- Volume 18 Issue 10
A study was conducted to determine the effects of restricted feeding and feed form on the growth performance, characteristics of carcass and digestive tract, and days to first egg of Japanese quail (JQ, Coturnix coturnix japonica). A total of 240 oneweek-old JQ chicks were allocated randomly into 4 experimental groups that consisted of 3 replicates according to a 2
Quail;Growth Performance;Feed Restriction;Diet Form;Sexual Maturity
- Brody, T., P. B. Siegel and J. A. Cherry. 1984. Age, body weight and body composition requirements for the onset of sexual maturity of dwarf and normal chickens. Br. Poult. Sci. 25:245-252.
- Deaton, J. W. 1995. The effect of early feed restriction on broiler performance. Poult. Sci. 74:1280-1286. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0741280
- Dunnington, E. A. and P. B. Siegel. 1984. Age and body weight at sexual maturity in female White Leghorn chickens. Poult. Sci. 63:828-830.
- Kwakkel, R. P., J. A. W. Vanesch, B. J. Ducro and W. J. Koops. 1995. Onset of lay related to multiphasic growth and bodycomposition in white leghorn pullets provided ad-libitum and restricted diets. Poult. Sci. 74:821-832.
- Lee, K. H. and S. Leeson. 2001. Performance of broilers fed limited quantities of feed or nutrients during seven to fourteen days of age. Poult. Sci. 80:446-454.
- Preston, C. M., K. J. McCracken and A. McAllister. 2000. Effect of diet form and enzyme supplementation on growth, efficiency and energy utilisation of wheat-based diets for broilers. Br. Poult. Sci. 41:324-331.
- Susbilla, J. P., T. L. Frankel, G. Parkinson and C. B. Gow. 1994. Weight of internal organs and carcass yield of early food restricted broilers. Br. Poult. Sci. 35:677-685.
- Zubair, A. K. and S. Leeson. 1996. Compensatory growth in the broiler chicken: A review. World’s Poult. Sci. J. 52:189-201.
- Hamilton, R. M. G. and F. G. Proudfoot. 1995a. Effects of ingredient particle-size and feed form on the performance of leghorn hens. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 75:109-114.
- Nir, I., R. Hillel, I. Ptichi and G. Shefet. 1995. Effect of particlesize on performance 3. Grinding pelleting interactions. Poult. Sci. 74:771-783.
- Nir, I., Y. Twina, E. Grossman and Z. Nitsan. 1994. Quantitative effects of pelleting on performance, gastrointestinal tract and behaviour of meat-type chickens. Br. Poult. Sci. 35:589-602.
- Yu, M. W. and F. E. Robinson. 1992. The application of short-term feed restriction to broiler chicken production: a review. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 1:147-153.
- Zulkifli, I. 2003. Effects of early age feed restriction and dietary ascorbic acid on heterophil/lymphocyte and tonic immobility reactions of transported broiler chickens. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1545-1549.
- Hamilton, R. M. G. and F. G. Proudfoot. 1995b. Ingredient particle-size and feed texture - effects on the performance of broiler-chickens. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 51:203-210.
- Plavnik, I., E. Wax, D. Sklan and S. Hurwitz. 1997. The response of broiler chickens and turkey poults to steam-pelleted diets supplemented with fat or carbohydrates. Poult. Sci. 76:1006-1013.
- Choi, J. H., B. S. So, K. S. Ryu and S. L. Kang. 1986. Effects of pelleted or crumbled diets on the performance and the development of the digestive organs of broilers. Poult. Sci. 65:594-597.
- Wahlstrom, A., K. Elwinger and S. Thomke. 1999. Total tract and ileal nutrient digestibility of a diet fed as mash or crumbled pellets to two laying hybrids. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 77:229-239.
- Donaldson, W. E. 1990. Lipid metabolism in liver of chicks: Response to feeding. Poult. Sci. 69:1183-1187. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0691183
- Douglas, J. H., T. W. Sullivan, P. L. Bond, F. J. Stuwe, J. G. Baier and L. G. Robeson. 1990. Influence of grinding, rolling and pelleting on the nutritional value of grain sorghums and yellow corn for broilers. Poult. Sci. 69:2150-2156.
