- Volume 14 Issue 4
Determination of Total Chiro-inositol Content in Selected Natural Materials and Evaluation of the Antihyperglycemic Effect of Pinitol Isolated from Soybean and Carob
- Kim, Jung-In (Biohealth Product Research Center, School of Food and Life Science, Institute for Food Sciences, Institute of Basic Sciences, Inje University) ;
- Kim, Jae-Cherl (School of Food and Life Science, Institute for Food Sciences, Institute of Basic Sciences, Inje University) ;
- Joo, Hee-Jeong (Biohealth Product Research Center, School of Food and Life Science, Institute for Food Sciences, Institute of Basic Sciences, Inje University) ;
- Jung, Suk-Hee (Biohealth Product Research Center, School of Food and Life Science, Institute for Food Sciences, Institute of Basic Sciences, Inje University) ;
- Kim, Jong-Jin (Department of Microbiology, College of Agriculture, Gyeongsang National University)
- Published : 2005.08.30
Pinitol and chiro-inositol exert insulin-like effect by mediating post-receptor signaling pathway. Total chiro-inositol concentrations, including pinitol, chiro-inositol, and their derivatives, were determined in 115 natural and food materials to identify economical sources for mass production of pinitol. Carob pod, Bougainvillea, soy whey, and soybean oligosaccharides were rich sources of chiro-inositol. Pinitol was isolated from soy whey and carob pod, considered as economically viable sources, by chromatographic separation using activated carbon. Soy and carob pinitols had same chemical structure as that of reference pinitol based on HPLC and NMR results. Oral administration of soy pinitol and carob pinitol (10 mg/kg) significantly decreased blood glucose at 2-6 hr in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. These results suggest pinitol isolated from soy whey and carob pod could be beneficial in controlling blood glucose in animal model of diabetes mellitus.
- Br. J. Pharmacol. v.130 Insulin-like effect of pinitol Bates, S.H.;Jones, R.B.;Bailey, C.J.
- Science v.240 Phosphatidylinositol-glycan anchors of membrane proteins: Potential precursors of insulin mediators Romero, G.;Luttrell, L.;Rogol, A.;Zeller, K.;Hewlett, E.;Larner, J.
- Science v.206 Generation by insulin of a chemical mediator that controls protein phosphorylation and dephosphorylation Larner, J.;Galasko, G.;Cheong, K.;DePaoli-Roach, A.A.;Huang, L.;Daggy, P.;Kellogg, J.
- J. Biol. Chem. v.262 ATP-Mn simulates the generation of a putative mediator of insulin action Suzuki, S.;Toyota, T.;Tamura, S.;Kikuchi, K.;Tsuiki, S.;Huang, L.;Villar-Palasi, C.;Larner, J.;Goto, Y.
- Endocr. J. v.2 Multiple pathways in insulin signaling-fitting the covalent and allosteric puzzle pieces together Larner, J.
J. Biol. Chem.
In vivo conversion of
$[^3H]myoinositol\;to\;[^3H]chiroinositol$in rat tissues Pak, Y.;Huang, L.C.;Lilley, K.J.;Larner, J.
- Endocrinology v.132 Acute effects of chiro-inositol administration in streptozotocin-diabetic rats, normal rats given a glucose load, and spontaneously insulin-resistance rhesus monkeys Ortmyer, H.K.;Huang, L.C.;Zhang, L.;Hansen, B.;Larner, J.
- P. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA v.90 Chiro-inositol deficiency and insulin resistance: A comparison of the chiro-inositol- and myoinositol-containing insulin mediators isolated from urine, hemodialysate, and muscle of control and type II diabetic subjects Asplin, I.;Galasko, G.;Larner, J.
- P. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA v.91 Insulin-induced activation of glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase by a chiro-inositol-containing insulin mediator is defective in adipocytes of insulin-resistant, type II diabetic, Goto-Kakizaki rats Farese, R.V.;Standaert, M.L.;Yamada, K.;Huang, L.C.;Zhang, C.;Cooper, D.R.;Wang, Z.;Yang, Y.;Suzuki, S.;Toyota, T.
