- Volume 17 Issue 4
The aim of this study was to investigate the evidential value of blue and black ballpoint pens on paper by nondestructive techniques. In this work, 21 blue and 22 black ballpoint pens which were purchased on different brands were analyzed by Raman Spectroscopy and Video Spectral Comparator (VSC). Surface-Enhanced Resonance Raman Spectroscopy (SERRS) with excitation at 685 nm and VSC with several spot light filters were used for the discrimination of ballpoint pen inks. In the SERR spectra, the ballpoint pen inks on paper could be shown sharp spectral bands and distinguished by their band shapes and relative intensities. In the blue and black ballpoint pen inks, the discriminating powers (DP) by SERRS were 0.85 and 0.67 and the DP by VSC were 0.88 and 0.90, respectively. The DP by combined sequence of techniques was all 0.97 in both black and blue ballpoint pen inks.
Forensic science;Document examination;ballpoint pen inks;SERRS
- D. Ellen, 'The Scientific Examination of Documents', 2nd, 89～115, Britain, Tayor & Francis, 1997.
- J.A. Lewis, J. Forensic Sci. 41, 874(1996).
- R.M. Seifar, J.M. Verheul, F. Ariese, U.A.T. Brinkman, C. Gooijer, Analyst, 126, 1418(2001).
- PC. White, Science & Justice, 40, 113(2000).
- R.A. Horton, L.K. Nelson, J. Forensic Sci. 36, 838(1991).
- E. Rohde, AC. McManus, C. Vogt, WR. Heineman, J. Forensic Sci. 42, 1004(1997).
- A.A. Kher, E.V. Green, M.I. Mulholland, J. Forensic Sci. 46, 878(2001).
- C. Roux, M. Novotny, I. Evans, C. Lennard, Forensic Sic. Int. 101, 167(1999).
- J. Andrasko, J. Forensic Sci. 46, 21(2001).
- D.M. Grim, J. Siegel, J. Allison, J. Forensic Sci. 46, 1411(2001).
- V.N. Aginsky, J. Forensic Sci. 38, 1111(1993).
- K.C. Cheng, C.E Pu, Int. J. Forensic Document Examiners, 4, 323(1998).
- J. Wang, G. Luo, S. Sun, Z. Wang, Y. Wang, J. Forensic Sci. 46, 1093(2001).
- A. Zeichner, B. Glattstein, J. Forensic Sci. 37, 738(1992).
- M. Claybourn, M. Ansell, Science & justice, 40, 261(2000).
- M. Sakayanagi, B. Pharm, J. Komuro, Y. Konda, K. Watanabe, Y. Harigaya, J. Forensic Sci. 44, 1204(1999).
- K.W. Smalldon, A.C. Moffat, J. Forensic Sci. Soc. 13, 291(1973).
- L.A. Olson, J. Forensic Sci. 31, 1330(1986).
Supported by : Korea Science & Engineering Foundation (KOSEF)