- Volume 18 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Biodiversity and Conservation of Indian Sheep Genetic Resources - An Overview -
- Bhatia, S. (National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources) ;
- Arora, R. (National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources)
- Received : 2004.11.01
- Accepted : 2005.04.13
- Published : 2005.10.01
Indian subcontinent is a rich source of diverse ovine germplasm, and only very few countries have such a large number of breeds with wide genetic diversity. This vast ovine biodiversity in India is being eroded rapidly and more than 50% of sheep breeds are currently under threat. It is noteworthy that the characterization of Indian sheep breeds was last done in the first half of the century since then no recent estimates are available and surveys in majority of the regions/breeds are far from complete. Starting in 1985 National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources (NBAGR), Karnal, India, therefore, initiated activities aimed at determining the status and compiling information on indigenous farm animals including sheep. This report represents attempts made to date on the basis of field/literature surveys and additional activities on molecular characterization to ascertain their status including distribution, population changes, breed diversities and risk status. The need, mode and mechanisms of conservation are also described. Involvement of several agencies for evaluation, improvement, conservation programmes and recommendations made for effective characterization and conservation of sheep biodiversity are highlighted. This publication would promote action particularly at national level to improve the information base on domestic Indian breeds of sheep and provide input into national domestic sheep diversity conservation policy decisions.
- Alsipura Statement. 2002. Alsipura declaration from India herder Conference. http://www.pastoralpeoples.org/alsipuradecl.htm
- Arora, A. L. and L. L. L. Prince. 2004. Contribution and significance of indigenous sheep in India. In: Proceedings of Characterization and conservation of Animal Genetic Resources, NBAGR, Karnal, India. pp. 95-103.
- Bhat,.P. N., P. P. Bhat, B. U. Khan, D. S. Goswami and B. Singh. 1981. Animal genetic resources in India. Bulletin No. 192, NDRI, Karnal, India.
- Dairy year book 2000-01. 2nd Ed. Sadana publishers and distributors, New Delhi, India.
- George, S. 1985. Nomadic cattle breeders and dairy policy in India. Nomadic Peoples. 19:1-19.
- Kushwaha, B. P., Abhay Kumar and R. N. Singh. 1999. A report on survey of Munjal sheep. CSWRI, Avikanagar.
- Mason, L. L. 1981. A world dictionary of livestock breeds, types and varieties. CAB International Walling Ford, Oxford, UK. p. 348.
- Narayan, H. L.1959. Rajasthan sheep statistics and sheep breeds. Sheep and Wool/Animal Husbandry department, Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- Sadri Declaration. 2000. Proceedings International Congress and workshop on local livestock breeds for sustainable rural livelihoods. Nov. 2000. Udaipur and Sadri. India. pp. 1-4.
- Sun, W., H. Chang, Z. J. Ren, Z. P. Yang, R. Q. Geng, S. X. Lu, L. Du and K. Tsunoda. 2004. Genetic differentiation between sheep and goats based on microsatellite DNA. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(5):583-587.
- Taneja, V. K. and P. N. Bhat. 1999. Livestock genetic resources in Asia-issues, constraints, strategies for conservation, management and cost framework. The Ind. J. Anim. Genet. Breed. 21(1):1-6.
Community-based Management of Animal Genetic Resources with Special Reference to Pastoralists-Ilse K
- Khan, B. U. 2001. Conservation and management of sheep genetic resources of India. In: Proceedings of Summer School on Recent advances in Characterization and Conservation of Animal Genetic Resources.16th July -6th Aug. NBAGR, Karnal. pp. 162-176.
- Hodges, J. 1991. Sustainable development of animal genetic resources. World Animal Review. 68 (3) http://www.fao.org/ag/AGa/AGAP/FRG/FEEDback/War/u4900b/u4900b04.htm#
- Status paper. Domesticated animal genetic resources of India. Biodiversity and Conservation. NBAGR/NIAG, Karnal.pp. 1-71.
- Bhatia, S., R. Arora and Gurmej Singh. 2004. Status and conservation of sheep genetic resources of India. In: Proceedings of Characterization and conservation of Animal Genetic Resources, NBAGR, Karnal, India. pp. 77-94.
- FAO. 1998. FAO Data Bank. Rome, Italy.
- FAO. 2000. World Watch List for Domestic Animal Diversity. 3rd edition. (Ed. Beate D. Scherf) FAO of United Nations, Rome, Italy.
- Kushwaha, B. P., S. Kumar, B. S. Mehta, A. L. Arora and R. N. Singh. 1999. Chokla-Famous carpet breed of Sheep. Research Bulletin, CSWRI, Avikanagar.
- Acharya, R. M. 1982. Sheep and goat breeds of India. FAO Animal production and Health Paper. 30. FAO of United Nations, Rome, Italy.
- Arranz, J. J., Y. Bayon and F. San Primitivo. 1998. Genetic relationships among Spanish sheep using microsatellites. Anim. Genet. 29:435-440.
- IFPRI. 2000. (International Food Policy Research Institute): www.cgiar.org/ifpri
- Acharya, R. M. 1999. Management and conservation of livestock genetic resources. Indian Journal of Animal Genetics and Breeding 21(1-2):7-19.
