- Volume 18 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Studies on Inbreeding and Its Effects on Growth and Fleece Traits of Muzaffarnagari Sheep
- Mandal, Ajoy (Genetics and Breeding Division, Central Institute for Research on Goats) ;
- Pant, K.P. (Genetics and Breeding Division, Central Institute for Research on Goats) ;
- Notter, D.R. (Department of Animal and Poultry Sciences, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University) ;
- Rout, P.K. (Genetics and Breeding Division, Central Institute for Research on Goats) ;
- Roy, R. (Genetics and Breeding Division, Central Institute for Research on Goats) ;
- Sinha, N.K. (Genetics and Breeding Division, Central Institute for Research on Goats) ;
- Sharma, N. (Genetics and Breeding Division, Central Institute for Research on Goats)
- Received : 2004.09.26
- Accepted : 2005.04.12
- Published : 2005.10.01
A pedigree file of 4,738 records of a purebred flock of Muzaffarnagari sheep, maintained at Central Institute for Research on Goats (CIRG), Makhdoom, for a period of 24 years (1978 to 2001) was used to calculate inbreeding coefficients. The lambtraits studied were birth, 3, 6, 9 and 12 months weights as well as 6 and 12 months fleece yields. The lambs' and ewes' inbreeding coefficients ranged from 0 to 26.4% and 0 to 25%, respectively. The average inbreeding coefficient of lambs was higher than that of ewes in all periods as expected in a closed flock. Fluctuations in lamb and ewe inbreeding were observed in the periods under study. The percentages of animals in the higher inbred categories varied somewhat but generally were relatively constant. The mean rate of inbreeding was 0.63% per generation. The effective population size of the flock was 79.1. On average, an increase of 1% individual inbreeding significantly (p<0.05) reduced weights at birth by 0.010 kg, at 3 month by 0.048 kg, at 6 month by 0.075 kg, at 9 month by 0.129 kg and at 12 month by 0.112 kg. Ewes' inbreeding had non-significant effects on body weight at all ages. Effects of both lambs' and ewes' inbreeding had negative but non-significant effects on fleece weights at 6 and 12 months of age. Thus, inbreeding depression in lambs significantly reduced body weights from birth to 12 months of age but had a negligible effect on fleece yields.
Inbreeding Depression;Effective Population Size;Growth Traits;Fleece Weight
- Al-Shorepy, S. A. and D. R. Notter. 1997. Response to selection for fertility in a fall-lambing sheep flock. J. Anim. Sci. 75:2033-2040.
- Brown, C. J., C. A. Baugus and S. Sabin. 1961. Evaluation of factors affecting the growth of spring lambs. Bulletin Arkansas Agric. Exp. Station No., 646:20.
- Burrow, H. M. 1993. The effect of inbreeding in beef cattle. Anim. Breed. Abstr. 61:737-751.
- Ercanbrack, S. K. and A. D. Knight. 1991. Effects of inbreeding on reproduction and wool production of Rambouillet, Targhee, and Columbia ewes. J. Anim. Sci. 69:4734-4744.
- Galal, E. S. E., E. A. Afifi, S. El-Kimaray, I. A. Ahmad and A. F. Shawar. 1981. Lamb survival as affected by inbreeding and cross-breeding. J. Agric. Sci. UK. 96(1):1-5.
- Ghoneim, K. E. and W. McCarty. 1967. Studies on inbreeding in sheep. I. The effects of inbreeding on birth and weaning weights of no-tail lambs. J. Anim. Prod. United Arab Republic, 7:1-10.
- Harvey, W. R. 1990. User’s Guide for LSMLMW MIXMDL, PC-2 Version, Columbus, Ohio, USA.
- Lax, J. and G. H. Brown. 1968. The influence of maternal handicap, inbreeding and ewe’s body weight at 15-16 months of age on reproduction rate in Australian Merinos. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 19:433-442.
- Prod’Homme, P. and J. J. Lauvergne. 1993. The Merino Rambouillet flock in the National Sheep Fold in France. Small Rumin. Res. 10:303-315.
- Van Wyk, J. B., G. J. Erasmus and K. V. Konstatinov. 1993. Inbreeding in the Elsenburg Dormer sheep stud. South Afr. J. Anim. Sci. 23(3/4):77-80.
- Mandal, A., K. P. Pant, P. K. Rout and R. Roy. 2004. Effects of inbreeding on lamb survival in a flock of Muzaffarnagari sheep. Asia-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(5): 594-597.
- Boujenane, I. and A. Chami. 1997. Effects of inbreeding on reproduction, weights and survival of Sardi and Beni Guil sheep. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 114:23-31.
- Analla, M., J. M. Montilla and J. M. Serradilla. 1998. Analyses of lamb weight and ewe litter size in various lines of Spanish Merino sheep. Small Rum. Res. 29:255-259.
- Mandal, A., L. B. Singh and P. K. Rout. 2000: The Muzaffarnagari sheep, a mutton breed in India. Animal Genetic Resources Information, Rome, Food and Agricultural Organization, 28:19-25.
- Ercanbrack, S. K and A. D. Knight. 1981. Weaning weight comparisons among inbred lines and selected non-inbred and randomly bred control group of Rambouillet, Targhee and Columbia sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 52(5):977-988.
- Lamberson, W. R., D. L. Thomas and K. E. Rowe. 1982. The effect of inbreeding in a flock of Hampshire sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 55(4):780-786.
- Lax, J., and G. H. Brown. 1967. The effects of inbreeding, maternal handicap and range in age on 10 month fleece and body characteristics in Merino rams and ewes. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 18:689-706.
- Lamberson, W. R. and D. L. Thomas. 1984. Effects of inbreeding in sheep: a review. Anim. Breed. Abstr. 52:287-297.
- Falconer, D. S. 1989. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, NY.
- Morley, F. H. W. 1954. Selection for economic characters in Australian Merino sheep. IV. The effect of inbreeding. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 5:305-315.
- Terrill, C. E., G. M. Sidwell, L. N. Hazel. 1947. Effects of some environmental factors on yearling traits of Columbia and Targhee ewes. J. Anim. Sci. 6:115-122.
- Ragab, M. T. and A. A. Asker. 1954. Effects of inbreeding on a flock of Ossimi sheep. J. Hered. 45:89-91.
- Bhat, P. N., B. U. Khan, S. K. Koul and S. K. Bhadula. 1978. Breed characteristics of Muzaffarnagri sheep. Ind. J. Anim. Sci. 48(7):506-510.
- Terrill, C. E., G. M. Sidwell and L. N. Hazel. 1948. Effects of some environmental factors on yearling traits of Columbia and Targhee rams. J. Anim. Sci. 7:181-190.
- Wiener, G., G. J. Lee and J. A. Woolliams. 1992. Effects of rapid inbreeding and of crossing inbred lines on the body weight growth of sheep. Anim. Prod. 55:89-99.
- Pedigree analysis of the Nilagiri sheep of South India vol.53, pp.2078-6344, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1017/S2078633613000301