- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Urea Kinetics in Wethers Exposed to Different Ambient Temperatures at Three Dietary Levels of Crude Protein
- Sun, Sang-Soo (Department of Animal Science, Institute of Biotechnology, Chonnam National University) ;
- Christopherson, Robert J. (University of Alberta)
- Received : 2004.05.10
- Accepted : 2004.11.19
- Published : 2005.06.01
Eighteen Suffolk wether lambs (BW = 24 kg) were chronically exposed to temperatures of cold (2
Urea Recycling;Urea Flux;Crude Protein;Cold;Sheep
- Bunting, L. D., J. A. Boling, C. T. MacKown and G. M. Davenport. 1989. Effect of dietary protein level on nitrogen metabolism in the growing bovine: Diffusion into and utilization of endogenous urea nitrogen in the rumen. J. Anim. Sci. 67:820-826. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.673820x
- Egan, A. R. and M. J. Ulyatt. 1980. Quantitative digestion of fresh herbage by sheep. VI. Utilization of nitrogen five herbages. J. Agric. Sci. Camb. 74:47-56.
- FAO. 1985. Laboratory Training Manual on the Use of Nuclear Techniques in Animal Research. No. 248. IAEA/FAO, Vienna.
- Ford, A. L. and L. P. Milligan. 1970. Tracer studies of urea recycling in sheep. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 50:129-135.
- Kennedy, P. M. and L. P. Milligan. 1978b. Transfer of urea from the blood to the rumen of sheep. Br. J. Nutr. 40:149-154.
- McBride, G. E. and R. J. Christopherson. 1984. Effects of cold exposure on young growing lambs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 64:403-410.
- McIntyre, K. H. and V. J. Williams. 1970. The effect of intravenous urea infusions on nitrogen metabolism in sheep. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 21:5-105.
- Preston, R. L., D. D. Schnakenberg and W. H. Pfander. 1965. Protein Utilization in Ruminants. I. Blood Urea nitrogen as affected by protein intake. J. Nutr. 86:281-288.
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1980. Principles and Procedures of Statistics. McGraw-Hall Book Company. N.Y.
- Kennedy, P. M. and L. P. Milligan. 1980. The degradation and utilization of endogenous urea in the gastrointestinal tract of ruminants: a review. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 60:205-221.
- Moon, S. H., B. T. Jeon, S. K. Kang, S. H. Sung and R. J. Hudson. 2004. A study on the seasonal comparison of dry matter intake, digestibility, nitrogen balance and feeding behavior in spotted deer (Cervus nippon) fed forest by-products silage and corn silage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:80-85.
- Mugerwa, J. S. and H. R. Conrad. 1971. Relationship of dietary nonprotein nitrogen to urea kinetics in dairy cows. J. Nutr. 101:1331-1342.
- Chai, K., P. M. Kennedy, L. P. Milligan and G. W. Mathison. 1985. Effect of cold exposure and plant species on forage intake, chewing behavior and digesta particle size in sheep. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 65:69-76.
- Chilcott, M. J., S. A. Moore and I. D. Hume. 1985. Effects of water restriction on nitrogen metabolism and urea recycling in the macropodia marsupials Macropus eugenii (tammar Wallaby) and Thylogale thetis (red-necked pademelon). J. Comp. Physiol. B 155:759-767.
- Dixon, R. M. and L. P. Milligan. 1984. Nitrogen kinetics in the large intestine of sheep given bromegrass pellets. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 64:103-111.
- Schmidt-Nielsen, B., K. Schmidt-Nielsen, T. R. Houpt and S. A. Jarnum. 1957. Urea excretion in the camel. Am. J. Physiol. 188:477-484.
- Houpt, R. T. and K. A. Houpt. 1968. Transfer of urea nitrogen across the rumen wall. Am. J. Physiol. 214:1296-1303.
- Vercoe, J. E. 1969. The transfer of nitrogen from the blood to the rumen in cattle. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 20:191-197. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9690191
- McIntyre, K. H. 1970. The effects of increased nitrogen intakes on plasma urea nitrogen and rumen ammonia levels in sheep. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 21:501-507. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9700501
- Fawcett, J. K. and J. E. Scott. 1960. The rapid and precise method for the determination of urea. J. Clin. Path. 13:156-159.