- Anon. 1998. The implication of reversible DNA quiescence and somatic cloning for the conservation of animal genetic resources. FAO meeting report, www.fao.org/dad-is
- NBAGR. Annual Reports. 2000-2003. ICAR, Karnal, Haryana, India.
- NER Databank.http://databank.nedfi.com
- Arranz, J. J., Y. Bayon and F. San Primitivo. 2001. Genetic variation at microsatellite loci in Spanish sheep. Small Rumin. Res. 39:3-10.
- Press Information Bureau. Government of India. Focus; List of threatened breeds of India. pp. 1-2. http://pib.nic.in/focus/fojan99/fo200199.html
- Smith, C. 1984. Genetic aspects of conservation in farm animals. Livestock Production Science 11:37-48.
- DAD-IS, FAO. www.fao.dad-is
- Alderson, L. 1981. The conservation of animal genetic resources in UK. FAO Animal Production and Health Paper. 24. Rome. pp. 53-76.
- Nivsarkar, A. E. 1994. Small ruminants and an action plan for conservation in India. In: Domestic Animal Diversity. (Ed. R. Sahai and R. K. Vijh). SBI Publications, Karnal, India. pp. 49-57.
- Basuthakur, A. K. 1988. Sheep research Production and Marketing in India. Inter India Publications, New Delhi.
- Sodhi, M., M. Mukesh, R. Arora, M. S. Tantia and S. Bhatia. 2003. Genetic characterization of Garole sheep using microsatellite markers. Ind. J. Dairy Sci. 56(3):167-173.
- Turner, H. N. 1982. Origins of the CSIRO Booroola. In: The Booroola Merino. (Ed. L. R. Piper, B. M. Bindon and R. D. Nethery). CSIRO, Australia. pp. 1-7.
- Arora, R. and S. Bhatia. 2004. Genetic structure of Muzzafarnagri sheep based on microsatellite analysis. Small Rumin. Res. 54:227-230.
- Cunninghum, E. P. 1999. Recent developments in biotechnology as they are related to animal genetic resources for food and agriculture. Background study paper No. 10. Commission genetic resources for food and agriculture.
- ICAR. 1945. Nomenclature of different breeds and types of domesticated livestock in India. Indian Farming 6:415-416.
- Saitbekova-Stahlberger, N., J. Schlapfer, G. Dolf and C. Gaillord. 2001. Genetic relationships in Swiss sheep breeds based on microsatellite analysis. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 118:379-387.
- Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying. Govt. Ind. Ministry of Agric. pp. 1. http://.dahd.nic.in/sheep.htm
- Botabyal, A. 1999. Management of India’s programme of management and conservation of livestock genetic resources. Ind. J. Anim. Genet. Breed. 21(1):27-43.
- Maijala, K. 1982. Preliminary report of the working party on animal genetic resourcesin Europe. In: Conservation of animal genetic resources, Session I. Commission on Animal Gentics, EAAP, G I, Leningrad.
- Simak, E. 1991. The conservation of rare breeds of West Germany. In: Genetic Conservation of Domestic Livestock. (Ed. L. Alderson). CAB. International, pp. 65-69.
- Kaura, R. L. 1941. Some common breeds of sheep. Indian Farming 2:175-179.
- Blair, H. T. 1994. Domestic livestock conservation: is it achieving its goal. In: Proceedings of the Third Global Conference on Conservation of Domestic Animal Genetic Resources. 1-3 August 1994, Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Rare Breeds International.
- Genetic Polymorphism of Type 1 Intermediate Filament Wool Keratin Gene in Native Indian Sheep Breeds vol.46, pp.9-10, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10528-008-9169-3
- Variation of 18 STR loci in Shahabadi sheep of India vol.46, pp.1, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1134/S1022795410010138
- Genetic Polymorphism of the β-Lactoglobulin Gene in Native Sheep from India vol.48, pp.3-4, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10528-009-9323-6
- Population structure in Indian sheep ascertained using microsatellite information vol.42, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2010.02147.x
- Diversity analysis of sheep breeds from Southern peninsular and Eastern regions of India vol.43, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-010-9706-z
- Genetic Variation and Relationship of Six Indian Sheep Breeds Adapted to the Northwestern Arid Zone of Rajasthan vol.49, pp.7-8, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10528-011-9421-0
- Morphological characterization of the Azikheli buffalo in Pakistan vol.52, pp.2078-6344, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1017/S2078633613000027
- Pedigree analysis of the Nilagiri sheep of South India vol.53, pp.2078-6344, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1017/S2078633613000301
- Effect of inbreeding and individual increase in inbreeding on growth in Nilagiri and Sandyno breeds of sheep vol.58, pp.2078-6344, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1017/S2078633615000338
- Morphometric, productive and reproductive traits of indigenous goose of Bangladesh vol.59, pp.2078-6344, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1017/S2078633616000254
- Classification and conservation priority of five Deccani sheep ecotypes of Maharashtra, India vol.12, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0184691
- Classification of four ovine breeds of southern peninsular zone of India: Morphometric study using classical discriminant function analysis vol.2, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1186/2193-1801-2-29