- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Intraruminal Sucrose Infusion on Volatile Fatty Acid Production and Microbial Protein Synthesis in Sheep
- Kim, K.H. (Nutrition and Physiology Division, National Livestock Research Institute, RDA) ;
- Lee, S.S. (College of Agriculture and Life Science, Gyeong Sang National University) ;
- Kim, K.J. (Department of Animal Resources Science, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2004.05.19
- Accepted : 2004.10.07
- Published : 2005.03.01
Effects of sucrose supplement on the pattern of VFA production and microbial protein synthesis in the rumen were examined in sheep consuming basal diet of grass silage (2.5 kg fresh wt/d) that was provided in 24 equal meals each day by an automatic feeder. Four mature wethers were allocated to four experimental treatments in a 4
Branched-chain Fatty Acid;Grass Silage;Microbial Protein Synthesis;Sucrose
- Chamberlain, D. G., P. C. Thomas, W. D. Wilson, C. J. Newbold and J. C. MacDonald. 1985. The effects of carbohydrate supplements on ruminal concentration of ammonia in animals given diets of grass silage. J. Agric. Sci. 104:331-340.
- Chamberlain, D. G., P. A. Martin, S. Robertson and E. A. Hunter. 1992. Effects of the type of additive and the type of supplement of the utilization of grass silage for milk production in dairy cows. Grass Forage Sci. 47:391-399.
- Cummins, K. A. and A. H. Papas. 1985. Effects of isocarbon-4 and isocarbon-5 volatile fatty acids on microbial protein synthesis and dry matter digestibility in vitro. J. Dairy Sci. 68:2588-2595.
- Kim, K. H., Y-G. Oh, J-J. Choung and D. G. Chamberlain. 1999. Effects of varying degree of synchrony of energy and nitrogen release in the rumen on the synthesis of microbial protein in cattle consuming grass silage. J. Sci. Food Agric. 79:833-838.
- Oh, Y. G., K. H. Kim, J. J. Choung and D. G. Chamberlain. 1999. The effect of the form of nitrogen in the diet on ruminal fermentation and the yield of microbial protein in sheep consuming diets of grass silage supplemented with starch or sucrose. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 78:227-237.
- Thomas, P. C., D. G. Chamberlain. N. C. Kelly and M. K. Wait. 1980. The nutritive value of silages. Digestion of nitrogenous constituents in sheep receiving diets of grass silage and barley. Br. J. Nutr. 43:469-479.
- Susmel, P., B. Stefanon, E. Plazzotta, M. Sphanghero and C. F. Mills. 1994. The effect of energy and protein intake on the excretion of purine derivatives. J. Agric Sci. (Camb.) 123:257-265.
- Lawes Agricultural Trust. 1990. Genstat 5, Rothamsted Experimental Station, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, UK.
- Judkins, M. B., J. D. Wallace, M. L. Galyean, L. J. Krysl and E. E. Parker. 1987. Passage rates, rumen fermentation and weight change in protein supplemented grazing cattle. J. Range Manage. 40:100-105.
- Hefner, D. L., L. L. Berger and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 1985. Branchedchain fatty acid supplementation of corn crop residue diets. J. Anim. Sci. 61:1264-1276.
- ARC. 1984. The nutrient requirements of ruminant livestock. Supplement No 1, Agricultural Research Council, Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaus, Farnham Royal, Slough, Berkshire, UK.
- Cushnahan, A., C. S. Mayne and E. F. Unsworth. 1995. Effects of ensilage of grass on performance and nutrient utilization by dairy cattle. 2. Nutrient metabolism and rumen fermentation. Anim. Sci. 60:347-359.
- Huhtanen, P. J. 1987. The effects of intraruminal infusion of sucrose and xylose on nitrogen and fiber digestion in the rumen and intestines of cattle receiving diets of grass silage and barley. Journal of Agricultural Science in Filand. 59:405- 424.
- Huhtanen, P. J., H. O. Miettinen and V. F. J. Toivonen. 1997. Effects of silage fermentation and post-ruminal casein supplementation in lactating dairy cows. 1. Diet digestion and milk production. J. Sci. Food Agric. 74:450-458.
- Krysl, L. J., M. L. Galyean, M. B. Judkins, M. E. Branine and R. E. Estell. 1987. Digestive physiology of steers grazing fertilized and non-fertilized blue grama rangeland. J. Range Manage. 40:493-501.
- ARC. 1980. The nutrient requirements of ruminant livestock. Agricultural Research Council, Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaus, Farnham Royal, Slough, Berkshire, UK.
- Fujihara, T., E. R Orskov, P. J. Reeds and D. J. Kyle. 1987. The effect of protein infusion on urinary excretion of purine derivatives in ruminants nourished by intragastric infusion. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb.) 109:7-12.
- Allison, M. J. 1969. Biosynthesis of amino acids by ruminal microorganisms. J. Anim. Sci. 28:797-807.
- Kim, K. H., S. S. Lee, B. T. Jeon and C. W. Kang. 2000. Effects of the pattern of energy supply on the efficiency of nitrogen utilization for microbial protein synthesis in the non-lactating cows consuming grass silage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13 (7):962-966.
- Borchers, R. 1977. Allantoin determination. Anal. Biochem. 79:612-613.
- Miettinen, H. O. and P. J. Huhtanen. 1997. Effects of silage fermentation and post-ruminal casein supplementation in lactating dairy cows: 2. Energy metabolism and plama amino acid. J. Sci. Food Agric. 74:459-468.
- Gunter, S. A., L. J. Krysl, M. B. Judkins, J. T. Broesder and R. K. Barton. 1990. Influence of branched-chain fatty acid supplementation on voluntary intake, site and extent of digestion, ruminal fermentation, digesta kinetics and microbial protein synthesis in beef heifers consuming grass hay. J. Anim. Sci. 68:2885-2892.
- Orskov, E. R. 1982. Protein nutrition in ruminants. Academic press INC. London.
- Effect of flow parameters of rumen digesta on effective degradability and microbial yield in sheep vol.80, pp.4, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2009.00654.x
- Effects of starch and protein sources on starch disappearance in the gastrointestinal tract of Hanwoo (Korean native) steers vol.81, pp.3, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2010.00750.x
- Review: Effects of feeding sugars on productivity of lactating dairy cows vol.91, pp.1, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4141/CJAS10069
- Review: Sugar beets as a substitute for grain for lactating dairy cattle vol.8, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40104-017-0154-8