- Kennedy, P. M., R. J. Christopherson and L. P. Milligan. 1986. Digestive responses to cold (Ed. L. P. Milligan, W. L. Grovum and A. Dobson). Control of Digestion and Metabolism in ruminants. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. pp. 285-306.
- Sun, S. S. and R. J. Christopherson. 2001. Impact of Ambient Temperature and Dietary Crude Protein in Wethers: Nitrogen Metabolism and Feed Efficiency. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14(9):1221-1227.
- Nolan, J. V. and S. Stachiw. 1979. Fermentation and nitrogen dynamics in Merino sheep given a low-quality-roughage diet. Br. J. Nutr. 42:63-79.
- Kennedy, P. M. and L. P. Milligan. 1978a. Effects of cold exposure on digestion, microbial synthesis and nitrogen transformation in sheep. Br. J. Nutr. 39:105-117.
- Huntington, G. B. 1987. Ureagenesis and site and rate of urea removal from blood of beef steers fed alfalfa hay or a high energy diet. in Rumen Function Congress. Chicago November 1987 (Abstr.).
- Obara, Y. and K. Shimbayashi. 1980. The appearance of re-cycled urea in the digestive tract of goats during the final third of a once daily feeding of a low-protein ration. Br. J. Nutr. 44:295-305.
- Godwin, I. R. and V. J. Williams. 1984. Renal control of plasma urea level in sheep: the diuretic effect of urea, potassium and sodium chloride. Quarterly J. Exp. Physiol. 69:49-59.
- Houpt, T. R. 1970. Transfer of urea and ammonia to the rumen (Ed A. T. Phillipson). Physiology of Digestion and Metabolism in the Ruminant. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Oriel Press. pp. 119-131.
- Mousa, H. M., K. E. Ali and I. D. Hume. 1983. Effects of water deprivation on urea metabolism camels, desert sheep and desert goats fed dry desert grass. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 74A:715-720.
- Nguyen, H. V., M. Kawai, J. Takahashi and S. Matsuoka. 2004. Change in nitrogen fractions and ruminal nitrogen degradability of orchardgrass and alfalfa during the ensiling process and the subsequent effects on nitrogen utilization by sheep. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1524-1528.
- Norton, B. W., R. M. Murray, K. W. Entwietle, J. V. Nolan, F. M. Ball and R. A. Leng. 1978. The nitrogen metabolism of sheep consuming flinders grass (Iseilema spp.), mitchell grass (Astrebla spp.) and mixed native pasture. Aust. Agric. Res. 29:595-603.
- Cocimano, M. R. and R. A. Leng. 1967. Metabolism of urea in sheep. Br. J. Nutr. 21:353-371.
- Nolan, J. V. and R. A. Leng. 1972. Dynamic aspects of ammonia and urea metabolism in sheep. Br. J. Nutr. 27:177-194.
- Christopherson, R. J. 1985. Management and housing of animals in cold environments (Ed. M. K. Yousef). Stress Physiology in Livestock II. Ungulates. CRC Press. pp. 175-194.
- Bunting, L. D., J. A. Boling, C. T. MacKown and R. B. Muntifering. 1987. Effect of dietary protein level on nitrogen metabolism in lambs: Studies using 15N-nitrogen. J. Anim. Sci. 64:855-867.
- Egan, A. R., K. Boda and J. Varady. 1986. Regulation of nitrogen metabolism and recycling (Ed. L. P. Milligan, W. L. Grovum and A. Dobson). Control of Digestion and Metabolism in ruminants. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. pp. 386-402.
- Davenport, G. M., J. A. Boling, N. Gay and L. D. Bunting. 1987. Effect of soybean lipid on growth and ruminal nitrogen metabolism in cattle fed soybean meal or ground whole soybeans. J. Anim. Sci. 65:1680-1689.
- Kennedy, P. M. and I. D. Hume. 1978. Recycling of urea nitrogen to the gut of the tammar wallaby (Macropus eugenii). Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 61A:117-121.