strength, height and sharpness to puncture human hand epidermis or dermis with less pain and without needle tip break during penetrating the skin.
Microneedle Array;Painless Transdermal Application Device;PMMA(PolyMethylMethAcrylate);Inclined LIGA Process
- Liwei Lin and Albert P. Pisano, 1999, 'Silicon-Processed Microneedles,' IEEE J. of MEMS, Vol. 8, No.1, pp. 78-84 https://doi.org/10.1109/84.749406
- Gardeniers, J. G. E., Berenschot, J. W., de Boer, M. J., Yeshurun, Y., van't Oever, M. Hefetzm R. and van den Berg, A., 2002, 'Silicon Micromachined Hollow Microneedles for Transdermal Liquid Transfer,' The Fifteenth IEEE International Conference on MEMS, pp. 141-144, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, January 20-24
- Sebastien Henry, Devin V. AcAllister, Mark G. Allen and Mark R. Prausnitz, 1998, 'Micro fabricated Microneedles: A Novel Approach to Transdermal Drug Delivery,' Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vol. 87, No.8, pp. 922-925 https://doi.org/10.1021/js980042+
- Patrick Griss and Goran Stemme, 2002, 'Novel, Side Opened Out-of-Plane Microneedles for Microfluidic Transdermal Interfacing,' The Fifteenth IEEE International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, pp. 467-470, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, January 20-24 https://doi.org/10.1109/MEMSYS.2002.984303
- Achim Trautmann, Patrick Ruther and Oliver Paul, 2003, 'Microneedle Arrays Fabricated Using Suspended Etch Mask Technology Combined with Fluidic through Wafer Vias,' IEEE The Sixteenth Annual International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, pp.682-685, Kyoto, Japan, January 19-23 https://doi.org/10.1109/MEMSYS.2003.1189841
- Jeffrey D. Zahn, Neil H. Talbot, Dorian Liepmann and Albert P. Pisano, 2000, 'Micro fabricated Polysilicon Microneedles for Minimally Invasive Biomedical Devices.' Biomedical Microdevices. Vol. 2, No.4, pp. 295-303 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009907306184
Boris Stoeber and Dorian Liepmann, 2000, 'Fluid Injection Through Out-of-Plane Microneedles,'
$1^st$Annual International IEEE-EMBS Special Topic Conference on Microtechnologies in Medicine & Biology, pp. 224-228, Lyon, France, October 12-14 https://doi.org/10.1109/MMB.2000.893777
- Mitsuhiro Shikida, Michiaki Odagaki, Nobuo Todoroki, Masaki Ando, Yuji Ishihara, Taeko Ando and Kazuo Sato, 2003, 'Non-Photolithographic Pattern Transfer for Fabricating Arrayed 3-D Microstructures by Chemical Anisotropic Etching,,' IEEE The Sixteenth Annual International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, pp. 562-565, Kyoto, Japan, January 19-23
- Ramachandran Trichur, Sanghyo Kim, Xiaoshan Zhu, Ji Won Suk, Chien-Chong Hong, Jin-Woo Choi and Chong H. Ahn, 2002, 'Development of Plastic Microneedles for Transdermal Interfacing Using Injection Molding Techniques,' Micro Total Analysis System 2002, Vol. 1, pp. 395-397, Nara, Japan, November 3-7
- Shankar Chandrasekaran and A. Bruno Frazier, 2003, 'Characterization of Surface Micromachined Hollow Metallic Microneedles,' IEEE The Sixteenth Annual International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, pp. 363-366, Kyoto, Japan, January 19-23 https://doi.org/10.1109/MEMSYS.2003.1189761
- Jung-Hwan Park, Shawn Davis, Young-Kyu Yoon, Mark R. Prausnitz and Mark G. Allen, 2003, 'Micromachined Biodegradable Microstructures,' IEEE The Sixteenth Annual International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, pp. 371-374, Kyoto, Japan, January 19-23 https://doi.org/10.1109/MEMSYS.2003.1189763
- Oh, D. Y. and Lee, Seung S., 2001, 'A Tetrahedral Three-Facet Micro Mirror with The Inclined Deep X-ray Process,' Sensor and Actuators, A93, pp. 157-161 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-4247(01)00645-8