- Diabetologia v.39 Infusion of pH 2.0 D-chiroinositol glycan insulin putative mediator normalized plasma glucose in streptozotocin diabetic rats at a dose equivalent to insulin without inducing hypoglycaemia Fonteles, M.C.;Huang, L.C.;Larner, J.
In vivo chiro-inositol metabolism in the rat: A defect in the synthesis from myo-inositol and an increased incorporation of
$chiro-[^3H]inositol$into phospholipid in the Goto-Kakizaki (G.K.) rat Pak, Y.;Hong, Y.;Kim, S.;Piccariello, T.;Farese, R.V.;Larner, J.
- Endocrinology v.132 Chiroinositol deficiency and insulin resistance I. Urinary excretion rate of chiro-inositol is directly associated with insulin resistance in spontaneously diabetic Rhesus monkeys Ortmeyer, H.K.;Bodkin, N.L.;Lilley, K.;Larner, J.
- Endocrinology v.132 Chiroinositol deficiency and insulin resistance II. Acute effects of D-chiro-inositol administration in streptozotocin-diabetic rats, normal rats given a glucose load, and spontaneously insulin-resistant Rhesus monkeys Ortmeyer, H.K.;Huang, L.C.;Zhang, L.;Hansen, B.C.;Larner, J.
- Endocrinology v.132 Chiroinositol deficiency and insulin resistance III. Acute glycogenic and hypoglycemic effects of two inositol phosphoglycan insulin mediators in normal and streptozotocin-diabetic rats in vivo Huang, L.C.;Fonteles, M.C.;Houston, D.B.;Zhang, C.;Larner, J.
- Pinitol and derivatives thereof for the treatment of metabolic disorders Ostlund, R.E.;Sherman, W.R.
- Curr. Sci. v.56 Pinitol-A new anti-diabetic compound from the leaves of Bougainvillea spectabilis Narayan, C.R.;Joshi, D.D.;Mujumdar, A.M.;Dhekne, V.V.
- J. Sci. Food. Agric. v.29 Low molecular weight carbohydrates from leguminous seeds; new disaccharides: galactopinitol Schweizer, T.F.;Horman, I.;Wursch, P.
- Phytochemistry v.45 Occurrence of pinitol in developing soybean seed tissues Kuo, T.M.;Lowell, C.A.;Nelsen, T.C.
- J. Agric. Food Chem. v.34 Isolation and identification of cylitols in carob pods (Ceratonia siliqua L.) Baumgartner, S.;Genner-Ritzman, R.;Haas, J.;Amado, R.;Neukom, H.
- Ind. Eng. Chem. v.45 Pinitol from sugar pine stump wood Anderson, A.B.
- Method of recovering pinitol or chiro-inositol in high yield from soy fraction Shin, Y.C.;Jeon, Y.J.;Kim, J.J.;Choi, C.M.;Jeon, Y.J.
- World Health Organ. Tech. Rep. Ser. Prevention of diabetes mellitus World Health Organization
- New Engl. J. Med. v.329 The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complications in the diabetes control in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group
- BMJ v.317 Tight blood pressure control and risk of macrovascular and microvascular complications in type 2 diabetes. UKPDS 38 UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group
- Diabetes Care v.12 Traditional plant medicines as treatments for diabetes Bailey, C.J.;Day, C.
- Science v.227 Insulin mediators from rat skeletal muscle have differential effects on insulin-sensitive pathways of intact adipocytes Jarett, L.;Wong, E.H.A.;Macaulay, S.L.;Smith, J.A.
- Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. v.59 Effects of pinitol isolated from soybeans on glycemic control and cardiovascular risk factors in Korean patients with type II diabetes mellitus: a randomized controlled study Kim, J.I.;Kim, J.C.;Kang, M.J.;Lee, M.S.;Lim, J.J.;Cha, I.J.