- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Genetic Variants of Mitochondrial DNA and Growth Traits in Hanwoo Cattle
- Jeon, G.J. (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Chung, H.Y. (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Choi, J.G. (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Lee, M.S. (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Lee, C.W. (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Park, J.J. (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Ha, J.M. (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Lee, H.K. (Hankyong National University) ;
- Sung, H.H. (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Livestock Research Institute)
- Received : 2004.05.05
- Accepted : 2004.11.13
- Published : 2005.03.01
Genetic variants of Hanwoo mtDNA in the region of cytochrome oxidase subunit I, II and III complex were detected using restriction enzymes. PCR primers were designed based on the bovine mtDNA sequence, and 6 primer sets (Mt4, Mt5, Mt6, Mt7, Mt8 and Mt9) were used. A total of 20 restriction enzymes were used, and 6 restriction enzymes, which were Hinf I, Pvu II, Rsa I, Eco RI, Bgl II, and Msp I, showed genetic polymorphisms. Significant associations between genetic variants and weight traits were observed at WT15 (p<0.05) and WT18 (p<0.01) with Pvu II for Mt9, Bgl II for Mt6 and Rsa I for Mt8 segments in the region of cytochrome oxidase subunit complex. Significant associations were also observed at Mt9-Pvu II and Mt6-Bgl II segments for WT9 (p=0.01), WT12 (p=0.02), respectively. These results suggest that genetic variants of mtDNA in the region of cytochrome oxidase subunit complex may be candidate segments for improvement of animal growth as weight traits.
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Boffoli, D., S. C. Scacco, R. Vergari, M. T. Persio, G. Solarino, R. Laforgia and S. Papa. 1996. Ageing is associated in females with a decline in the content and activity of the b-c1 complex in skeletal muscle mitochondria. Biochem. Biophys. Acta. 1315:6672.
- Cooper, J. M., V. M. Mann and A. H. V. Schapira. 1992. Analyses of mitochondrial respiratory chain function and mitochondrial DNA deletion in human skeletal muscle: effect of ageing. J Neurol. Sci. 113:9198.
- Harman, D. 1972. The biologic clock: the mitochondria? J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 20:145147, 1972
- Liu, Z. U., C. Z. Lei1, J. Luo, C. Ding, G. H. Chen, H. Chang, K. H. Wang, X. X. Liu, X. Y. Zhang, X. J. Xiao and S. L. Wu. 2004. Genetic variability of mtDNA sequences in Chinese native chicken breeds. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:903-909.
- Marin-Garcia, J., R. Ananthakrishnan, N. Agrawal and M. J. Goldenthal. 1994. Mitochondrial gene expression during bovine cardiac growth and development. J. Mol. Cell Cardiol. 26:10291036.
- Yen, T. C., Y. S. Chen, K. L. King, S. H. Yeh and Y. H. Wei. 1989. Liver mitochondrial respiratory functions decline with age. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 165:994-1003.
- Chung, H. Y. and E. R. Chung. 1995. Polymorphism of mitochondrial DNA based on restriction endonuclease cleavage patterns in Holstein and Korean native cattle. Korean J. Dairy Sci. 17(2):102-112.
- Amano, T., Y. Miyakoshi, T. Tokada, T. Kikkawa and M. Suzuki. 1994. Genetic variants of ribosomal DNA and mitochondrial DNA between swamp and river buffaloes. Anim. Genet. 25:29-36.
- Faust, M. A., O. W. Robinson and B. T. McDaniel. 1989. The effects of cytoplasm on reproduction and production in Holsteins. J. Dairy Sci. 72:52.
- NRC. 1984. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle (6th Ed.). National Academy Press, Washington, DC. SAS (1985) SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC.
- Brierley, E. J., M. A. Johnson, O. F. W. James and D. M. Turnbull. 1996. Effects of physical activity and age on mitochondrial function. Q J. Med. 89:251258.
- Linnane, A. W., S. Marzuki, T. Ozawa and M. Tanaka. 1989. Mitochondrial DNA mutations as an important contributor to ageing and degenerative diseases. Lancet 1:42645.
- Trounce, I., E. Byrne and S. Marzuki. 1989. Decline in skeletal muscle mitochondrial respiratory chain function: possible factor in ageing. Lancet 1:637639.
- Marin-Garcia, J., R. Ananthakrishnan, N. Agrawal and M. J. Goldenthal. 1997. Human mitochondrial function during cardiac growth and development. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 210:47-52.
- Boffoli, D., S. C. Scacco, Vergari, R. Solarino, G. Santacroce and S. Papa. 1994. Decline with age of the respiratory chain activity in human skeletal muscle. Biochem. Biophys. Acta 1226:7382.
- Muller-Hocker, J. 1990. Cytochrome c oxidase deficient fibres in the limb muscle and diaphragm of man without muscular disease: an age-related alteration. J. Neurol Sci. 100:1421.
- Watanabe, T., Y. Hayashi, R. Semba and N. Ogasawara. 1985. Bovine mitochondrial DNA in restriction endonuclease cleavage patterns and the location of the polymorphic sites. Biochem. Genet. 26:947-957.
- Fleming, J. E., J. Miquel, S. F. Cottrell, L. S. Yengoyan and A. C. Economos. 1982. Is cell aging caused by respiration-dependent injury to the mitochondrial genome? Gerontology 28:4453.
- Laipis, P. J., C. J. Wilcox and W. W. Hauswirth. 1982. Nucleotide sequence variation in mitochondrial deoxyribonucleic acid from bovine liver. J. Dairy Sci. 65:1655-1662.
- Watanabe, T., T. S. Masangkay, S. Wakana, N. Saitou and T. Tomita. 1989. Mitochondrial DNA polymorphism in native Philippine cattle based on restriction endonuclease cleavage patterns. Biochem. Genet. 27:431-438.
- Anderson, S., A. T. Bankier, B. G Barrell, M. H. De Bruijn, A. R. Coulson, J. Drouin, I. C. Eperon, D. P. Nierlich, B. A. Roe, F. Sanger, P. H. Schreier, A. J. Smith, R. Staden and I. G. Young. 1981. Sequence and organization of the human mitochondrial genome. Nature 290:457-465.
- Bhat, P. P., B. P. Mishar and P. N. Bhat. 1990. Polymorphism of mitochondrial DNA in cattle and buffaloes. Biochem. Genet. 28:311-318.
- Elizabeth, J. B., A. J. Margaret, F. W. J. Oliver and M. T. Douglass. 1997. Mitochondrial involvement in the ageing process. Facts and controversies. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 174:325-328.
- Brown, W. M. 1980. Polymorphism in mitochondrial DNA of human as revealed by restriction endonuclease analysis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 77:3605-3609. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.77.6.3605
- Mannen, H., T. Kojima, K. Ojama, F. Mukai, T. Ishida and S. Tsuji. 1998. Effects of mitochondrial DNA variation on carcass traits of Japanese Black cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 76:36-41.
- Cytochrome b Genetic Diversity and Maternal Origin of Chinese Domestic Donkey vol.48, pp.7-8, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10528-010-9345-0