- Volume 18 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Isolation of an Oocyte Stimulatory Peptide from the Ovarian Follicular Fluid of Water Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis)
Gupta, P.S.P.;Ravindra, J.P.;Nandi, S.;Raghu, H.M.;Ramesha, K.P.
- Received : 2004.09.26
- Accepted : 2005.05.04
- Published : 2005.11.01
Ovarian follicular fluid contains both stimulatory and inhibitory agents that influence the growth and maturation of oocyte. In the present study, an attempt was made to isolate and study the biological properties of ovarian follicular fluid peptide(s) in buffaloes. Bubaline ovarian follicular was made steroid- and cell-free. A protein fraction was obtained by saturation (30-35% level) of the follicular fluid with ammonium sulfate. The protein fraction was purified with Sephadex-G 50 gel filtration chromatography and a single peak was obtained in the eluant volume, which was lyophilized. SDS-PAGE of the lyophilized fraction revealed a single band and the molecular weight of the peptide was 26.6 kDa. The peptide stimulated the cumulus cell expansion and in vitro maturation rate of oocytes in buffaloes in a dose dependent manner when it was incorporated at different dose levels (0, 10, 25, 50, 100 and 1,000 ng
- Ayoub, M. A. and A. G. Hunter. 1993. Inhibitory effect of bovine follicular fluid on in vitro maturation of bovine oocytes. J. Dairy Sci. 76:95-100.
- Beker, A. R. C. L., F. Izadyar, B. Colenbrander and M. M. Bevers. 2000. Effect of growth hormone releasing hormone (GHRH) and vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) on in vitro bovine oocyte maturation. Theriogenology 53:1771-1782.
- Bruck, I., J. Bezard, G. Duchamp, M. Balsten, P. Dales and T. Greve. 2000. Pure preovulatory follicular fluid for in vitro maturation of equine oocytes: An alternative to conventional culture media? Theriogenology 53:450 (Abstr.).
- Chauhan, M. S., P. Palta, S. K. Das, P. K. Katiyar and M. L. Madan. 1997. Replacement of serum and hormone additives with follicular fluid in the IVM medium: effects of maturation, fertilization and subsequent development of buffalo oocytes in vitro. Theriogenology 48:461-469.
- Fujimori, K., R. M. Nakamura, S. A. Tonetta and G. S. Di Zerega. 1987. Cessation of transition-phase follicle growth in the Guinea pig by Follicle Regulatory Protein. Biol. Reprod. 37:812-822.
- Guraya, S. S. 1997. Follicular growth and its Regulation and Functions. In Ovarian Biology in Buffaloes and Cattle. 1st Edition, ICAR, New Delhi, India.
- Harper, K. M. and B. G. Brackett. 1993. Bovine blastocyst development after in vitro maturation in a defined medium with epidermal growth factor and low concentrations of gonadotropins. Biol. Reprod. 48:409-416.
- Ocana-Quero, J. M., M. Moreno-Millan, M. Pinedo-Merlin and A. Rodero-Franganillo. 1997. Influence of different follicular fractions on in vitro maturation of immature bovine oocytes. Arch. de Zootec. 46:51-59.
- Ramsoondar, J., W. Khalil and B. R. Downey. 1995. Partial purification and characterization of a protein in porcine follicular fluid which restricts sperm-egg interaction in vitro. Canadian J. Vet. Res. 59:8-14.
- Sambrook, J., E. F. Fritsch and T. Maniatis. 1989. Molecular cloning : A laboratory manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor, New York.
- Talevi, R., P. Bergamo, G. Sansone, A. Savarese, P. Venditti and P. Abrescia. 1994. Association of cumulus-oocyte complexes with the intrafollicular levels of a blood protein in Bubalus bubalis. Zygote 2:167-168.
- Zhang, D. and J. Wang. 1994. In vitro maturation and fertilization of rabbit oocytes. Acta Agric. Shanghai 10:83-89.
- Gupta, P. S. P., J. P. Ravindra, V. Girishkumar, H. M. Raghu, S. Nandi. 2005.Stimulation of in vitro ovine oocyte maturation with a novel peptide isolated from follicular fluid of the buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). Small Rumin. Res. 59(1):33-40.
- Nandi, S., B. M. Ravindranatha, P. S. P. Gupta and P. V. Sarma. 2002. Timing of sequential changes in cumulus cells and first polar body extrusion during in vitro maturation of buffalo oocytes. Theriogenology 57:1151-1159.
- Tajik, P., S. Goorani-Nejad and H. Ghasemzadeh-Nava. 2000. In vitro maturation of water buffalo oocytes in different concentrations of bovine and buffalo follicular fluid. Theriogenology 53: 470 (Abstr.).
- Downs, S. M. 1989. Specificity of Epidermal growth factor action on maturation of the murine oocyte and cumulus oophorus in vitro. Biol. Reprod. 41:371-379. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod41.2.371
- Grupen, C. G., H. Nagashima and M. B. Nottle. 1997. Role of epidermal growth factor and insulin-like growth factor-I on porcine oocyte maturation and embryonic development in vitro. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 9:571-575.
- Gupta, P. S. P., S. Nandi, B. M. Ravindranatha and P. V. Sarma. 2001a. Effect of buffalo follicular alone and in combination with M199 and PMSG on buffalo oocyte maturation. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:693-696.
- Srivastava, S. K. and H. C. Pant. 1999. Inhibitory activity in buffalo follicular fluid and its elution pattern during different season. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 37(4):370-373.
