- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Dynamics of thick hygrothermal viscoelastic composite laminates through finite element method
- Assie, Amr E. (Department of Mechanical Design and Production, Faculty of Engineering, Zagazig University) ;
- Mahmoud, Fatin F. (Department of Mechanical Design and Production, Faculty of Engineering, Zagazig University)
- Received : 2003.04.07
- Accepted : 2003.11.15
- Published : 2004.05.25
An uncoupled computational model for analyzing the hygrothermal dynamic response of composite laminates has been developed. The constitutive equations, expressed in an integral form, and involving relaxation moduli are adopted, to describe the non-aging hygrothermorheologically simple materials. A Prony series represents the relaxation moduli is exploited in order to derive a recursive relationship, and thereby eliminate the storage problem that arises when dealing with material possessing memory. The problem is formulated in a descritized variational form. Mindlin and higher order finite elements are employed for spatial descretization, while the Newmark average acceleration scheme is exploited for temporal descritization. The adopted recursive formula uses only the details of the previous event to compute the details of the current one. Numerical results of the displacement fields of both thin and thick viscoelastic laminates problems are discussed to show up the effectiveness of Mindlin and higher-order shear theories.
- Assie, A.E. (2001), "Transient vibration of viscoelastic composite plates", Ph.D. Thesis, Zagazig University, Zagazig, Egypt.
- Cederbsum, G. and Aboudi, J. (1989), "Dynamic response of viscoelastic laminated plates", J. Sound Vib.,133(2), 225-238. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(89)90923-1
- Chen, Q. and Chan, Y.W. (2000), "Integral finite element method for dynamical analysis of elastic-viscoelasticcomposite structures", Comput. Struct., 74(3), 51-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(98)00321-6
- Chen, Q. and Zhu, D.M. (1990), "Vibrational analysis theory and application to elastic-viscoelastic compositestructures", Comput. Struct., 37(4), 585-595. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(90)90047-6
- Hammerand, D.C. and Kapania, R.K. (1999), "Thermoviscoelastic analysis of composite structures using atriangular flat shell element", AIAA Journal, 37(2), 238-247. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.696
- Hashin, Z. (1970a), "Complex moduli of viscoelastic composites - I. General theory and applications toparticulate composites", Int. J. Solids Structures, 6, 539-552. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(70)90029-6
- Hashin, Z. (1970b), "Complex moduli of viscoelastic composites - II. Fiber reinforced materials", Int. J. SolidsStructures, 6, 797-807. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(70)90018-1
- Hassan, M.M., Assie, A.E. and Mahmoud, F.F. (1996), "Static analysis of symmetrical and unsymmetricallaminated plates using heterosis finite element models", Journal of Engineering and Applied Science, Facultyof Engineering, Cairo University, 43(4), 733-748.
- Saravanos, D.A. and Chamis, C.C. (1990), "Mechanics of damping for fiber composite laminates includinghygrothermal effects", AIAA Journal, 28(10), 1813-1919. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.10478
- Taylor, R.L., Pister, K.S. and Goudreau, G.L. (1970), "Thermo-mechanical analysis of viscoelastic solids", Int. J.Numer. Meth. Eng., 2(1), 45-59. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620020106
- Yi, S. (1987), "Time-dependent behavior of composite laminates in hygrothermal environments", M.Sc. Thesis,University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- Yi, S. and Hilton, H.H. (1994), "Dynamic finite element analysis of viscoelastic composite plates in the timedomain", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 37, 4081-4096. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620372309
- Yi, S. and Hilton, H. (1995), "Hygrothermal effects on viscoelastic responses of laminated composites",Composite Engineering, 5(2), 183-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/0961-9526(95)90712-K
- Behavior of a viscoelastic composite plates under transient load vol.25, pp.5, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-011-0302-6