- Volume 11 Issue 3
In this paper, we derive sharp upper and lower expectation bounds on the extreme order statistics from possibly dependent random variables whose marginal distributions are only known. The marginal distributions of the considered random variables may not be the same and the expectation bounds are completely determined by the marginal distributions only.
Expectation bounds;extreme order statistics;dependent random variables
Arnold, B. C. (1985).
$\rho$-norm bounds on the expectation of the maximum of a possibly dependent sample. Journal of Multivariate Analysis, 17, 316-332 https://doi.org/10.1016/0047-259X(85)90087-9
- Balakrishnan, N. (1990). Improving the Hartley-David-Gumbel bound for the mean of extreme-order statistics. Statistics and Probability Letters, 9, 291-294 https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-7152(90)90102-D
- Gumbel, E. J. (1954). The maxima of the mean largest values and of the range. The Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 25, 76-84 https://doi.org/10.1214/aoms/1177728847
- Hartley, H. O. and David, H. A. (1954). Universal bounds for mean range and extreme observation. The Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 25, 85-99 https://doi.org/10.1214/aoms/1177728848
- Huang, J. S. (1998). Sequence of expectations of maximum-order statistics. Statistics and Probability Letters, 38, 117-123 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-7152(97)00161-2
- Lai, T. L. and Robbins, H. (1978). A class of dependent random variables and their maxima. Z. Wahrscheinlichkeitstheorie venv. Gebiete, 42, 89-111 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00536046
- Moriguti, S. (1953). A modification of Schwarz's inequality with applications to distributions. The Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 24, 107-113 https://doi.org/10.1214/aoms/1177729088
- Papadatos, N. (2001). Distribution and expectation bounds on order statistics from possibly dependent variates. Statistics and Probability Letters, 54, 21-31 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-7152(01)00014-1