- Hynes, A. C., M. T. Kane and J. M. Sreenan. 1996. Partial purification from bovine follicular fluid of a factor of low molecular mass with inhibitory effects on the proliferation of bovine granulosa cells in vitro and on rat follicular development in vivo. J. Reprod. Fertil. 108:185-191.
- Larocca, C., S. Kmaid and J. Calvo. 1993. Effect of follicular fluid and estrus cow serum on maturation, fertilization and development of the bovine oocyte in vitro. Theriogenology 39:253 (Abstr.).
- Richards, J. S. 1994. Hormonal control of gene expression in the ovary. Endocr. Rev. 15:725-751. https://doi.org/10.1210/edrv-15-6-725
- Gupta, P. S. P., S. Nandi, B. M. Ravindranatha and P. V. Sarma. 2002. In vitro maturation of buffalo oocytes with Epidermal growth factor and Fibroblast growth factor. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 72:23-26.
- Mukesh Vinze, M. K. Sharma and Dheer Singh. 2004. Effect of follicular fluid proteins and gonadotropins on progesterone secretion by buffalo granulosa cells in vitro. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1496-1500.
- Coskun, S. and Y. C. Lin. 1994. Effects of transforming growth factors and activin A on in vitro porcine oocyte maturation. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 38:153-59. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrd.1080380206
- Eckert, J. and H. Niemann. 1996. Effects of platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) on the in vitro production of bovine embryos in protein-free media. Theriogenology 46:307-320.
- Bevers, M. M., H. T. M. Van Tol and F. A. M. De Loos. 1992. Protein patterns of immature bovine oocytes incubate with Smethionine in either medium or medium supplemented with dibutyryl-cyclic AMP or follicular fluid. 12th Int. Cong. Anim. Reprod. 1:312-314.
- Riley, S. C., R. Thomassen, S. E. Bay, R. Leask, H. G. Pedersen and E. D. Watson. 2004. Matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 secretion by the equine ovary during follicular growth and prior to ovulation. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 81:329-339.
- Xia, P., F. R. Tekpetey and D.T. Armstrong. 1994. Effect of IGF-I on pig oocyte maturation, fertilization, and early embryonic development in vitro, and on granulosa and cumulus cell biosynthetic activity. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 38:373-379.
- Kobayashi, K., S. Yanagamachi and H. Hoshi. 1994: Influence of epidermic growth factor and transforming growth factor-alpha on in vitro maturation of cumulus enclosed bovine oocytes in defined medium. J. Reprod. Fertil. 100:439-446.
- Rivera, G. M. and J. E. Fortune. 2003. Selection of the dominant follicle and insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-binding proteins: evidence that pregnancy-associated plasma protein A contributes to proteolysis of IGF-binding protein 5 in bovine follicular fluid. Endocrinology 144:437-446.
- Laemeli, U. K. 1970. Cleavage of structural protein during the analysis of head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227:680-685. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
- Palta, P. and M. S. Chauhan. 1998. Laboratory production of buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) embryos. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 10:379-91. https://doi.org/10.1071/RD98085
- Dostal, J., A. Pavlok and J. E. Flechon. 1996. Isolation and characterization of maturation inhibiting compound in bovine follicular fluid. Reprod. Nutr. Develop. 36:681-690.
- Gupta, P. S. P., S. Nandi, B. M. Ravindranatha and P. V. Sarma. 2001b. Effect of commercially available PMSG on maturation, fertilization and embryo development of buffalo oocytes in vitro. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 13:355-360.
- Kumar, S. and H. C. Pant. 1990. Purification of inhibitor(s) from buffalo follicular fluid to compensatory ovarian hypertrophy in mice. Indian J. Anim. Reprod. 11:135-140.
- Guler, A. N., P. Poulin, M. Mermillod, M. Terqui and Y. Cognie. 2000. Effect of growth factors, EGF and IGF-I, and Estradiol on in vitro maturation of sheep oocytes. Theriogenology 54:209-218.
- Pawshe, C. H., K. B. C. Appa Rao and S. M. Totey. 1998. Effect of insulin-like growth factor I and its interaction with gonadotrophins on in vitro maturation and embryonic development, cell proliferation and biosynthetic activity of cumulus-oocyte complexes and granulosa cells in buffalo Mol. Reprod. Dev. 49:277-89. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2795(199803)49:3<277::AID-MRD8>3.0.CO;2-L
- Xu-Ruo, J., Q. C. Doan, G. O. Regester and R. J. Xu. 1999. Detection and characterisation of transforming growth factorbeta in porcine colostrum. Biol. Neonate 75:59-64.
- Sun, F. J., P. Holm, B. Irvine and R. F. Seamark. 1994. Effect of follicular fluid during in vitro maturation of bovine oocytes on in vitro fertilization and early embryonic development. Biol. Reprod. 41:981-988.
- Zak, L. J., X. Xu, R. T. Hardin and G. R. Foxcroft. 1997. Impact of different patterns of feed intake during lactation in the primiparous sow on follicular development and oocyte maturation. J. Reprod. Fertil. 110:99-106.
- vol.193, pp.4, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-1716.2008.01849.x
- Effect of Fibroblast Growth Factor 2 (FGF2) and Insulin Transferrin Selenium (ITS) on In Vitro Maturation, Fertilization and Embryo Development in Sheep vol.58, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-8913201500059
- Proteome profiling of bovine follicular fluid-specific proteins and their effect on in vitro embryo development vol.79, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.16-0244
Supported by : Indian Council of Agricultural Research