- Kilburn, J. and H. M. Edwards. 2001. The response of broilers to the feeding of mash or pelleted diets containing maize of varying particle sizes. Br. Poult. Sci. 42:484-492.
- Mazzuco, H., A. L. Guidoni and F. R. Jaenisch. 2000. Effects of qualitative feed restriction on compensatory growth in the broiler chicken. Pes. Agr. Bras. 35:543-549.
- Nir, I., Z. Nitsan, E. A. Dunnington and P. B. Siegel. 1996. Aspects of food intake restriction in young domestic fowl: Metabolic and genetic considerations. World’s Poult. Sci. J. 52:251-266.
- Picard, M., P. B. Siegel, C. Leterrier and P. A. Geraert. 1999. Diluted starter diet, growth performance, and digestive tract development in fast- and slow-growing broilers. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 8:122-131.
- Wang, H. Y., H. Chang, W. Xu, G. B. Chang, S. X. Lu, L. Du, W. Sun, M. Xu and Q. H. Wang. 2003. Preliminary study on the level of evolutionary differentiation between domestic quails and wild Japanese quails. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:266-268.
- Jensen, L. S. 2000. Influence of pelleting on the nutritional needs of poultry. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:35-46.
- Sabine, G., G. Henrich and H. L. Marks. 1995. Effects of feed restriction on growth and reproduction in random bred and selected lines of Japanese quail. Poult. Sci. 74:402-406.
- SPSS Inc. 1999. SPSS for Windows. (Release 10.0) Standard Version. SPSS Inc. Headquarters, 233 S. Wacker Drive, 11th floor Chicago, Illinois 60606
- Van der Ziel, C. E. and G. H. Visser. 2001. The effect of food restriction on morphological and metabolic development in two lines of growing Japanese quail chicks. Physiol. Biochemical Zool. 74:52-65.
- Mazzuco, H., F. R. Jaenisch and A. L. Guidoni. 1999. Qualitative feed restriction effects on growth performance, metabolic disorders and carcass traits of broiler chickens. Rev. Bras. Zootecn-Braz. J. Anim. Sci. 28:1333-1339.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia.
- Kirikci, K., O. Cetin, A. Gunlu and M. Garip. 2004. Effect of hen weight on egg production and some egg quality characteristics in pheasants (Phasianus colchicus). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:684-687.
- Lippens, M., G. Room, G. De Groote and E. Decuypere. 2000. Early and temporary quantitative food restriction of broiler chickens. 1. Effects on performance characteristics, mortality and meat quality. Br. Poult. Sci. 41:343-354.
- Zubair, A. K. and S. Leeson. 1994. Effect of varying period of early nutrient restriction on growth compensation and carcass characteristics of male broilers. Poult. Sci. 73:129-136.
- Dibner, J. J. and F. J. Ivey. 1990. Hepatic protein and amino acid metabolism in poultry. Poult. Sci. 69:1188-1194.
- Hassan, S. M., M. E. Mady, A. L. Cartwright, H. M. Sabri and M. S. Mobarak. 2003. Effect of early feed restriction on reproductive performance in Japanese quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica). Poult. Sci. 82:1163-1169.
- Palo, P. E., J. L. Sell, F. J. Piquer, M. F. Sotosalanova and L. Vilaseca. 1995. Effect of early nutrient restriction on broilerchickens. 1. Performance and development of the gastrointestinal-tract. Poult. Sci. 74:88-101.
- 1. Liver colourations as well as performance and digestive tract characteristics of broilers may change as influenced by stage and schedule of feed restriction vol.92, pp.5, 2008, doi:10.5713/ajas.2005.1479
- 2. Effects of humic substances supplementation provided through drinking water on performance, carcass traits and meat quality of broilers vol.94, pp.1, 2010, doi:10.5713/ajas.2005.1479
- 3. Catch-up growth in Japanese quail (Coturnix Japonica): relationships with food intake, metabolic rate and sex vol.183, pp.6, 2013, doi:10.5713/ajas.2005.1479
- 4. Food restriction alters energy allocation strategy during growth in tobacco hornworms (Manduca sexta larvae) vol.102, pp.7-8, 2015, doi:10.5713/ajas.2005.1479
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Ondokuz Mayis University