- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Thermal Properties of Muscle Proteins and Pork Quality
- Kuo, Hsiu-Lan (Department of Food Nutrient, Chung-Hwa College of Medical Technology) ;
- Chen, Ming-Tsao (Department of Food Nutrient, Chung-Hwa College of Medical Technology) ;
- Liu, Deng-Cheng (Department of Animal Science, National Chung-Hsing University) ;
- Lin, Lieh-Chin (Department of Animal Science, National Chung-Hsing University)
- Received : 2004.06.17
- Accepted : 2004.09.30
- Published : 2005.03.01
The purpose of this study was performed as model study using four animals to investigate the correction between the changes in Differential Scanning Calorimetry thermogram of muscle proteins during storage and meat freshness. M. longissimus dorsi of pork was obtained immediately after slaughter and chilled/stored at either
Association;Productive Traits;Polymorphism;Lipoprotein Lipase Gene;Pigs
- Boyle, J. L., R. C. Lindsay and D. A. Stuiber. 1991. Adenosine nucleotide degradation in modified atmosphere chill-stored fresh fish. J. Food Sci. 56:1267-1270.
- Chen, M. T. and S. L. Guo. 1992a. Studies on the microbial flora of Chinese-style sausage. 2. Action of selected organisms isolated from Chinese-style sausage on porcine muscle proteins. Fleischwirt. 72:1126-1128.
- Hamm, R. 1981. Postmortem changes in muscle affecting the quality of comminuted meat products. In 'Developments in Meat Sci. 2.' (Ed. R. Lawrie) Appl. Sci. Pub., Inc., London.
- Kijowski, J. M. and M. G. Mast. 1988. Thermal properties of proteins in chicken broiler tissues. J. Food Sci. 53:363-366.
- Okuma, H. and E. Watanabe. 2002. Flow system for fish freshness determination based on double multi-enzyme reactor electrodes. Biosensor and Bioelectronics 17:367-372.
- Park, J. W. and T. C. Lanier. 1988. Calorimetric changes during development of rigor mortis. J. Food Sci. 53:1312-1314, 1372.
- Saito, T. K. Ara and M. Matsuyoshi. 1959. A new method for estimating the freshness of fish. Bul. Japan. Soc. Sci. Fish 24:249-250.
- Watanable, A., H. Sato, E. Tsuneishi, M. Matsumoto and Y. Takimoto. 1992. Effect of slaughter methods on the postmortem changes of pH and ATP-related compounds of beef muscles. Jpn. Anim. Sci. Technol. 63:935-941.
- Hwang, I. H. and J. M. Thompson. 2002. A technique to quantify the extent postmortem degradation of meat ultrastructure. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:111-116.
- Cannon, J. E., J. B. Morgan, J. Heavner, F. K. McKeith, G. C. Smith and D. L. Meeker. 1995. Pork quality audit: A review of the factors influencing pork quality. J. Muscle foods. 6:369-402.
- Chen, M. T., C. P. Lee and D. C. Liu. 1992b. Studies on 2, 3- Diphosphoglycerate, pyruvate kinase and mitochondrial ATPase activities in PSS pig. Proceeding of 38th International Cong. Meat Sci. Technol. 3:345-346.
- Judge, M. D., E. D. Aberle, J. C. Forrest, H. B. Hedrick and R. A. Merkel. 1989. Principles of meat science. 2nd edition Kendall. pp. 85-133. Hunt pub. Co.
- Hofmann, K. 1988. pH a quality criterion for meat. Fleischwirt. 68:67-70.
- Jensen, K. N. and B. M. Jorgensen. 2003. Effect of storage conditions on differential scanning calorimetry profiles from thawed cod muscle. Lebensm-Wiss. U. Technol. 36:807-812.
- Ryder, J. M. 1985. Determination of ATP and its breakdown products in fish muscle by high-performance liquid chromatography. J. Agric. Food Chem. 33:678-680. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00064a027
- Wagner, J. R. and M. C. Anon. 1985. Denaturation kinetics of myofibrillar proteins in bovine muscle. J. Food Sci. 50:1547-1550.
- Wright, D. J., I. B. Leach and P. Wilding. 1977. DSCC studies of muscle and its constituent proteins. J. Sci. Food Agric. 28:577-564.
- Ehira, S. 1976. A biochemical study on the freshness of fish. Bull. Tokai. Reg. Fish Res. Labor. 88:1-132.
- Stabursvik, E. and H. Martens. 1980. Thermal denaturation of proteins in post-rigor muscle tissue as studies by differential scanning calorimetry. J. Sci. Food Agric. 31:1034-1042.
- Xiang, Y. L. and C. J. Brekke. 1990. Thermal transitions of salt soluble proteins from pre- and post-rigor chicken muscles. J. Food Sci. 55:1540-1543.
- Kimura, I. O., S. M. Sugimoto and T. O. Fujita. 1987. Measurement of fish flesh freshness by DSC. Netsu Sokutei. 14:37-38. Japan.
- Goodno, C. C. and C. A. Swenson. 1975. Thermal transitions of myosin and its helical fragments. II. Solvent-induced variations in conformational stability. Biochem. 14:873-878.
- Samejima, K., M. Ishioroshi and T. Yasui. 1983. Scanning calorimetric studies on the thermal denaturation of myosin and its subfragments. Agric. Biol. Chem. 47:2373-2379.
- AOAC. 1984. Official methods of Analysis, 14th ed., Association of Official American Chemists. Washington. DC. USA.
- SAS. 1995. SAS system for window 95 (Release 6.111). SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, USA.
- Stabursvik, E., K. Fretheim and T. Frostein. 1984. Myosin denaturation in pale, soft and exudative (PSE) porcine muscle tissue as studies by differential scanning calorimetry. J. Sci. Food Agric. 35:240-244.
- Laemmli, U. K. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature. 277:680-685.
- Chen, M. T., C. P. Lee and D. C. Liu. 1992. DSC Studies on thermal properties of muscle proteins in normal and PSE pork. Proceedings of 38th International Cong. Meat Sci. Technol. 3:347-350. France.
- Food and Drug Administration. 1975. FDA Bacteriological Analytical Manual for Food. 4th ed., FDA, Washington, DC. USA.
- Barbut, S. and C. J. Findlay. 1991. Influence of sodium, potassium and magnesium chloride on thermal properties of beef muscles. J. Food Sci. 56:180-182.