- Volume 28 Issue 12
In photoelasticity, the directions of principal stresses are given by isoclinic fringe patterns. In this study, photoelastic theory is represented by Jones calculus and the photoelastic 8-step phase shifting method is described. A feasibility study using computer simulation is done to get isoclinics from photoelastic fringes of a circular disk under diametral compression. Fringe patterns of the disk are generated from the stress-optic law. The magnitudes of isoclinics obtained from the fringe patterns of computer simulation and experiment are compared with those of theory. The results are close between them. Then, the 8-step phase shifting method is applied to get distributions of isoclinics along the specified lines of a cuved beam plate under tensile load. Experimental results obtained from the phase shifting method were compared with those of finite element analysis (ANSYS). It is confirmed that measurement of isoclinic distributions is possible by use of photoelasitc phase shifting method.
Photoelasticity;Phase Shifting Method;Isoclinics Fringe;Principal Stress Direction
- Dally, J. W. and Riley, W. F., 1991, Experimental Stress Analysis, Second Ed., McGraw-Hill. Inc.
- Cloud, G. L., 1995, Optical Methods of Engineering Analysis, Cambridge University Press
- Baek, T. H. and Lee, J. C., 1994, 'Development of Image Processing Technique for Photoelastic Fringe Analysis,' Transactions of KSME (Korean), Vol. 18, No. 10, pp. 2577-2584
- Baek, T. H., Kim, M. S., Morimoto, Y. and Fujigaki, M., 2002, 'Separation of Isochromatics and Isoclinics from Photoelastic Fringes in a Circular Disk by Phase Measuring Technique', KSME International Journal, Vol. 16, No.2, pp. 1207-1213
- Theocaris, P. S. and Gdoutos, E. E., 1979, 'Matrix Theory of Photoelasticity,' Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Baek, T. H., Kim, M. S. and Cho, S. H., 2001, 'Simulation of Separating Isoclinics and Isochromatics from Photoelastic Fringes of Disk using 8-step Phase Shifting Methodollgy,' Journal of the Korean Society for Non-destructive Testing (Korean), Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 189-196
- Quiroga, J. A. and Gonzales-Cano, A., 1997, 'Phase Measuring Algorithm for Extraction of Isochromatis of Photoelastic Fringe Patterns,' Applied Optics, Vol. 36, No.2, pp. 8397-8402 https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.36.008397
- Frocht, M. M.,, 1967, Photoelasticity, Vol. 1 and 2, John Wiley and Sons
- Baek, T. H., 'Development and Test of the Multi-purpose Polariscope', Proceedings of the Symposium, Novel Applications of Experimental Methods in Mechanics, Society for Experimental Mechanics, Inc. (June 2003), pp. 185-191
- Photoelastic Division, Measurement Group, Inc., Raleigh, NC, 27611, USA
- ANSYS, Inc., Southpointe, 275 Technology Drive, Canonsburg, PA 15317, USA